The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Predators shopping Filip Forsberg

9 hours ago, mll said:

Doesn't mean he's getting that kind of contract.  A team has to be willing to qualify him at that amount and there might not be any, with the risk that he signs that 1-year deal.  Forsberg is a UFA producing upwards of PPG and already has 27 goals on the season.  

If he doesn't get qualified, doesn't he become a UFA?

7 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Yes.  If Boeser is not given a QO, he becomes UFA.

The QO retains his rights while the team and player continue negotiations.

13 minutes ago, HKSR said:

The qualifying offer is due on 11 July - that's several months from now.  They can already agree on a deal today.  

10 minutes ago, BPA said:

Yes.  If Boeser is not given a QO, he becomes UFA.

The QO retains his rights while the team and player continue negotiations.

He could theoretically just accept the QO and move on though, no?

5 minutes ago, mll said:

The qualifying offer is due on 11 July - that's several months from now.  They can already agree on a deal today.  

I get that, but what I'm saying is if he doesn't agree on a deal before then, he could simply accept his QO and move on to next year.  What happens to his QO next year (as I believe he's still an RFA next year)?

4 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I get that, but what I'm saying is if he doesn't agree on a deal before then, he could simply accept his QO and move on to next year.  What happens to his QO next year (as I believe he's still an RFA next year)?

If he signs his QO, it will also be a 7.5M QO a year later.   

3 minutes ago, HKSR said:

He gets to do the same thing next year and walk to free agency.

We also can’t take him to team elected arbitration as he gets to pick the term, which would obviously be two years to walk him to free agency.

Even if we are in a playoff push at the deadline it would still be prudent to trade him if possible.  It can be a deal that doesn’t hurt our chances but also frees up cap space  (Boeser and Poolman for Zacha and Severson)

Just now, mll said:

If he signs his QO, it will also be a 7.5M QO a year later.   

Just now, Provost said:

He gets to do the same thing next year and walk to free agency.

We also can’t take him to team elected arbitration as he gets to pick the term, which would obviously be two years to walk him to free agency.

Even if we are in a playoff push at the deadline it would still be prudent to trade him if possible.  It can be a deal that doesn’t hurt our chances but also frees up cap space  (Boeser and Poolman for Zacha and Severson)

Right... so there's very little incentive for him to be taking much less than $7.5M.  He's guaranteed that for 2 years, and he can bet on himself to play well in year 2 to rake it in through free agency as a UFA.  In other words, we're not gonna sign him for much less than $7.5M. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Right... so there's very little incentive for him to be taking much less than $7.5M.  He's guaranteed that for 2 years, and he can bet on himself to play well in year 2 to rake it in through free agency as a UFA.  In other words, we're not gonna sign him for much less than $7.5M. 

or they simply don't qualify him and still try and negotiate a deal with him.  He can't be thinking that a team is going to pay him 7.5M as a UFA.  

Edited by mll

9 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Agreed. The people who think he’s going to sign for $6 million when he’s guaranteed $7.5 million for the next two years need to give their head a shake. 

2 minutes ago, mll said:

or they simply don't qualify him and still try and negotiate a deal with him.  He can't be thinking that a team is going to pay him 7.5M as a UFA.  

You don't think so?  UFA season is silly season.  He'd arguably be one of the best forwards available, especially since he's younger too.  I'm sure someone would pay him $7M to $7.5M on a long term deal.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, mll said:

or they simply don't qualify him and still try and find a deal with him.  He can't be thinking that a team is going to pay him 7.5M as a UFA.  

Maybe not but why would JR take a chance at losing him for nothing?  That would be gross incompetence. Worse than anything Benning ever did. 

• Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Basically ya, maybe he signs for less… but he has been able to do that since last summer and hasn’t.  Do folks think Benning didn’t reach out to see what an extension would cost?

8 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Maybe not but why would JR take a chance at losing him for nothing?  That would be gross incompetence. Worse than anything Benning ever did. 

Agreed.  The moment he goes UFA, he can talk to any team now and get the best deal he can.  UFA at age 25yr, if Canucks don’t give a QO.

1 minute ago, Provost said:

Basically ya, maybe he signs for less… but he has been able to do that since last summer and hasn’t.  Do folks think Benning didn’t reach out to see what an extension would cost?

What are you referring to when you say "he has been able to do that since last summer and hasn't"?  You mean his play? or his QO?

The way people have come after me for defending some of Benning's good work leads me to believe folks think Benning had no foresight whatsoever.  So no, I don't think folks think Benning reached out to see what an extension would cost lol

12 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Which team is going to want to give up assets for him and then risk having him sign his QO.

5 minutes ago, HKSR said:

What are you referring to when you say "he has been able to do that since last summer and hasn't"?  You mean his play? or his QO?

The way people have come after me for defending some of Benning's good work leads me to believe folks think Benning had no foresight whatsoever.  So no, I don't think folks think Benning reached out to see what an extension would cost lol

Boeser has been able to sign a long term extension since last summer.  He hasn’t as of yet.

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, mll said:

Which team is going to want to give up assets for him and then risk having him sign his QO.

I've been racking my brain trying to remember, but I'm almost certain teams have permitted other teams to discuss an extension with an RFA prior to moving them... I could be wrong though.

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, Provost said:

Boeser has been able to sign a long term extension since last summer.  He hasn’t as of yet.

Which is actually working against him.

Hes on pace for 50 points this season.

No way he’s worth more than 7 at this point. If he’s willing to sign for 6-6.5 mil I’d be happy.