The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at New York Islanders | Mar. 03, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

4 hours ago, bigbadcanucks said:

Garrett is hands down one of the worst color commentators in the history of hockey.  When was the last time you heard anything insightful from the guy called Cheech?  He's a homer, which is fine but I'll always put on another feed if available so I can hear some intelligent color commentary. 

Doesn't the constant repeating of himself bother you?  Must be me.

Garrett couldn't carry Larscheid's jock.

Well, I'd say Dennis Portvin, the Florida colour commentator, calling Daniel Sedin a low life was worse than Garrett, and tbh A LOT of the American colour commentators have zero knowledge or interest in speaking about the opposition... 

Listened to the Sharks feed a few weeks back... me heed and ears were bleeding... 

4 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

If @Curmudgeon is correct about other teams, in 31 games, we've caught

6 pts on Vegas

8 pts on Cgy

10 pts on Edmonton 

12 on Anaheim 

26 games left to go and we're 4-5 pts out... 

It'll be interesting

It could come to the last games of the season...

Brilliant for entertainment, less so for the nerves... :)

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

Although games like NJ and seeing BB completely befuddled at how the team didn't show up is pretty telling as to how the team was coached prior and that the bad habits are tough to break. 

Boeser said in his interview last night the difference is that the team is working harder... Like what the hell is that? He caught himself to say that, it's not like the team wasnt working hard before but now they are working harder... Lol the only way i interpret that was that the team wasn't giving it their all under Green but there was no accountability so it instilled bad habits that they are still trying to break. 

I went back and looked up all the no show games under TG vs BB. 

Canucks no showed in 8-9 games out of 25 under TG. Thats approximately 1 no show per every 3 games. I mean no show not as in losing a game but as in unprepared to play and losing to a team they should beat or getring blown out by a better team. 

Under BB, it was 3 out of 31.

Thats 1 in 10 games where the team puts up a dud. 

We're getting a lot more consistent but BB is pushing all the right buttons. 

That loss to NJ came after 3 wins in a row including kicking the crap out of Cgy. Previously, we might hear something like, "we've been playing some good hockey and didn't show up prepared to play today. We'll chalk it up and get ready for next game " those were honestly the type of crap we were hearing postgame. 

BB was so frustrated postgame. He was talking about all the meetings, prepwork, pregame talk. This is a culture change folks. 

Previous staff was ok with mediocrity. 

Im glad we have JR and BB and the redt of the new exec team. 

They have no ties to any of the players. 

If they dont see hunger and a will to win, they will ship them out. Thats the only way we'll get better. 

Very true and very sad, if this is the case.... 

There is no excuse for not working as hard as you can ay all times, regardless of who the manager is...

If players have that in them, they should be traded, no matter how they look now. At some stage they'll throw Bruce under a bus as well, in this is the case...

Leopards rarely change their spots...

9 hours ago, iinatcc said:

In hindsight yes I would agree. The only thing that gave me pause was that I was worried firing a coach after resigning him would give the organization a bad reputation. But looking at how Rutherford is trying to turn that perception around and that Bruce signed with Canucks instantly, that probably wasn't a big worry.

Well a lot of hiring Green in the first place was that a lot of fans were screaming for the hire since he was rumoured to have reasonable success with the young players in his stead, however true or not, a lot of fans jumped on the TG bandwagon especially since TG got the team to over perform in the bubble that led to the re-hire, save that, I doubt he'd have stayed and we'd have had someone new. management, whoever they are in the future and JR and co. now need to ignore the fans and build, not try to buy past our means and trade away picks, it's never getting us anywhere and never will. 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, spook007 said:

It could come to the last games of the season...

Brilliant for entertainment, less so for the nerves... :)

But real good for the team!

When we make it into the playoffs, we will have been one of, if not, the hottest teams in the league in the 2nd half of the season (arguably the most important half - eh Cup Winners St Lou?).

We will be primed and pumped, and ready to rumble.

[Now if we could just add a coupl'a meathook wingers...]

The West Right Now:

67 Pts MINN - 3rd in their conference.

65 LA - 2nd in our conference.

64 EDM - 3rd in ours.

64 NASH - 1st Wild Card

64 VEG - 2nd and Last Wild Card

63 DAL - 1st Out

61 ANA - 2nd Out

60 VANCOUVER - 3 spots out of the Last Wild Card.

All other teams in the West have 70 or more points, or 59 or less points.

Keep all those below us, below us.

Keep winning.

Get in the playoffs.

Win 16 more games = The Cup

Now, that there is some real good math.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, IBatch said:

Sure.   Whatever floats your boat.   Was at the Sens game it was fun to watch us beat them.   Also pretty sure the Sens went on to beat a top team their next game.    Why denigrate a win, especially when we didn't just beat them, we dominated them.  

I think it was speaking more on the context of Green's coaching which wasn't at all effective this season before he got fired. 

24 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Well, I'd say Dennis Portvin, the Florida colour commentator, calling Daniel Sedin a low life was worse than Garrett, and tbh A LOT of the American colour commentators have zero knowledge or interest in speaking about the opposition... 

Listened to the Sharks feed a few weeks back... me heed and ears were bleeding... 

To be fair though the Islanders have one of the best regional crews in the sport.  The play by play and colour commentator are up to national standards.  Very professional and try to be unbiased for the most part.

• Cheers 1

Just now, Goal:thecup said:

When we make it into the playoffs, we will have been one of, if not, the hottest teams in the league in the 2nd half of the season (arguably the most important half - eh Cup Winners St Lou?).

The West Right Now:

64 EDM - 3rd in ours.

64 NASH - 1st Wild Card

63 DAL - 1st Out

61 ANA - 2nd Out

Keep winning.

Get in the playoffs.

Not only Blues but Kings as well...

You want to be hot rolling into the play offs...  The stat I really like about this team just now, is the bounce back stat...

For every loss they are straight back into the win column... That's what great teams do...

• Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, spook007 said:

I don't know, Garret is awful, if it's not fans here rioting making all us Vancouver fans look like complete idiots, then Vancouver media who is absolutely bush league at best proves we have the worst fans, media, and commentator's arguably in the whole league. 

Don't get me wrong, there are some good fans out there but the rest of it, media and commentator's are useless as our government and city hall..  

Meh, it's our lot in life as a Canucks fan but whatever. 

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Not only Blues but Kings as well...

You want to be hot rolling into the play offs...  The stat I really like about this team just now, is the bounce back stat...

For every loss they are straight back into the win column... That's what great teams do...

True of course BUT we have nor the size or depth to get anywhere in the post season. The hype and excitement would be fun while it lasted but it wouldn't last long sadly

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, iceman64 said:

I don't know, Garret is awful, if it's not fans here rioting making all us Vancouver fans look like complete idiots, then Vancouver media who is absolutely bush league at best proves we have the worst fans, media, and commentator's arguably in the whole league. 

Don't get me wrong, there are some good fans out there but the rest of it, media and commentator's are useless as our government and city hall..  

One of the things I like about Cheech is his eyesight; he is seldom wrong and usually sees things the ordinary viewer (i.e. non-goalie) can miss.

Shorty on the other hand is blind and dotty now with all that ramble and fish-all play-by-play; he's done, imo.

And, I guess if Shorty goes, Cheech will probably pack it in too; maybe both gone post-Covid, etc.

It is too much generalization, imo, to say Vancouver this or that; Nux fan rioted, for example, we did not riot.

Idiots who were not fans and organized crime rioted to get at the stores.

Our media spends too much time looking through the chicken guts and not enough time doing proper analysis and research.

Journalism is dead, only the stupid loud ones get clicks.

CDC rocks.

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

1 minute ago, iceman64 said:

True of course BUT we have nor the size or depth to get anywhere in the post season. The hype and excitement would be fun while it lasted but it wouldn't last long sadly

Very likely, but I still would rather watch a team that tries hard, and hopefully wins, than sucks for the hope of better draft position...

Yes it would probably be the 8th wonder, should they do real well, but they did take a few by surprise a few years back...

But yes odd would be stacked against us

18 minutes ago, iceman64 said:

Well a lot of hiring Green in the first place was that a lot of fans were screaming for the hire since he was rumoured to have reasonable success with the young players in his stead, however true or not, a lot of fans jumped on the TG bandwagon especially since TG got the team to over perform in the bubble that led to the re-hire, save that, I doubt he'd have stayed and we'd have had someone new. management, whoever they are in the future and JR and co. now need to ignore the fans and build, not try to buy past our means and trade away picks, it's never getting us anywhere and never will. 

Yup i had the bubble blinders on. It's so obvious now that he was in over his head. 

4 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

The West Right Now:

64 EDM - 3rd in ours.

64 NASH - 1st Wild Card

63 DAL - 1st Out

61 ANA - 2nd Out

Keep winning.

Get in the playoffs.

It's gonna be close.  Let's say the bar is 95 points.  The Canucks need 35 points in 26 games.  Meanwhile a team like LA only needs 30 points in 27 games.  They need 1.11 PPG compared to our 1.35.  It's doable, but by no means easy.  We'd have to continue a 0.673 win% all the way to the end while LA only needs 0.555.  Another big winning streak would help.  For example if the Canucks could win 7 of their next 8 games (beating the Laffs, Canadiens, Devils, Red Wings, Sabres, and 2 of the Flames, Caps, and Lightning), the math gets much easier with only needing a 0.583 win% from that point on which is the current playoff bar's total so we'd only have to play average hockey for the most part from there on out.

4 minutes ago, iceman64 said:

We are already beating all the teams; where is the team we cannot beat?

And who is the Big Bogeyman?

(Still need some meat-hooks I agree.)

8 minutes ago, iceman64 said:

Yeah I can only say I pity all the fans in Vancouver, who have to listen to such often negative reporting about the local team... 

An NHL team should be something to be proud of, not to be belittling...

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

One of the things I like about Cheech is his eyesight; he is seldom wrong and usually sees things the ordinary viewer (i.e. non-goalie) can miss.

Shorty on the other hand is blind and dotty now with all that ramble and fish-all play-by-play; he's done, imo.

And, I guess if Shorty goes, Cheech will probably pack it in too; maybe both gone post-Covid, etc.

It is too much generalization, imo, to say Vancouver this or that; Nux fan rioted, for example, we did not riot.

Idiots who were not fans and organized crime rioted to get at the stores.

Our media spends too much time looking through the chicken guts and not enough time doing proper analysis and research.

Journalism is dead, only the stupid loud ones get clicks.

CDC rocks.

Ok, commenting on Garrett's professionalism is one thing, but Shorty?  Guy is the best in the business what are you on?

5 minutes ago, Rindiculous said:

Ok, commenting on Garrett's professionalism is one thing, but Shorty?  Guy is the best in the business what are you on?

Shorty misses the call all the time.

He misses whether it is a penalty or not.

He misses if and who might have tipped a shot.

And he talks on and on about SFA of any import to the game.

Actually on some pretty cool stuff, again, imo...

Edited by Goal:thecup
grammar

5 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

I believe we are 19-8-4 since BB took over which would be tops in the West.

I said 17-8-4, which was incorrect. You said 19-8-4, which is also incorrect. Since Bruce took over, the record is 18-8-4 for 40 points. LA has 41 pts in that time frame.