The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Maple Leafs trade Travis Dermott to Canucks for 2022 3rd-round pick

5 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

Yeah, I get that, but it seems like they listened to all their new staff and decided they liked the guy, and just went after him.

Was that talk about a 'bidding war' real, or just TO pump?

Ha ha I agree somewhat. Just ribbing you a bit. I think there was probably a little interest. I imagine the analytics department went in on him and our supposed interest let them hold out a bit. At the end of the day the extra third made it easier to part with. I'm not a fan who worries to much about 3rd round and lower but I wouldn't mind facing this mini retool with an abundance of picks for once either.

Not sure why people are complaining?

We shipped out Hamonic and got a 3rd (which is miraculous) and used that third to acquire Dermott who is younger and cheaper than Hamonic. We replaced Hamonic with Dermott while creating cap space....fans will literally complain about anything regardless of situation lol.

Just now, Gawdzukes said:

Ha ha I agree somewhat. Just ribbing you a bit. I think there was probably a little interest. I imagine the analytics department went in on him and our supposed interest let them hold out a bit. At the end of the day the extra third made it easier to part with. I'm not a fan who worries to much about 3rd round and lower but I wouldn't mind facing this mini retool with an abundance of picks for once either.

Nice; especially as I have arthritis in my cracked ribs from hockey, lol.

I guess I just feel that we could have held their feet to the fire a little longer, but WTH do I know?

1 minute ago, Harold Drunken said:

We shipped out Hamonic and got a 3rd (which is miraculous) and used that third to acquire Dermott who is younger and cheaper than Hamonic. We replaced Hamonic with Dermott while creating cap space....fans will literally complain about anything regardless of situation lol.

You talk'n 'bout me?

I'm not complaining; I am just trying to dig a bit to see what others think.

Loved Druke when he was here; lunchbucket guy.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of playing guys on their offsides. It's had gawd-awful results in Van. Ehrhoff the only one being able to pull it off. I'd play him on the left with either Burroughs, Poolman, or maybe Hunt rotating in and out. That's if we don't pick up a rd today.

Dermott is experienced playing both sides, but I agree. That's why NewBurr or Poolman are the logical choices for a pairing.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

You talk'n 'bout me?

No No just some of the other comments on here critical of him....Dermott has had some ups and downs in Toronto but the Canucks analytics dept. loved him....flipping Hamonic for Dermott while shedding money is a win no matter which way you look at it. Great move. 

Edited by Harold Drunken
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, Harold Drunken said:

because Leafs. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Harold Drunken said:

No No just some of the other comments on here critical of him....Dermott has had some ups and downs in Toronto but the Canucks analytics dept. loved him....flipping Hamonic for Dermott while shedding money is a win no matter which way you look at it. Great move. 

Younger, faster, cheaper, healthier; what's not to like?

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

You talk'n 'bout me?

Ha, I liked Druken when he was here too. Did anyone else refer to him as Squiddy, or was that just my group of friends? Not sure where that came from, but that was our nickname for him, lol

Edited by arsenalian

3 minutes ago, arsenalian said:

Ha, I liked Druken when he was here too. Did anyone else refer to him as Squiddy, or was that just my group of friends? Not sure where that came from, but that was our nickname for him, lol

I don't know.  It's not bad though; better than "Huggy".

4 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

Nice; especially as I have arthritis in my cracked ribs from hockey, lol.

I guess I just feel that we could have held their feet to the fire a little longer, but WTH do I know?

I was super pissed actually when it first happened and saw it your way too. Why help those disgusting Leafs. Especially when they needed to shed salary. I think after some reflection Dermott always had some value. I think we may have been worried they would just flip him somewhere for something anyway so we pulled the trigger. It definitely helps realign the D and puts a guy in the LD position who fits our required description quite well. Young, fast, decent size, but first and foremost CHEAP!

I'm actually a nice guy so sorry about the ribs I'll lay off those ... but keep your chin up! ;)

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Worse defensively

Compared to all those top tier shut down defensive dmen we have on our roster???

Not true if you compare average +/- over their careers albeit Hamonic has obviously played more games.  Hamonic wasn't exactly shutting guys down this year by any means. 

If you're complaining about getting a younger Dman with more upside while gaining cap room then you're point is already moot. The fact that someone was willing to take Hamonic and all of this $3m a year is enough to celebrate.

Edited by Harold Drunken