The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Marc Methot and Bobby Ryan mention why they had all Canadian teams on their no-trade lists except Vancouver

Rate this topic

Jester13

On 3/28/2022 at 7:38 PM, JM_ said:

yeah that tells me maybe someone hasn't been to many airports if they're crapping on YVR.... 

maybe he likes standing on an escalator for an hour  to get out of LAX?

Or the walk in oven called MIA, what a terrible depressing place.

• Vintage 1

21 hours ago, Dedalus said:

I haven't read this entire thread, but this is a topic that a lot of people in tech talk about.

I'm Canadian and moved from Vancouver to California for work. I know Methot said he wouldn't move to Vancouver or California, and I assume once you're making NHL money, cutting down on how much you're taxed is a huge deal, but I will say that on purely percentage-wise, California is taxed less than BC.

Washington, Texas, Florida, Nevada, and Tennessee all have no state tax. So, sure, that's all fine and good, but looking at it from a purely percentage perspective is completely wrong, because as a whole, you still get taxed more in all of Canada compared to the US, yet these guys would put all Canadian cities except Vancouver on their no-trade list? The one upside to living in Canada is you pay way less for healthcare, which is something you can also take advantage of living in BC. So, to be honest, what these guys are saying does not track at all. Sure, there are a lot of other factors to consider, such as dependents, marital status, and so on. But they are splitting hairs by basing their decision on BC being a couple percentage points more expensive than the rest of Canada.

I by no means defend Vancouver. I've lived there for half of my life and have experienced first-hand all the negativity that is associated with it (housing, job market, nightlife, culture/arts, music, etc.). But these guys seem to have some kind of agenda against Vancouver. If they simply don't like the city, they should try to word it another way, instead of using taxation as a cop-out. Or if they simply don't want to live there, they should say so, and that's fine, too!

Personally, yes, I would like to end up in Washington so I won't have to pay state tax, but the reason why I, and a lot of other Canadians, move stateside is because 1. you get paid in US dollars; and 2. wages are way higher. I imagine the same thing applies to hockey players wanting to play in the US, but to single out Vancouver seems suspicious.

Oregon has no state tax either.  But one point that is missed is hockey players are paid in US$ so if they are living in Canada they get a 25% boost in their buying power. Our American friends often have a weird impression of Canada. Espcially in the southern states Alabama, Mississippi etc. Many think it's frozen over 12 months of the year. I used to get a big kick out of joking with US business associates. They often asked about clothes and boots to bring with them when visiting. People in NYK NYK frequently ignorant ( not in a bad way ) about Canada. To be honest Iturned down good jobs in the USA a couple of times so we shouldn't get to hyped when it's the other way around

Edited by Fred65
  • Upvote 1

Just came up from California with the realization that if I moved there I'd have twice the pay (with Forex in consideration), lower taxes, lower housing cost, lower utility cost and more accessibility to other places in quick time.

Then it took a full 10 seconds to realize that all the material objects in the world wouldn't make up for the natural beauty that we live in.  I couldn't live in California and enjoy the life I have right now. I'd miss the hiking, kayaking, natural beauty and people in BC.  My daughter had to use a bathroom and 3 cleaning people wouldn't let her in 5 minutes after a recreation area closed.  They called an emergency and had 2 cop cars come to us instead.  The cops were floored by the call but it's yet another example of how different our societies are.  All the material objects that more money would bring would not replace the comforts and beauty of what we call home.

Many / most NHL players will no doubt push for the most amount of money.  But I'm willing to bet that there are a number of great hockey players that appreciate the people and city more than what another few millions of dollars would give them in the world.  How much is enough?

9 hours ago, Fred65 said:

Oregon has no state tax either.  But one point that is missed is hockey players are paid in US$ so if they are living in Canada they get a 25% boost in their buying power. 

They don't though......prices are higher here for most goods in part due to the forex.  Also, housing in the US is cheap compared to most Canadian cities now.

On 3/25/2022 at 11:16 AM, Jester13 said:

Even in Canada Vancouver isn't #1 for me:

Montreal

Victoria

Ottawa

Vancouver

Toronto

Winnipeg

Edmonton

Calgary

Interesting list....I live in Victoria, used to live in Vancouver.  In terms of a place to live, I'd agree Victoria over Vancouver.  More to do in Vancouver, but the everyday living is better in Victoria (cheaper, way less traffic, 2 months less rain in a year).....coming from a family guy who got to spend his 20s in Vancouver though.  I love Vancouver.

Love Montreal and Ottawa also.....I'd have to throw Halifax in there for the top 5 too.  Certainly above your bottom 3.

The more I travel, the more I am wow'd by Vancouver.  To see it transition from the Expo 86 city to where it is today is nothing short of amazing.  The city center just wows compared to cities like Los Angeles.  New York of course has a huge wow effect, but Vancouver has a top tier blend of nature and world city appeal.  How many cities in the world can match that?

On 3/25/2022 at 1:16 PM, Jester13 said:

Even in Canada Vancouver isn't #1 for me:

Montreal

Victoria

Ottawa

Vancouver

Toronto

Winnipeg

Edmonton

Calgary

As a European living in the U.S I loved Montreal, so much to do and see there.

My favorite things to do when I visit Vancouver are going to Vancouver island, Whistler and explore B.C wilderness.

Vancouver itself, it’s ok, nowhere near greatest city in the world, in my opinion.

13 hours ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

They don't though......prices are higher here for most goods in part due to the forex.  Also, housing in the US is cheap compared to most Canadian cities now.

I'm not sure how many players buy homes in Vcr when they play here. I'd think that most currency are made by pros on thei behalf for them and genearlly buy in advance. Most large corporation buy their funds well in advance and when the market favours.