The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Marc Methot and Bobby Ryan mention why they had all Canadian teams on their no-trade lists except Vancouver

Rate this topic

Jester13

5 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

https://streamable.com/3ms62c

Someone posted this in Reddit and I thought it's worth sharing these guys' thoughts on why Vancouver was the only Canadian team they left off of their no-trade lists. 

Spoiler: taxes 100% comes into play, but they said regarding Vancouver: "At least you get to live in Vancouver."

Ryan's last statement is a teller for sure.

I think if you're from the US it's a no brainer you're going back to the US.

Let's keep that in mind on top of the taxation when we're looking at Millers potential next contract.  he might very well not want to be here.  This is a sentiment shared fairly widely around the league it seems.  Taxes and nation of origin are huge factors for players.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

I'll admit I haven't watched/listened to this yet, but wasn't Bobby Ryan on the Sens at one point?

For a long time, yes. He's liking speaking about being traded from Ottawa elsewhere, when he was able to submit a no-trade list. Imagine how much money he gave to taxes during his long stint in Ottawa. 

Taxes are something that the league might want to think about addressing - if they haven't already - and finding a way to create more parity. It does seem unfair to a lot of teams (not just Canadian, as both mentioned the California teams as well) that low-tax states are able to attract the best players and sign them for less to create more competitive teams. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

12 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

https://streamable.com/3ms62c

Someone posted this in Reddit and I thought it's worth sharing these guys' thoughts on why Vancouver was the only Canadian team they left off of their no-trade lists. 

Spoiler: taxes 100% comes into play, but they said regarding Vancouver: "At least you get to live in Vancouver."

Truth to that.  Even a putz like me who doesn't make a fraction of what NHL players or any pro athletes make lived in Edgewater, New Jersey when I was working in New York City in the early 2000s.  Additionally, as a non-resident it's better to have property in no state tax jurisdictions.  I sold my place in Lake Tahoe and purchased a sprawling condo off the south end of Las Vegas Blvd. and the benefits from a financial perspective is huge.

Only reason why I'm still living in White Rock is because my wife wants to live here and raise our son in Canada.  And in the end, my wife always gets her way and Metro Vancouver is probably one of the top three places to live anywhere in the world.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

Just now, Nuxfanabroad said:

How great was it 4 or 5 decades back, when you could buy a decent home in a lil' community like White Rock, for perhaps 1 or 2 yrs of a professional salary?

I KNOW them days are long gone..yet it seems now even nostalgia is expensive :^(

Back when wages were $3/hour ;)

• Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Back when wages were $3/hour ;)

Yet most boomers own their own home, while most millennials don't.  Throwing huge amounts of

money at rental accommodations (if you can find one) is a horrible alternative.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

17 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

For a long time, yes. He's liking speaking about being traded from Ottawa elsewhere, when he was able to submit a no-trade list. Imagine how much money he gave to taxes during his long stint in Ottawa. 

Taxes are something that the league might want to think about addressing - if they haven't already - and finding a way to create more parity. It does seem unfair to a lot of teams (not just Canadian, as both mentioned the California teams as well) that low-tax states are able to attract the best players and sign them for less to create more competitive teams. 

Take the salary cap and gross it up by whatever the top tax rate is for that jurisdiction.  Set a base rate each year based on whatever the minimum tax rate across the NHL is.   Florida for example just pays federal tax, so let's say the base is 37% (the top US federal rate).  In BC our combined top tax rate is 53.5%, 16.5% higher than Florida.  So basically we should get to add that extra 16.5% to our cap room each year to keep things competitive across the league.

This would never happen though.  It would ruin the sunshine state teams (since nobody cares about hockey there now, imagine if their teams weren't effectively gifted that extra 16.5% in cap).  It shouldn't surprise you that a lot of the southern expansion teams also happen to be the lowest taxed jurisdictions in the US.  That's why we'll never see true parity.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Yet most boomers own their own home, while most millennials don't.  Throwing huge amounts of

money at rental accommodations (if you can find one) is a horrible alternative.

This is a debate I certainly don't want to go down, ha! I don't think I'll be too popular with my stance on the struggles of younger generations (and I'm part of this younger generation).

1 minute ago, Dekey Pete said:

Take the salary cap and gross it up by whatever the top tax rate is for that jurisdiction.  Set a base rate each year based on whatever the minimum tax rate across the NHL is.   Florida for example just pays federal tax, so let's say the base is 37% (the top US federal rate).  In BC our combined top tax rate is 53.5%, 16.5% higher than Florida.  So basically we should get to add that extra 16.5% to our cap room each year to keep things competitive across the league.

This would never happen though.  It would ruin the sunshine state teams (since nobody cares about hockey there now, imagine if their teams weren't effectively gifted that extra 16.5% in cap).  It shouldn't surprise you that a lot of the southern expansion teams also happen to be the lowest taxed jurisdictions in the US.  That's why we'll never see true parity.  

Yup, that would be the way to do it, but until owners get together to make change it'll never happen. I guess the one thing to keep in mind is that money isn't everything to a lot of players. There are countless examples we could come up with where players signed with their teams with high tax when they could've gone elsewhere, simply because they want to win or like where they're at. Once you're a multi-millionaire, you'd have to be quite selfish to care about another million or two - 50 million vs 48 million, I mean, really? I think at that point it comes down to agents and the union culture of a higher tide raises all ships. 

34 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

He paid just about as much as he would in Vancouver.