The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Marc Methot and Bobby Ryan mention why they had all Canadian teams on their no-trade lists except Vancouver

Rate this topic

Jester13

2 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Wow. Really sad to hear about Seattle’s degradation. And it’s as that your friend needs to bring his knife when he goes out. I’ve never had to do that here in Vancouver. Now with that being said, Van’s not perfect either. Both cities should look to each other and learn from one another. I remember having very fond memories of Seattle with my family when I was a kid. Beautiful city back then. Haven’t been back obviously the last two years due to COVID, but also even before then. So it’s sad to hear from your perspective and experience, and that of your friend’s, how bad it’s gotten there in Emerald City. 

What are Aussie and Scottish meat pies? Haha. I’ve never heard of them before. Are they like apple pies? 

Don't be too sad it was grimy, rundown smelly, potholes everywhere and full of obese ugly people in the 90's too.  It's never looked like Greys Anatomy.   

• Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Don't be too sad it was grimy, rundown smelly, potholes everywhere and full of obese ugly people in the 90's too.  It's never looked like Greys Anatomy.   

sounds like my place in smithers except i'm only 83, but my next birthday i'll probably be 90.

• Haha 4

7 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

alfville is pretty nice spot too, as long as you keep the mayor in scotch. the snow has gone off the roads so i've  been scootering around again.

Glad to hear you're out and about.  Street lamps and sidewalks are a must now, that's for sure. 

1 hour ago, ktcy2 said:

I mean….. claiming Vancouver is the best city? New York? Paris? London? Tokyo? I mean… there is a list of alreast 25 cities that are better both in terms of livability, opportunities and vibe etc. how about real estate prices and the fact that young people will never be able to own a condo? Those things don’t matter? I mean, seriously. This is a ridiculous claim. 

sometimes you have to put down your homer glasses to see what’s out there in this whole wide world man. 

Yeah, I mean I didn't want to poop on Vancouver but the cost of living alone makes it very obviously not the best city in the world to live. In terms of how they rank cities, that's a big negative for sure.

2 hours ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Yes, anyone who has actually spent any amount of reasonable time (more than a vacation) in many Canadian cities will have to admit that Montreal is leaps and bounds ahead of every canadian city.   I've been fortunate enought to have lived and worked in several Canadian cities and have to be honest and admit that no city in Canada comes remotely close to Montreal for "lifestyle and liveability" and that is what is most important.  Not Mountains, not skyscrappers, not richest neighborhoods - but simply enjoying "QUALITY" of life. 

People, quality and variety of food outlets, culture, friendliness, sincerity in people, centuries of history, sense of self identity, affordability of housing, a "real" cotage country with tens of thousands of lakes to own affordable cottages on (even renters in this city own cottages), tons of festivals, a real summer that last 6 months instead of 6 weeks, close to dozens of other major cities you can actually drive to, extremely good public transit, safety/low crime rate and a host of other good attributes.  Van is still "My Fav" but we have to admit, we certainly lack much of what Montreal has to offer - if those things are important to anyone.

The strip clubs alone are worth the trip....seriously. 

Edited by Harold Drunken
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

Yes we did that 13 years ago it's just fine.   That said my grandparents and great grandparents families help build the roads/mines and orchards in BC.   All worked hard, built a house (a lot did with their own hands) and had an honest life working hard.   Things went off the rails slowly over time to where we are now.   Can't do it on your steam anymore unless your pretty special.   We managed fine so don't worry about that - we can move back if we want.   But my kids ... and their kids ... well we aren't that rich lol.   But we worked harder then anyone i know to get what we do have including my parents and theirs.   That's a problem.   I've met dozens of the top 1% of the 1% during my career.   They are nice people.   All of them including that Shark that seems like a meanie, and one of the richest families in Canada the past century (not going to say whom).   So i get wealth too.   Something is very wrong with the picture though, when the families that built this province, great and great great grandkids can't build a road, an orchard or work in a mine or an industry they helped start, and not afford a house.    And have to re-locate just to so they don't have to pay rent isn't there?   I'm going to guess you feel the same way - no matter if your part of that 1% or part of the group that's barely holding on, or that was given a downpayment but won't be able to afford a family and help them later.    

Worked two full time jobs for a year - just to buy a 17 year old truck to start a company when i was 20. Also worked 35 hours a week and went to school in grade ten ... still wasn't enough to make enough cash to get a degree so have up and decided to go out on my own.   That's not the norm - and it shouldn't have to be either.   Still tough to make 120k a year in the early 90's to show you could buy a house 1/3 rules still applied but i did it ..  It's a button of mine.  Rich people want to live in BC from across Canada and from all over the world.   What's the working class supposed to do?  Bend over i suppose because that's how things have been trending since the 80's.    Shouldn't have to leave a place you've had 100 years of working history in just to own a home, and yes i get there are bigger issues.    Like the environment, global warming, actual parity.    Canadians need to start waking up.  Sure there will be a large transfer of wealth over the next 15-20 or so years as the boomers die off.   Who do you think is going to end up with the majority of that?   And don't use Amazon.  If you do your being lazy and not responsible with your money.   That's it for my high horse today.   Peace ... and be kind.   And also do no harm or at least do the least harm.  

There is a lot of good stuff in here thank you.

On the upcoming/in progress wealth transfer:

Many businesses were built up by the elderly that are doing the 'passing on'.

What I saw in business, is that their kids had been spoiled, and they had no interest in working and keeping the business going.

Many sawmills for example were family-owned and prosperous; yet the next generation just wanted to party and spend.

The old folks were tough, disciplined, and knew how to make a buck; the kids just knew how to spend; and the mills went to the big corps.

Canada has always been a 'hewer of wood and drawer of water' to quote an old saw (pun intended).

If we had not been pumping oil out at the rate we have for the last 40 years, we would have gone completely under a long time ago.

We are but serfs to the old money colonizers; and less than that to the multinational corporations that own the world today.

People who do not see this are doomed to the fates we have been discussing herein.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Goal:thecup said:

There is a lot of good stuff in here thank you.

On the upcoming/in progress wealth transfer:

Many businesses were built up by the elderly that are doing the 'passing on'.

What I saw in business, is that their kids had been spoiled, and they had no interest in working and keeping the business going.

Many sawmills for example were family-owned and prosperous; yet the next generation just wanted to party and spend.

The old folks were tough, disciplined, and knew how to make a buck; the kids just knew how to spend; and the mills went to the big corps.

Canada has always been a 'hewer of wood and drawer of water' to quote an old saw (pun intended).

If we had not been pumping oil out at the rate we have for the last 40 years, we would have gone completely under a long time ago.

We are but serfs to the old money colonizers; and less than that to the multinational corporations that own the world today.

People who do not see this are doomed to the fates we have been discussing herein.

Me too.   Well said. 

2 hours ago, ktcy2 said:

I mean….. claiming Vancouver is the best city? New York? Paris? London? Tokyo? I mean… there is a list of alreast 25 cities that are better both in terms of livability, opportunities and vibe etc. how about real estate prices and the fact that young people will never be able to own a condo? Those things don’t matter? I mean, seriously. This is a ridiculous claim. 

sometimes you have to put down your homer glasses to see what’s out there in this whole wide world man. 

This 100%. Everything is subjective but some people here are too small minded to believe or even consider so and cry bloody murder like the world is ending anytime someone might not think its totally awesome. lol.

The need for self-affirmation really oozes an inferiority complex, its pretty funny actually.

Vancouver is a good city, its beautiful and peaceful compared to most major cities, but I've lived in multiple other cities in the US and Canada that have a much better vibe, imo, compared to this city. 

Edited by PetterssonOrPeterson
  • Cheers 2

4 hours ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Yes, anyone who has actually spent any amount of reasonable time (more than a vacation) in many Canadian cities will have to admit that Montreal is leaps and bounds ahead of every canadian city.   I've been fortunate enought to have lived and worked in several Canadian cities and have to be honest and admit that no city in Canada comes remotely close to Montreal for "lifestyle and liveability" and that is what is most important.  Not Mountains, not skyscrappers, not richest neighborhoods - but simply enjoying "QUALITY" of life. 

People, quality and variety of food outlets, culture, friendliness, sincerity in people, centuries of history, sense of self identity, affordability of housing, a "real" cotage country with tens of thousands of lakes to own affordable cottages on (even renters in this city own cottages), tons of festivals, a real summer that last 6 months instead of 6 weeks, close to dozens of other major cities you can actually drive to, extremely good public transit, safety/low crime rate and a host of other good attributes.  Van is still "My Fav" but we have to admit, we certainly lack much of what Montreal has to offer - if those things are important to anyone.

Nailed it. I lived in Montreal for a couple of years and what a city. My only issue is winter cold and summer heat/humidity. But, there's just so much to do, and it's a very inspiring environment. When you walk down the street passed Leonard Cohen (RIP) like I once did, you can't help but want to paint or write. And the cost of living is so insanely cheap - PA Market, Jean Talon... it doesn't get any better for quality and price. I miss it terribly, but my wife and I go back once a year (pre-pandemic). I can't wait to go back for F1 in 2023. 

Funny story: the summer that Luongo was getting close to being traded, I caught wind on social media that he was in town. I looked at the wife and said, "Let's go to Jean Talon and see if we run into him." She told me the chances were not in my favour. As we're walking there, we hit the street that Napoletana Pizza is on, so I start walking us down the street and she asked me, "Why this street?" "Lu's Italian," I said. She balked at me, until we walked passed and there he was, no shiat, right out front of the pizzeria on his phone (possibly talking to his agent hehe). He looked right at me and I worded the phrase in awe, "Holy shiat." He gave me a smile and nod, and I was puuuuuumped :towel:

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

13 hours ago, canucklehead44 said:

It's not comparable at all and that is a completely false statement - I know very successful millennials (doctors, executives) buying old homes in crap neighbourhoods and renting out their basement because you need to make $300K minimum to get into the bottom end of the market now. 

The best example is the construction of the Vancouver Specials in the late 1970s. A unionized carpenter was able to buy a brand new Vancouver Special on 3x annual salary. That same unionized carpenter would now pay 25x annual salary to buy the exact same house that is now 40+ years old. 

I grew up poor - a lot of my friends parents earned minimum wage or were single parents (nurses) and they all managed to buy homes. Now their kids who got masters degrees or climbed up into high positions in skilled trades cannot afford the house they grew up in. I am now seeing Portugese, Italian, and Irish millennials moving back to their homelands because there is no future in Canada anymore. And they are all educated, hard working but the opportunities aren't here. 

There's no shortage of opportunity out there especially online. 

I grew up very poor myself my parents were working two jobs just to give me the opportunity to succeed.
Dropped out of high school with no formal education but was able to buy a property after selling a business that I built with self taught skills.  

I blame our education system, it teaches everybody to be a good employee instead of teaching you how to build something that makes you money in your sleep. 

While it's expensive here in Vancouver, I wouldn't call anywhere else home and is worth every penny to live here. More desirable places to live are generally more expensive ( NY, LA Miami ) . 

4 hours ago, Jester13 said:

Nailed it. I lived in Montreal for a couple of years and what a city. My only issue is winter cold and summer heat/humidity. But, there's just so much to do, and it's a very inspiring environment. When you walk down the street passed Leonard Cohen (RIP) like I once did, you can't help but want to paint or write. And the cost of living is so insanely cheap - PA Market, Jean Talon... it doesn't get any better for quality and price. I miss it terribly, but my wife and I go back once a year (pre-pandemic). I can't wait to go back for F1 in 2023. 

Funny story: the summer that Luongo was getting close to being traded, I caught wind on social media that he was in town. I looked at the wife and said, "Let's go to Jean Talon and see if we run into him." She told me the chances were not in my favour. As we're walking there, we hit the street that Napoletana Pizza is on, so I start walking us down the street and she asked me, "Why this street?" "Lu's Italian," I said. She balked at me, until we walked passed and there he was, no shiat, right out front of the pizzeria on his phone (possibly talking to his agent hehe). He looked right at me and I worded the phrase in awe, "Holy shiat." He gave me a smile and nod, and I was puuuuuumped :towel:

Louuuuuu!

I run into chris higgins here in north van so often now that i think he thinks im following him.  

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, ktcy2 said:

Young people will never be able to afford a condo? Really? I think you underestimate how much money some young people have. 

Depends on how you rank cities, this ranks cities depending different factors

Most livable cities - Wikipedia

At  one time Vcr was consistently ranked in the top 5, frequently #1. But IMO it's slipped dramatically in the last 5-10 years. Listening to the news tonight they announced 4 murders in10 minutes, thats not good. Drug gangs are giving the city a bad name. Occasionally I used to walk from Rogers back down to the old Woodwards parking lot what you saw down the back street, druggies, rats, people urinating. You could smell the place befor you actually saw it. Certainly Mumbai and Calcutta are worse but that's feint praise. It's  sad IMO how it's fallen

On 3/24/2022 at 12:39 PM, Alflives said:

Best city in world too.  not even close.  

I used to think that, but not lately. The random violence thats been happening in DT, stabbings, people getting attacked. I work in DT and my head is on a swivel everytime I walk in the streets. DT Vancouver has turned into an absolute cesspool, and the gov ain't fixing anything

10 hours ago, PetterssonOrPeterson said:

This 100%. Everything is subjective but some people here are too small minded to believe or even consider so and cry bloody murder like the world is ending anytime someone might not think its totally awesome. lol.

The need for self-affirmation really oozes an inferiority complex, its pretty funny actually.

Vancouver is a good city, its beautiful and peaceful compared to most major cities, but I've lived in multiple other cities in the US and Canada that have a much better vibe, imo, compared to this city. 

Yup, people need to get out of their bubbles to realize theres many many more cities that are just as, if not more desirable. Living in SJ and Anaheim is defintely a massive draw to a lot of players. You get all the perks of living in California and yet afforded a pretty safe family life. Notice how players who end up playing for the Ducks or Sharks end up staying there? (if they weren't traded) Ive been to both cities a number of times and they are both wonderful places to live and build roots

According to Ray Ferraro a few years back, apparently Buffalo is quite underrated. The Sabres themselves are practically a con, but players seem to love the city of Buffalo itself

• Like 1

On 3/24/2022 at 7:35 PM, ktcy2 said:

I wanna laugh if people legit think Vancouver is the best city in the world lmao 

Vancouver is second or third in Canada. World? Lmao… I mean please stop. Lol

LOL I agree. People that think that Vancouver is the best city in the world probably has never been in the intl departure area of YVR . This one person in my FB shared a link years on how English Bay is one of the best beaches in the world, hahahah geez clearly sounds like somebody has never travelled before

• Cheers 2