The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Marc Methot and Bobby Ryan mention why they had all Canadian teams on their no-trade lists except Vancouver

Rate this topic

Jester13

16 hours ago, Jester13 said:

Nailed it. I lived in Montreal for a couple of years and what a city. My only issue is winter cold and summer heat/humidity. But, there's just so much to do, and it's a very inspiring environment. When you walk down the street passed Leonard Cohen (RIP) like I once did, you can't help but want to paint or write. And the cost of living is so insanely cheap - PA Market, Jean Talon... it doesn't get any better for quality and price. I miss it terribly, but my wife and I go back once a year (pre-pandemic). I can't wait to go back for F1 in 2023. 

Funny story: the summer that Luongo was getting close to being traded, I caught wind on social media that he was in town. I looked at the wife and said, "Let's go to Jean Talon and see if we run into him." She told me the chances were not in my favour. As we're walking there, we hit the street that Napoletana Pizza is on, so I start walking us down the street and she asked me, "Why this street?" "Lu's Italian," I said. She balked at me, until we walked passed and there he was, no shiat, right out front of the pizzeria on his phone (possibly talking to his agent hehe). He looked right at me and I worded the phrase in awe, "Holy shiat." He gave me a smile and nod, and I was puuuuuumped :towel:

We'll let give you an even better "True" story.  Back in the day I'd go to Brasserie 12 in Lachine on 32em, close to where I was living - owned by none other than Yvon Cournoyer and nearly every Saturday night at around 11:30 in would roll Guy lafleur, Shutt, Big Bird, Mondou, Lapoint and many other familiar faces and they'd go sit in a back corner area and drink and smoke their face off until after all the regular customers left.   One night Guy almost died driving home on the 2-20 pi$$ed drunk coming home from there and won't even get into the "girl stuff" I saw in there.......to keep things tame on this "family" forum. I met many of them and used to have a bunch of beer coasters and place napkins with their autographs which I lost a long time ago.    That is a typical Montreal story from back in the day.  This city never slept/sleeps!  Read this...https://www.habseyesontheprize.com/2007/01/guy-lafleur-urban-legend.html

Edited by RU SERIOUS

12 hours ago, Ferlands_Head said:

Young people will never be able to afford a condo? Really? I think you underestimate how much money some young people have................... 

............................been given by their parents!

• Like 1

On 3/25/2022 at 12:46 PM, IBatch said:

Yes we did that 13 years ago it's just fine.   That said my grandparents and great grandparents families help build the roads/mines and orchards in BC.   All worked hard, built a house (a lot did with their own hands) and had an honest life working hard.   Things went off the rails slowly over time to where we are now.   Can't do it on your steam anymore unless your pretty special.   We managed fine so don't worry about that - we can move back if we want.   But my kids ... and their kids ... well we aren't that rich lol.   But we worked harder then anyone i know to get what we do have including my parents and theirs.   That's a problem.   I've met dozens of the top 1% of the 1% during my career.   They are nice people.   All of them including that Shark that seems like a meanie, and one of the richest families in Canada the past century (not going to say whom).   So i get wealth too.   Something is very wrong with the picture though, when the families that built this province, great and great great grandkids can't build a road, an orchard or work in a mine or an industry they helped start, and not afford a house.    And have to re-locate just to so they don't have to pay rent isn't there?   I'm going to guess you feel the same way - no matter if your part of that 1% or part of the group that's barely holding on, or that was given a downpayment but won't be able to afford a family and help them later.    

Worked two full time jobs for a year - just to buy a 17 year old truck to start a company when i was 20. Also worked 35 hours a week and went to school in grade ten ... still wasn't enough to make enough cash to get a degree so have up and decided to go out on my own.   That's not the norm - and it shouldn't have to be either.   Still tough to make 120k a year in the early 90's to show you could buy a house 1/3 rules still applied but i did it ..  It's a button of mine.  Rich people want to live in BC from across Canada and from all over the world.   What's the working class supposed to do?  Bend over i suppose because that's how things have been trending since the 80's.    Shouldn't have to leave a place you've had 100 years of working history in just to own a home, and yes i get there are bigger issues.    Like the environment, global warming, actual parity.    Canadians need to start waking up.  Sure there will be a large transfer of wealth over the next 15-20 or so years as the boomers die off.   Who do you think is going to end up with the majority of that?   And don't use Amazon.  If you do your being lazy and not responsible with your money.   That's it for my high horse today.   Peace ... and be kind.   And also do no harm or at least do the least harm.  

While I agree with some of your sentiment… your experience has been significantly different than mine. As a millennial who has spent the majority of my adult life not making a ton of money, I’ve managed pretty stinking well. 

That being said, I’ve chosen to avoid the places where a shack costs a million bucks. 

12 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

Yup, people need to get out of their bubbles to realize theres many many more cities that are just as, if not more desirable. Living in SJ and Anaheim is defintely a massive draw to a lot of players. You get all the perks of living in California and yet afforded a pretty safe family life. Notice how players who end up playing for the Ducks or Sharks end up staying there? (if they weren't traded) Ive been to both cities a number of times and they are both wonderful places to live and build roots

According to Ray Ferraro a few years back, apparently Buffalo is quite underrated. The Sabres themselves are practically a con, but players seem to love the city of Buffalo itself

I think it really depends on the individual and what they expect or want from a city. The experiences they desire. 

No city in the world is perfect for every single person but could be absolutely amazing to you or me for example, and vice-versa.

The world is a large place with lots of hidden beauty and amazing people to meet.

It's up to us to actually experience these things ourselves and make our own decisions of which place fits us best.

• Cheers 1

On 3/25/2022 at 2:33 PM, Harold Drunken said:

The strip clubs alone are worth the trip....seriously. 

For those in Vancouver who have any shred of doubt what city is best to live in....................... You haven't "lived" untill you've been there.....

Edited by RU SERIOUS
  • Cheers 1

On 3/26/2022 at 10:04 AM, filthycanuck said:

LOL I agree. People that think that Vancouver is the best city in the world probably has never been in the intl departure area of YVR . This one person in my FB shared a link years on how English Bay is one of the best beaches in the world, hahahah geez clearly sounds like somebody has never travelled before

I don't know if Vancouver is the best city in the world, but I've been through there nearly a dozen times since it was build and am not sure what you mean at all. It's certainly a lot nicer than most European Airports which all have the same dreary bland almost urban shopping mall like look.

18 hours ago, PetterssonOrPeterson said:

I think it really depends on the individual and what they expect or want from a city. The experiences they desire. 

No city in the world is perfect for every single person but could be absolutely amazing to you or me for example, and vice-versa.

The world is a large place with lots of hidden beauty and amazing people to meet.

It's up to us to actually experience these things ourselves and make our own decisions of which place fits us best.

Yeah it seems pretty shallow to me to proclaim a city the best. I've travelled around, not as much as some, but enough to know there is beauty everywhere. Finding and enjoying beauty is all what you make it and everywhere offers something different.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RU SERIOUS said:

For those in Vancouver who have any shred of doubt what city is best to live in....................... You haven't "lived" untill you've been there.....

its the late night drinking. 

• Cheers 1

Heres a thought

The team pays the taxes so if a player is said to make 5 mil the team pays the taxes on this and the player takes home 5 mil regardless of the team he plays for.

Or what is counted against the cap is after tax earnings of a player but that could get weird

On 3/25/2022 at 9:06 AM, JM_ said:

basketball is all about American hype, didn't play well here. Plus the franchise was run really badly. 

If this city cannot attract players besides Canadians, then the developments of pro sports in this city are in trouble.

It sucks if Vancouver is still a one-team-city 10 or 15 years later.

14 minutes ago, The King of Kings said:

If this city cannot attract players besides Canadians, then the developments of pro sports in this city are in trouble.

It's no different that any other city in Canada, but for Toronto, that has a far bigger population

than Vancouver.

Edited by higgyfan

15 hours ago, RU SERIOUS said:

I spent time there last summer. If my wife agreed I’d move there tomorrow. Cash out of here buy a nice house with no mortgage and live the good life.  Lots of culture and night life.  I’d certainly entertain the harsh winters knowing I can retire 10 years ahead of schedule. 

Edited by Darius
  • Cheers 1

13 hours ago, The King of Kings said:

I think now basketball might have a better chance here, but it is what it is, Vancouver loves its Canucks and everything else takes a back seat. 

On 3/25/2022 at 2:00 PM, Saved_by_Jesus said:

Lol, sorry to burst your bubble, but have you seen the list of previous Basant Motors ambassadors?  It is the kiss of death:

Alexandre Burrows

Alexander Burmistrov

Zack MacEwen 

Adam Gaudette

Nate Schmidt

Antoine Roussell

Every single one of them gone within a season or two of being the ambassador...

Maaaaaaaan that is quite the list lol. Aside from Burr I would say the rest are all 1B guys whereas, Millsy and Garly are a bit more 1A. 

Soooo do we need to get some guys like Petey or Demmer to pimp out King of Floors since they seem like a safe bet? ::D

On 3/26/2022 at 3:04 AM, filthycanuck said:

LOL I agree. People that think that Vancouver is the best city in the world probably has never been in the intl departure area of YVR . This one person in my FB shared a link years on how English Bay is one of the best beaches in the world, hahahah geez clearly sounds like somebody has never travelled before

Man, YVR international terminal is one of the better ones in the world and I have been to lots. Yeah it ain't Singapore or Dubai but still one of the most homely environment out there for an airport. 

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

Man, YVR international terminal is one of the better ones in the world and I have been to lots. Yeah it ain't Singapore or Dubai but still one of the most homely environment out there for an airport. 

yeah that tells me maybe someone hasn't been to many airports if they're crapping on YVR.... 

maybe he likes standing on an escalator for an hour  to get out of LAX?

On 3/27/2022 at 3:54 AM, RU SERIOUS said:

17 hours ago, Darius said:

I spent time there last summer. If my wife agreed I’d move there tomorrow. Cash out of here buy a nice house with no mortgage and live the good life.  Lots of culture and night life.  I’d certainly entertain the harsh winters knowing I can retire 10 years ahead of schedule. 

Yes, that's another excellent point, that you won't be spending your life focused on paying the rent or mortgage or talking about the price of houses at a typical Vancouver "Kitchen" party.  There are more important things in life and it sounds like you've realized that!  

• Cheers 1

I haven't read this entire thread, but this is a topic that a lot of people in tech talk about.

I'm Canadian and moved from Vancouver to California for work. I know Methot said he wouldn't move to Vancouver or California, and I assume once you're making NHL money, cutting down on how much you're taxed is a huge deal, but I will say that on purely percentage-wise, California is taxed less than BC.

Washington, Texas, Florida, Nevada, and Tennessee all have no state tax. So, sure, that's all fine and good, but looking at it from a purely percentage perspective is completely wrong, because as a whole, you still get taxed more in all of Canada compared to the US, yet these guys would put all Canadian cities except Vancouver on their no-trade list? The one upside to living in Canada is you pay way less for healthcare, which is something you can also take advantage of living in BC. So, to be honest, what these guys are saying does not track at all. Sure, there are a lot of other factors to consider, such as dependents, marital status, and so on. But they are splitting hairs by basing their decision on BC being a couple percentage points more expensive than the rest of Canada.

I by no means defend Vancouver. I've lived there for half of my life and have experienced first-hand all the negativity that is associated with it (housing, job market, nightlife, culture/arts, music, etc.). But these guys seem to have some kind of agenda against Vancouver. If they simply don't like the city, they should try to word it another way, instead of using taxation as a cop-out. Or if they simply don't want to live there, they should say so, and that's fine, too!

Personally, yes, I would like to end up in Washington so I won't have to pay state tax, but the reason why I, and a lot of other Canadians, move stateside is because 1. you get paid in US dollars; and 2. wages are way higher. I imagine the same thing applies to hockey players wanting to play in the US, but to single out Vancouver seems suspicious.

Edited by Dedalus