The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] St. Louis Blues at Vancouver Canucks | Mar. 30, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

2 hours ago, philtbc829 said:

Lets face it Canuck Fans ...it is going to take a few years to undo the mess that JB left behind....especially given the Cap space and the crap contracts 

With Hamonic and Motte no longer here, we have some breathing room. 

If you're talking about overspending in the UFA market, then no we don't have room. If you're talking about some moves that add a couple of mil then yes we do have the room. 

14 mil to deal with Boeser, resign Highmore, Lammikko, Juulsen, Martin and a couple of other league minimum guys. 

We shouldn't be buying our way out anyways. The only signings I want to see are NCAA and European free agents that will be on their ELCs. 

18 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Yes.  If we trade Brock then we can bring in Kuzmenko for free.  That is asset management 101...

I hope he picks us over all the other teams. Seems like this management group is striking out on a lot of college free agents. 

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

Alf, there's no guarantee getting rid of him WILL make us a consistent winner.

It's not that simple. And, right now at least, we know what we have in Miller...what kind of difference he can make. Sure, he'll likely slow down...but he won't need a walker. It's not just that you pencil in young guys or big guys and it's an instant fit. Chemistry matters...how guys work together. The influence they have on others. How they respond to coaching staff. Etc.

People talk like it's a certainty that whatever Miller brings in return is a guaranteed success. May or may not be, just like Miller may or may not fall completely off.

Of course there is no guarantee

However, some people here think this team is "close" to being a perennial playoff team and/or contende. For this group, you likely resign Miller, then tinker to get "closer" 

Others feel this team is not "close" to being a perennial playoff team and/or contender

If a person is of the "not close" thought, they feel it will take significant changes to become "close". Moving out 4th liners for other 4th iiners etc won't do it. Waiting for draft picks to mature won't necessarily do it (it takes a fair bit of time, and there are no guarantees they will be a success either). One option that looks appealing would be to trade a very valuable player to get a few of the pieces that this group feels are required. You're correct, no guarantees, but to get from where this group of fans feels we are, to where we want to be, will take more than tinkering / peripheral changes. 

• Huggy Bear 1

57 minutes ago, rychicken said:

Of course there is no guarantee

However, some people here think this team is "close" to being a perennial playoff team and/or contende. For this group, you likely resign Miller, then tinker to get "closer" 

Others feel this team is not "close" to being a perennial playoff team and/or contender

If a person is of the "not close" thought, they feel it will take significant changes to become "close". Moving out 4th liners for other 4th iiners etc won't do it. Waiting for draft picks to mature won't necessarily do it (it takes a fair bit of time, and there are no guarantees they will be a success either). One option that looks appealing would be to trade a very valuable player to get a few of the pieces that this group feels are required. You're correct, no guarantees, but to get from where this group of fans feels we are, to where we want to be, will take more than tinkering / peripheral changes. 

"may" not "will"

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Buying him out is another option in a couple of years.  Better to trade him with retention though so the pain doesn't last as long.

Boston was an option but now they have signed Lindholm to a similar type contract.  They will have their pain in a few years time with that contract.

All depends on what we do with Miller, Boeser, Garland, BO, Myers, Pearson, Dickinson, Poolman.  There is lots of money there that can be moved around to get young cheaper players.  Minnesota bought out 2 contracts for a total of $14 million in dead cap for 3 years straight but you're worried about $3.5 million?  Would you rather just keep OEL on the team and trade Rathbone and every other young Dman we have in order to keep OEL around?

is minnesota having cap issues in the coming years?? sure looks like it? please point me to a team 

please point me to a team that won the cup in recent years that have more than 1mil in dead cap? or dead cap period? the only team was pittsburgh for 1 year at a little above 1mil.. you don't compete for a cup by gimping yourself against competition by wasting dead cap on players. cup contender utilize every ounce of their cap whether it's depth or whatever.. that's why we continually suck coz we have bad contracts and dead cap wasted every single year...

look at the contenders this year? the only team to the exception is rangers coz they are full of ELC that are performing above expectation and florida with all their player playing out of their minds.. everyone else? 1.5 or below.. we are sitting near the top of the league every year in dead cap and u wonder why we suck or have no depth wouldn't it be nice to have a 5mil 3c instead of dickinson? or a 6mil top 6 forward instead of a pearson? 

20 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

is minnesota having cap issues in the coming years?? sure looks like it? please point me to a team 

please point me to a team that won the cup in recent years that have more than 1mil in dead cap? or dead cap period? the only team was pittsburgh for 1 year at a little above 1mil.. you don't compete for a cup by gimping yourself against competition by wasting dead cap on players. cup contender utilize every ounce of their cap whether it's depth or whatever.. that's why we continually suck coz we have bad contracts and dead cap wasted every single year...

look at the contenders this year? the only team to the exception is rangers coz they are full of ELC that are performing above expectation and florida with all their player playing out of their minds.. everyone else? 1.5 or below.. we are sitting near the top of the league every year in dead cap and u wonder why we suck or have no depth wouldn't it be nice to have a 5mil 3c instead of dickinson? or a 6mil top 6 forward instead of a pearson? 

So your solution is to just keep OEL for another 5 years because you don't want any dead cap?  Is that accurate?

20 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I don't think they'll intentionally take a step back. This team could easily be in the playoffs next year even with just minor tweaks (tho we should/will do more). 

But this was basically my point, that we can't take rebuilding type steps back or your flushing the window of this core - Hughes/Demko's contracts set the window.

5 years is a long time. If we change the dynamic of the team & are in the playoffs next year, suddenly the outlook is pretty good. Look at how quickly NYR turned things around & our young core is more evident than theirs was. Miller is going to be a difficult decision though. 

There’s a lot of if’s this off-season. JR and PA better not say they ran out of time :shock:

I agree that the window to compete is the next five years, really, in Hughes’ contract. If we’re not contending by that time, I’m not sure he wants to be a part of the organization moving forward. But that also depends on where Jersey is at during that time as well. There are some difficult decisions this off-season, but if PA and JR make the right moves this off-season, then we’re probably set up for a great future. Kuzmenko should help, if they can reel in that big fish. Let’s see what they can do. 

I suspect there will be a lot of movement this off-season. Whether it’s trades, or re-signing players to long term deals. 

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Without the OEL contract I think re-signing Miller is a no-brainer.  But you are right.  Having both on the team might put a strain on the cap in 2-3 years.  At the end of the day you pay Petey, Quinn and Demko.  The rest are all tradeable for the right price and you have to get your cap in place with the other contracts.  Miller can still fir in there, but you have to get rid of Boeser and Garland and get cheaper wingers on ELC contracts.

I think if they can’t get a deal done with Brock on a long term deal with a reasonable cap hit, he’s as good as gone. Can probably get a 1st for him and a prospect. Garland maybe can get us a 1st, but I think a 2nd is more likely. If we can get 3 1st round picks would be crazy in terms of going a long way of restocking our prospect pool. But who replaces these guys that we’ll be trading out?

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

So your solution is to just keep OEL for another 5 years because you don't want any dead cap?  Is that accurate?

lol yes i'll keep OEL for 7.2 over having a dead cap of 3.6 + whatever inferior defenseman you replace him with for 3.6

• Upvote 1

Just now, wai_lai416 said:

lol yes i'll keep OEL for 7.2 over having a dead cap of 3.6 + whatever inferior defenseman you replace him with for 3.6

OEL has shown glimpses of pp scoring this year. Maybe another team would take a chance on him, because Hughes is ahead of him. 

That is if Ruthf can get the package right. 

4 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

OEL has shown glimpses of pp scoring this year. Maybe another team would take a chance on him, because Hughes is ahead of him. 

That is if Ruthf can get the package right. 

OEL could be a good fit in Pittsburgh with Letang on PP1.  With salary retained the deal could work cap wise...

• Cheers 1

20 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I don't know much about this Kuzmenko but these guys are always worth taking a flyer on.

What happens with Garland/Boeser also depends on Miller too. If we can't get him signed & we trade him for a haul, then maybe we have to keep Garland & Boeser to stay as competitive as we need too. 

Lots of possibilities. Trying to move Dickinson/Poolman & the Miller situation is priority #1. Beyond that trying to find another T3D (Severson?) is right there, and then rounding out the roster.

Deslauriers, Mikheyev, Nichuskin are UFA targets I'd love for the bottom 6.

Colin Miller & Justin Schultz are also intriguing defense names, tho I wouldn't want to pay a premium. Manson is one too but he'll likely command a big ticket. 

Any players on the free agent market is going to cost more to sign. Well, at least the bigger names will be. There’s usually the second and third tier free agents. I’m curious to see PA and JR’s ability to sign value contracts, unlike Benning. 

10 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

OEL could be a good fit in Pittsburgh with Letang on PP1.  With salary retained the deal could work cap wise...

if Pitts would take OEL, with salary retained, that would be a miracle to get him off the books.