The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2022-2023 Season Ticket Thread

Rate this topic

WalkWithElias

4 minutes ago, ronthecivil said:

Well I can tell you my liver and pocket book will enjoy this, but it's less revenue, in that I have significantly reduced the amount of beer I buy.

I have already tried to pursuade the people I go with to switch to half seasons.

The long wait list is gone. There are empty seats all the time. There are seasons tickets up for grabs.

Revenue = Sales x Price

Sure, more price helps, but when each sale is like $5000 plus food and drink, a nickel and dime exercise to squeeze a little more cash puts price up a little. But even a small decline on what is a big ticket item is not a system to maximise profit.

Bill Wirtz did that trick in Chicago, and the arena became almost a ghost town, and the team sucked. It took him dying and his son Rocky to turn things around with some fan friendly things, like putting home games on TV, a new arena, and a good team. Pretty sure that Rocky is making a lot more money from the team than Dad did.....

I can see what you mean.. thanks for sharing. I mean Aqua spend a lot of money on a super star roaster of economists and marketing gurus which entire job is to predict financial success..  looks like increasing pricing along with inflation and decreasing services blaming supply chain shortages offered a unique chance for Canucks to increase their revenues and (most) fans don't care or notice.

As an aspiring entrepreneur I admire how rich people get rich, I consume a lot of YouTube videos on financial strategies and models and Canucks are known to be one of the best teams in NHL to squeeze profits from their fans. Canucks have the golden standard basically on scouting for and hiring the best financial minds to keep the dollars coming making them one of the richest teams in the NHL, again win or lose. 

As you can see winning has nothing to do with profits contrary to fan belief which is why Aqua has little incentive to change anything I hope this will finally dwell on fans.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, CanuckRookieFan said:

I can see what you mean.. thanks for sharing. I mean Aqua spend a lot of money on a super star roaster of economists and marketing gurus which entire job is to predict financial success..  looks like increasing pricing along with inflation and decreasing services blaming supply chain shortages offered a unique chance for Canucks to increase their revenues and (most) fans don't care or notice.

As an aspiring entrepreneur I admire how rich people get rich, I consume a lot of YouTube videos on financial strategies and models and Canucks are known to be one of the best teams in NHL to squeeze profits from their fans. Canucks have the golden standard basically on scouting for and hiring the best financial minds to keep the dollars coming making them one of the richest teams in the NHL, again win or lose. 

As you can see winning has nothing to do with profits contrary to fan belief which is why Aqua has little incentive to change anything I hope this will finally dwell on fans.

History, oh how it likes to repeat itself, will come back don't worry. 

Half full stadiums were the norm for a long time.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

7 hours ago, WalkWithElias said:

Now that I went to CPA and experienced a game, it’s knocks Rogers arena out of the water for sure from the in game entertainment to the concession wait times in the concourse 

I am not surprised.  I complain about the chaos in the concourse every time they send me a survey but I'm sure they don't even look at those.   I even say I would buy more beer if I could get through the concession stand and to and from the bathroom quicker, thinking that might be a good reason to do something... but nothing ever changes.  

9 hours ago, SerenityNow said:

I am not surprised.  I complain about the chaos in the concourse every time they send me a survey but I'm sure they don't even look at those.   I even say I would buy more beer if I could get through the concession stand and to and from the bathroom quicker, thinking that might be a good reason to do something... but nothing ever changes.  

It's been like this since it was built. I don't think there's anything they can do to fix it. When they added on the condos and expanded the concourse they thought it would alleviate some of the issues but it hasn't. Problem is they had to build Rogers arena sandwiched between the viaducts and so it has the narrowest concourse probably of any arena in the NHL. I feel like their response is kind of like... "Well if you don't like it, then get club seats". I've been to the Oilers new arena and my god, it is beautiful. So much better then our arena. Oh well. We aren't getting a new arena for another 40 years probably so gotta suck it up.

14 hours ago, DonaldBrashear said:

It's been like this since it was built. I don't think there's anything they can do to fix it. When they added on the condos and expanded the concourse they thought it would alleviate some of the issues but it hasn't. Problem is they had to build Rogers arena sandwiched between the viaducts and so it has the narrowest concourse probably of any arena in the NHL. I feel like their response is kind of like... "Well if you don't like it, then get club seats". I've been to the Oilers new arena and my god, it is beautiful. So much better then our arena. Oh well. We aren't getting a new arena for another 40 years probably so gotta suck it up.

Yeah.  I do acknowledge that when I write my rant in the survey.  I say "I realize the area is constrained by the viaducts but there has to be something you can do".  And, when I am not full of rage, I can admit that they seem to have made some kind of attempt by making the lines zig-zag horizontally rather than just let them jut straight out across the concourse.  HOWEVER, the lines themselves continue to move SLOWLY which I am confident can be improved.  PLUS I will continue to suggest a membership perk should be a separate concession or line.  But I am sure you are right, any kind of perk like that would be reserved for the club seat section.

20 hours ago, DonaldBrashear said:

It's also in Edmonton. Way cheaper to build (and with government assistance). I can have a mansion there for the price of a Rogers Arena beer. And I'd probably rather have the beer.

Edited by McBackup
  • Haha 1

On 10/28/2022 at 7:31 AM, SerenityNow said:

Agree,  there are some real nice stadiums in the league now with much better sightlines, services and even prices.   Rogers is almost 30 years old and although still having some life left in it, is fast approaching it's useful end of life.   My guess is they leave it for 4-5 more years at the most and either do a heavy reno or demolish it.   

The 300 level seating and concourse are way out of date, too cramped, lacking enough urination facilities, and claustrophobic.    I know JR had mentioned "sprucing things up" but I'm not sure Aqua-Lini will go for it - being the cheap-skate he is - having refused a complete rebuild (from past GM's) and soft revenues for a few years while the team gets properly built up again into an actual cup contending franchise for the first time ever!   So if he's too cheap to properly fix the actual team - you can bet the facility is way down his "to-do" list.

So my prediction is that Aqua-Lini does a half-baked makeover (new lipstick on the pig) that keeps things more-or less the same at Rogers for a few more years until the new owners take over and be left to deal with the run-down mess by Aqua-Lini after he's run out of town in disgrace - for failure to ice a cup contender in years.

Edited by RU SERIOUS
  • Like 1

On 10/29/2022 at 2:23 PM, McBackup said:

It's also in Edmonton. Way cheaper to build (and with government assistance). I can have a mansion there for the price of a Rogers Arena beer. And I'd probably rather have the beer.

That's why most young "real" Vancouverites & BC'ers are moving to Alberta in droves, so they can afford things and have a chance to have a normal life.   (Can't blame them one bit)

13 hours ago, RU SERIOUS said:

That's why most young "real" Vancouverites & BC'ers are moving to Alberta in droves, so they can afford things and have a chance to have a normal life.   (Can't blame them one bit)

Yeah and Alberta is advertising everywhere trying to get them to move there. 

At the end of the day, it's about what you value and bang for your buck. 

• Cheers 1

I bet it won't just be young people moving away, although obviously that is who Alberta wants/needs.  We are starting to think about what we will do when we retire.  We could move elsewhere and stretch our savings a lot farther.  As I remarked, though, upon seeing those ads:  the problem with moving to Alberta is.... you have to live in Alberta.  Ah well, maybe it's not that bad.  I originally moved here, some decades ago, mainly for the climate.  That is changing as we all know.  

52 minutes ago, SerenityNow said:

I bet it won't just be young people moving away, although obviously that is who Alberta wants/needs.  We are starting to think about what we will do when we retire.  We could move elsewhere and stretch our savings a lot farther.  As I remarked, though, upon seeing those ads:  the problem with moving to Alberta is.... you have to live in Alberta.  Ah well, maybe it's not that bad.  I originally moved here, some decades ago, mainly for the climate.  That is changing as we all know.  

I already know retirees who are moving to Alberta to stretch their money farther. It's happening. 

Personally, while I really enjoy living in Vancouver, it's reaching the point where what I'm paying to be here isn't worth what I'm getting out of it though. That's a calculation everybody needs to make and it's subjective to them. I wouldn't want to move to Alberta though, maybe a smaller town in the interior.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

You know, I was thinking about what we were discussing last week.  How narrow the space is between the viaducts and how little room there is in the concourse.  It gets so crowded during intermissions and when exiting the game, you can barely move.  It was merely unpleasant and irritating until this last weekend.  Now I can't help thinking about what could happen if there were a fire or a panic started for any reason.  

Best thing about this season is talking to fellow STH’s at games and sharing the same views. It’s therapeutic.

Agreed with the discussion about the narrow concourse, don’t think anything will change until there’s a new building. The viaducts are what they are and there’s not a lot that can be done to get around it. It is what it is-TB44

Man, I'm I glad I finally cancelled my ST's.   I would have been cursing spending thousands on this garbage - Again.    I feel really bad for all the poor STH's that got sucked in this season with a splashy 60 second video or some "canned" email from Frankie promising how "this will be the year" and "how things have turned around" Hahaha!

I've heard enough B.S. come out of Aqua-lini's mouth to last a lifetime and kick myself for not giving up my seats years ago.  As they say, you get wiser as you get older!

• Like 1