The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Blackhawks trade Alex DeBrincat to Senators for 2022 1st-round pick, 2022 2nd-round pick, 2024 3rd-round pick

6 hours ago, HighOnHockey said:

I &^@#ing love it. Exactly the kind of trade I - and most Sens fans - have been clamoring for. A young established player who can be part of the core going forward. But I never imagined we could get a player of this quality for this little of a return. 7th overall is very valuable, sure, but fans all thought for certain it would need to involve at least one young roster piece like Pinto or Formenton, in addition to picks and prospects.

@hammertime is always going on about how it's better to draft big Cs and Ds because they're so hard to come by, vs. small, skilled wingers because they're always getting traded. Generally I find he over-simplifies and over-states the issue, but this is the prime example right here. How the &^@# do you get a 24 year old 2-time 40 goal-scorer for a 1st, 2nd and 3rd?! (3 times paced 40 goals)

Keller or Fiala would have been pretty sick too, but if there's one thing the Sens needed to add it was goal scoring, and if there is one thing DeBrincat does, it's score goals. Couldn't have been a more perfect fit. And maybe DeBrincat relied a lot on Patrick Kane, but with the top line already pretty much locked in as Tkachuk-Norris-Batherson, what we were looking for more than anything was a winger to finish plays from Stutzle on the 1b line. It's unfair to compare any young player to Kane, but there are an awful lot of similarities between Stutzle and Kane. That duo is going to be dynamic, and while opponent's top lines and defense pairs are tied up with the Tkachuk line, Stutzle and DeBrincat are going to eat most teams' second lines alive. Will be Connor Brown with them this year, but long-term I envision Formenton bringing some size and oomph to the line (bit of a Josh Anderson type).

Trade seems like an absolute home run for Ott. 

12 hours ago, HighOnHockey said:

I &^@#ing love it. Exactly the kind of trade I - and most Sens fans - have been clamoring for. A young established player who can be part of the core going forward. But I never imagined we could get a player of this quality for this little of a return. 7th overall is very valuable, sure, but fans all thought for certain it would need to involve at least one young roster piece like Pinto or Formenton, in addition to picks and prospects.

@hammertime is always going on about how it's better to draft big Cs and Ds because they're so hard to come by, vs. small, skilled wingers because they're always getting traded. Generally I find he over-simplifies and over-states the issue, but this is the prime example right here. How the &^@# do you get a 24 year old 2-time 40 goal-scorer for a 1st, 2nd and 3rd?! (3 times paced 40 goals)

Keller or Fiala would have been pretty sick too, but if there's one thing the Sens needed to add it was goal scoring, and if there is one thing DeBrincat does, it's score goals. Couldn't have been a more perfect fit. And maybe DeBrincat relied a lot on Patrick Kane, but with the top line already pretty much locked in as Tkachuk-Norris-Batherson, what we were looking for more than anything was a winger to finish plays from Stutzle on the 1b line. It's unfair to compare any young player to Kane, but there are an awful lot of similarities between Stutzle and Kane. That duo is going to be dynamic, and while opponent's top lines and defense pairs are tied up with the Tkachuk line, Stutzle and DeBrincat are going to eat most teams' second lines alive. Will be Connor Brown with them this year, but long-term I envision Formenton bringing some size and oomph to the line (bit of a Josh Anderson type).

That's interesting: I for sure thought that they'd put DeBrincat with Tkachuk, but you're right that they might put him with Stutzle. Regardless, it definitely balances the lines out, and makes for a much more dangerous top 6.

I can't believe Chicago didn't get a roster player back. 7th overall is valuable, but they'd be lucky to have it come out as good as DeBrincat, a two time 40 goal scorer. 

I've never been a big fan of the Senators, but I am starting to become excited about what they are building. 

Edited by Nave