The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

CDCGML 2022 - 23

Mike Vanderhoek

1 minute ago, Rush17 said:

I can't remember. Do we need to qualify our guys (rfas) or are their rights held indefinitely until the Dec cut off barring no offer sheets?

For all GMS

YOU MUST QUALIFY ANY RFA YOU INTEND TO RETAIN VIA PM TO AN AGENT.

you can post in thread as well BUT MUST PM AN AGENT YOUR QUALIFYING OFFERS or said players will not be qualified.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

I agree in terms of the salary cap. As GM I made moves and preparations based on the real cap number. The increase is disappointing and affects me. Decisions were made re: Dispersal based on available cap.

That said it was put through by the league and as we all have the same number to work with and it does not change the floor I feel with exception of some plans being undermined across the board a little more funny money to play with is fair.

I believe discussions are in the works to make it harder to bury cap before this next season starts. That would be a bonus. Some shady GMs had NHL players waived and sitting in the minors this year. No no.

We had planned on using our cap space to acquire bad contracts and pick up draft assets as is common for rebuilding teams to do.

Unfortunately, in GML, there is essentially no reason to ever do this as you can just sacrifice a bit of player relations budget (what does this even do) to jack up your minors salary cap and absorb your own bad deals.

We should just have the NHL rule with regards to buried cap, 975,000 of relied and the rest counts against your NHL number.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Caboose said:

We had planned on using our cap space to acquire bad contracts and pick up draft assets as is common for rebuilding teams to do.

Unfortunately, in GML, there is essentially no reason to ever do this as you can just sacrifice a bit of player relations budget (what does this even do) to jack up your minors salary cap and absorb your own bad deals.

We should just have the NHL rule with regards to buried cap, 975,000 of relied and the rest counts against your NHL number.

Up the minors budget then lose out on something else though. It's a balance. Still have to plan accordingly. Player relations helps when it comes to free agency and asking players to waive their clauses. So not necessarily the best thing to lose out on

All signings and team sheets are up to date.

If you have posted that you have qualified RFAs, they will appear in Bold until the agent has confirmed with me that they have been qualified, then they will be switched to italics.

Please post up to date rosters so I can update team lineups, this will help free agents understand their projected position on your club and help with decision making, and also gives you the most accurate number on your salary cap situation.  Remember to double check your minors for players who should be on the big club.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Caboose said:

Yes, we also had hoped to gain assets using our cap space.

As for player relations, the more you assign to your player relations budget, the more chance you supposedly have of getting free agents to sign with your team.

2 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

Yes, we also had hoped to gain assets using our cap space.

As for player relations, the more you assign to your player relations budget, the more chance you supposedly have of getting free agents to sign with your team.

Just want to address a few things here as they seem to be topics of conversation lately.

There are steps coming in the next day or two that I hope will reduce (though it will not eliminate) teams burying players in the minors.  It is possible to weaponize cap space, but we do have avenues in place to try to maintain some flexibility so as to not hamstring teams for years.  It's a delicate balance.

And as for Player Relations, your statement is true, to a point.

Player Relations budgets are a sliding scale dependent on the rest of the league.  During contract negotiations, it is one of the factors that goes into consideration, but it is not the only factor.  Salary, player role, roster fit, team direction etc are all aspects that make a difference.  When a player is choosing between two teams, having a superior player relations budget is a point in your favour.  If a player is weighing their options, and there's 3 areas that lean towards one team, and three areas that lean towards another, the team with the higher player relations budget is likely signing that player.  It also helps when re-signing players in regards to more team desirable term on occasion, or less emphasis on trade protection etc.  Every situation is it's own, but it does come into play. 

I understand the frustration with the vagueness at times regarding player relation, but it comes into play more often than people think. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 3

34 minutes ago, canuck2xtreme said:

Just want to address a few things here as they seem to be topics of conversation lately.

There are steps coming in the next day or two that I hope will reduce (though it will not eliminate) teams burying players in the minors.  It is possible to weaponize cap space, but we do have avenues in place to try to maintain some flexibility so as to not hamstring teams for years.  It's a delicate balance.

And as for Player Relations, your statement is true, to a point.

Player Relations budgets are a sliding scale dependent on the rest of the league.  During contract negotiations, it is one of the factors that goes into consideration, but it is not the only factor.  Salary, player role, roster fit, team direction etc are all aspects that make a difference.  When a player is choosing between two teams, having a superior player relations budget is a point in your favour.  If a player is weighing their options, and there's 3 areas that lean towards one team, and three areas that lean towards another, the team with the higher player relations budget is likely signing that player.  It also helps when re-signing players in regards to more team desirable term on occasion, or less emphasis on trade protection etc.  Every situation is it's own, but it does come into play. 

I understand the frustration with the vagueness at times regarding player relation, but it comes into play more often than people think. 

As I stated to our fans I made some mistakes, players not living up to our  expectations so when it became clear we could not compete I decided it was time for a full rebuild.

I also want to build a team that I can call my own. 

We did not deliberately tank or try to end with the best draft pick. 

What we were hoping for was that like IRL teams that are having trouble signing all their players, that some might become available in Free Agency and with our extra funds we could afford them, that's the purpose of a salary cap. 

A couple of GM's actually stated they would have trouble staying under the cap.

Real life is hurting us as well, our best prospect, Logan Cooley does not want to sign with his team because of the issues surrounding them. 

As for player relations I was just trying to give Cabby an idea of what those funds are to be used for.

None of this is meant to be a criticism, as I have stated many times, I am grateful for the time and effort you and others put into this game.

35 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

As I stated to our fans I made some mistakes, players not living up to our  expectations so when it became clear we could not compete I decided it was time for a full rebuild.

I also want to build a team that I can call my own. 

We did not deliberately tank or try to end with the best draft pick. 

What we were hoping for was that like IRL teams that are having trouble signing all their players, that some might become available in Free Agency and with our extra funds we could afford them, that's the purpose of a salary cap. 

A couple of GM's actually stated they would have trouble staying under the cap.

Real life is hurting us as well, our best prospect, Logan Cooley does not want to sign with his team because of the issues surrounding them. 

As for player relations I was just trying to give Cabby an idea of what those funds are to be used for.

None of this is meant to be a criticism, as I have stated many times, I am grateful for the time and effort you and others put into this game.

I should note that my post wasn't directed specifically at you, yours was just the post I quoted because it encompassed two issues I wanted to touch on. 

Teams will still have issues staying under the cap. 

I do understand the angle you were going for in that regard, and while a raised cap does alleviate some pressure on some teams, it won't solve them.  There will still be opportunities for you to make these types of moves.  There are still some teams that will be in a very tight spot.

• Cheers 1

Tampa Bay Lightning Off Season Roster

Jake Debrusk - Dylan Cozens - Rickard Rakell

Tyler Bertuzzi - Max Domi - Michael Bunting

Jesperi Kotkaniemi - Anton Lundell - Victor Olofsson

Frank Vatrano - Jean Gabriel Pageau - Nils Hoglander

Pavel Dorofeyev - Connor McMichael

Shea Theodore - Rasmus Andersson

Alexander Romanov - Mattias Ekholm

Jake McCabe - Conor Timmins

Jakub Zboril

Ilya Sorokin

Daniel Vladar

Atlanta Thrashers Roster

Alex Nylander - Brendan Brisson - Egor Afanasyev

Daniel Torgersson - Jake Leschyshyn - Noel Gunler

Mathias Emilio Petterssen - Jake Wise - Adam Klapka

Bogdan Trineyev - Roni Hirvonen - Filip Cedarqvist

Simon Knak - Robert Mastrosimone

Hugo Alnefelt

Olle Eriksson Ek

Daniel Chechelev

Players in BOLD are available and on the block. We likely will not be very active in Free Agency, but we plan to be active in the trade market. We hope to move a F or two out his off season, but are very happy with the team we have built and potentially will start the season with come October

TRADE: The Columbus Blue Jackets have made a trade with the Seattle Kraken.

To SEA:

spacer.png EDM 2023 1st Round Draft Selection (20th overall)

To CBJ:

spacer.png Peter Diliberatore ($150,000 retained by SEA)
spacer.png SEA 2023 2nd Round Draft Selection (50th overall)
spacer.png ANA 2023 3rd Round Draft Selection (77th overall)
spacer.png SEA 2023 3rd Round Draft Selection (82nd overall)
spacer.png TOR 2023 3rd Round Draft Selection (86th overall)
spacer.png SEA 2024 2nd Round Draft Selection
spacer.png SEA 2024 3rd Round Draft Selection

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Wat 3

9 days to go!

Maple Leafs are looking to get a pick in the 15 - 25 range. We have 41 & 44 we can package together to move up, and if needed we have prospects we may be willing to add to the package to get a deal done