The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

CDCGML 2022 - 23

Mike Vanderhoek

15 hours ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

I would just like to post this here, so that all members can see this, as well as any future members.

I have been having problems understanding the collective agreement and getting contracts sign. That is in part, because of the learning curve, and part because of my health.

I would just like to thank @canuck2xtreme @Mike Vanderhoek @ThatMike for there guidance and patience, in helping me. I think it is important for any future members that join , to know what kind of support, they have behind them, coming into a new league. I am sure that those, I have not used, are as equally, diligent, and helpful, and I appreciate all the help.

Things do not always go as planned, but these guys do their best to help in anyway possible. (all in their spare time)

So, thank you again, fellows

Regards JISAHN

Hey JIAHN 

Hope everything is alright with you. 

Just PM me if you want a chat or to just throw some Sh!t around.

Always here my friend.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

14 hours ago, canuck2xtreme said:

Salary Cap Announcement!!

We have always matched our salary cap to the NHL's salary cap in the past.  However, given that we've reduced 2 teams (6.25% fewer than the NHL's 32 teams), that's 2 teams worth of players that are now spread across the league, including star players etc., which puts an unexpected strain on everyone's cap numbers.

To compensate for this, the league in implementing the following salary cap provision that will take effect beginning next season and continue each year until re-expansion.

When the NHL salary cap is announced for next season, the league will increase the GML salary cap to 6.25% above the NHL number.

So for example, if the announced NHL salary cap is $83.5 million:

If/when we expand back to 32 teams, we will reduce the salary cap increase to 3.25% in the first year after expansion and then eliminate it for the 2nd year, dropping back down to the NHL number gradually to give teams a chance to adjust.

As a team that is rebuilding I hope that the league is not raising the cap floor. 

I don't want to be forced into offering  larger contracts to UFA'S just to hit the cap floor.

Also while I can understand to a certain extent why the league is doing this, cap space is a factor that all GM's have to deal with.

IRL we can see how crucial this is.

What kinda pisses me off is that IRL most of the increase in cap space is eaten up by the " stars" signing contracts that take up 10- 12 percent of the cap.

They state they want to win then hamstring their teams by demanding these cap eating salaries.

If that was me I couldn't look my team mates in the eye.

Winning is far more important than money to me, and what comes with winning is immortality, ones name on the cup.

Next year one team will have 3 players taking up 30 million of their teams cap.

Willing to bet they won't win the cup.

Hockey, like any team sport, is a game that involves all players, all playing their roles.

A champion team will always beat a team of champions as the NHL illustrates. 

This is all stated with respect to the other 30 GM's in this league.

I hope I haven't offended anyone by speaking my mind, something I have always done, and will always do.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

5 hours ago, Ilunga said:

As a team that is rebuilding I hope that the league is not raising the cap floor. 

I don't want to be forced into offering  larger contracts to UFA'S just to hit the cap floor.

Also while I can understand to a certain extent why the league is doing this, cap space is a factor that all GM's have to deal with.

What kinda pisses me off is that IRL most of the increase in cap space is eaten up by the " stars" signing contracts that take up 10- 12 percent of the cap.

They state they want to win then hamstring their teams by demanding these cap eating salaries.

Winning is far more important than money to me, and what comes with winning is immortality, ones name on the cup.

Hockey, like any team sport, is a game that involves all players, all playing their roles.

I hope I haven't offended anyone by speaking my mind, something I have always done, and will always do.

I agree with you on this Ilunga. Some of my decisions during the dispersal draft were based on trying to keep cap flexibility, and I actual remember thinking to my self, in regards to Drew Doughty that who ever takes him is going to be pushed for cap, and there will be some tough decisions made, as to who to trade/keep. Then in one single blow, that concern was looked after by artificially raising the limit. Yes, it helped some, but it punished others. IMO, that is not right, and should not have been done. This is exactly the same problem that the Canucks have today, as others have as well. GM's made decisions based on talent and not asset management. Which is part of the whole equation. I now, know that teams will basically not have to make those decisions, and the league should have taken it to a vote, where I/we could have had a discussion on it. OH, well, what is done is done, and I hold not grudges, but I think it is a point that should have been discussed. Hindsight is always 20/20.

• There it is 1

Maybe us teams that have to reach the cap floor should have special cap considerations too, so that we do not have to sign bad contracts to get up to it.......it is the same argument in reverse as being tight to the ceiling.........just saying. Again, I am sure the decision was made in trying to be fair. I am good with that! It is just a point for debate. (And I like whining!)

Edited by J.I.A.H.N
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Ilunga said:

Yes most days it's a struggle to just live ATM.

It's so messed up that the cause of my distress is my son, and the only thing that's keeping me going is my son.  

Hope you are cruising along mate.

You will always be a whatthenuck brother to me.

Squeak and Sharpie as well.

Love you brother! 

• Huggy Bear 1

21 hours ago, Primal Optimist said:

While I was more hopeful that the 40 some-odd regular NHLers being in the pool more than teams can accommodate would work nicely for bottom clubs to flesh out a more competitive team, for league parity, I can see where this decision is coming from. No real objection, just curious if the other side of that decision was debated among the exec or if mostly folks just wanted to add more stars to their starstudded lineups. hehehe. *rooting for the underdog*. There is the real peril that this inflation will stretch the gap, so to speak, which could be long term unhealthy decision for the leagues future prosperity. Having said that, I can dig the higher cap numbers too, so not much concern outside of the general question.

It was certainly a consideration from myself anyway.

But really, bottom teams just got to add two good, to very good, players in the expansion draft (or more if they actively made trades in that process). Most have numerous high draft picks in a deep draft, and now extra cap space to sign UFAs and/or take on contracts in trade.

The only thing keeping teams from being competitive, would be themselves and maybe some time there.

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, Ilunga said:

4 hours ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

Maybe us teams that have to reach the cap floor should have special cap considerations too, so that we do not have to sign bad contracts to get up to it.......it is the same argument in reverse as being tight to the ceiling.........just saying. Again, I am sure the decision was made in trying to be fair. I am good with that! It is just a point for debate. (And I like whining!)

The cap floor will be remaining as is, at this time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@canuck2xtreme If we could get our team sheet organized when you have a moment as well, it would be appreciated :) 

Avalanche

Robertson, Zibanejad, Guentzel

Bennett, Pavelski, Nichushkin

Moore, Backlund, Jarvis

Lomberg, McBain, ____

Smith

Orlov, McAvoy

____, Pesce

DeHaan, Cernak

Raddysh, Carrier

Hart, Raanta

Springs