The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2023 NHL Entry Draft

6 hours ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

40 NHL scouts watched defensive prospect David Reinbacher (RHD) in yesterdays game against the top team EHC Biel. Unfortunately Biel, currently ranked second in the league lost it's home game against a bottom feeder team on Sunday and bounced back in yesterday's game against Reinbacher's team. EHC Biel brought their A-game and had a 5:0 lead after the first period. Was one of the most brutal first periods for EHC Kloten.

10 NHL scouts watched Reinbacher in November 2023. and now we're at 40 scouts in February 2023. That demonstrates that he has drawn significant interest from lot's of NHL teams over the last couple of months.

one a side note I would like to mention that Reinbacher as a 18 year old is the only D-Man on the team with a positive +/-. That's quite impressive although it's just one stat amongst many other stats. A positive +/-  as a top pairing D on a weak team is IMO more impressive than a positive +/- for a defensive prospect playing for a team that's currently sitting on the top of the standings in the SHL.  I don't like to take anything away from what Axel-Sandin Pelikka has achieved so far.

While I am not the biggest fan of reinbacher, I do think we might have to take him in the five to seven range cuz he won't be there if we get the isles second. The market for rhd is like lhp in baseball. Absolutely bonkers, even for average players.

On today's episode of players of interest.

Samuel Barcik 6'2 RHD this kid has been playing in Slovakias top mens league since his D-1 He's got the size, skates well enough plays strong on the boards. You would think he is a 1 dimensional defensive D and he plays that role in pros. However, against his age group, he activates as a 4th attacker and has put up very good point totals. He's definitely worth a look with our 3rd. 

Aiden Celebrini 6'1 RHD let's call this foreshadowing. JR/PA galaxy brain pick. Yes Macklin Celebrini's brother. Possibly another talented D from the Brooks Bandits D factory. Projects as maybe a 5th/6th. 

Erik Pohlkamp. @Isam great pick looks very promising. Spiffy point totals this year. Kid was listed 5'10 210 last year and didn't jump off the page he's 5'11 and slimmed to 202 re hockey DB admittedly I haven't seen or been paying much attention to him but it looks like there could be something there if he can skate and control his weight. This is a very surface impression. Colour me intrigued.

Philip Fankl big shut down defense first C can score in the paint. Look for him to make a big jump in his development in his d+1. 

Zeb Forsfjall Smallish C really impressed at both Hilinkas and WJAC I have my 2nd round targets he isn't one at our pick anyway. But if he's there for our 3rd I think we run to the podium. Here's a blurb re Hilinkas. Zeb was Sweden’s top center for the tournament and did an excellent job at his two-way play. He was fast on his feet and maintained a quick first step the entire tournament, utilizing his edges and ability to quickly change speed frequently. He was an excellent puck carrier and distributor (see video on his three assists), for Sweden and did very well at finding the best options moving into high chance areas and feeding them the puck. He showed no fear when attacking the net or the puck and was rewarded with two goals. Defensively Zeb played with his head up and did very well to pressure the puck carrier and cause turnovers. I feel due to his size he may be looked over (insert height joke here), but don’t count him out. He could very well be a second-round choice in the draft. – Matt Hnatiuk

Anton Ohlsson C Get him in the 4th if you can fantastic 2 way C pro size has been very impressive against his peers. Enough to get a cup of coffee with the big boys.

Of course, I'm still pulling for Juraj Pekarcik and Carter Sotheran!!

Lets weaponize some cap and get some more pix. 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Isam said:

While I am not the biggest fan of reinbacher, I do think we might have to take him in the five to seven range cuz he won't be there if we get the isles second. The market for rhd is like lhp in baseball. Absolutely bonkers, even for average players.

Welcome to the team. I'm with you too I'm on the fence but...... The building blocks are there. We can control his dev in the AHL. I've described him as a shrinking violet before buuuuuuuut I don't get the feeling he will go the way of Olli Juolevi. I've seen him compared to Shea Theodore  and by yourself Dobson and honsetly I don't think those are outlandish comparisons. Do I think we left the best player on the table if we take him ......? Yes probably.... But this isn't a Tkachuk situation where we miss on a guy we have needed for ever! We might miss on a PPG finesse winger. If we are reaching for a Barlow/Moore we may as well take Rein.   

Edited by hammertime
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

11 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Welcome to the team. I'm with you too I'm on the fence but like...... The building blocks are there. We can control his dev in the AHL. I've described him as a shrinking violet before buuuuuuuut I don't get the feeling he will go the way of Olli Juolevi. I've seen him compared to Shea Theodore  and by yourself Dobson and honsetly I don't think those are outlandish comparisons. Do I think we left the best player on the table if we take him ......? Yes probably.... But this isn't a Tkachuk situation where we miss on a guy we have needed for like ever! We might miss on a PPG finesse winger. If we are reaching for a Barlow/Moore we may as well take Rein.   

It would be closer to dobson then Theodore. His gap control and how he controls his stick in the defensive zone is superb, but he has worts like you or I said. But it worries the hell out of me when we go for need. Just hoping smith or Benson don't hit if we go this route.

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, Isam said:

One thing I do like about reinbacher and this is the same with simashev is their composure. They don't get rattled as much like other defensemen if the system breaks down in their own end 

I ditto @Ilunga I'm curious of your commentary re Swiss pro league as a dev program good or bad. We have seen quite a few very good players translate from there recently. 

Edited by hammertime

25 minutes ago, hammertime said:

I ditto @Ilunga I'm curious of your commentary re Swiss pro league as a dev program good or bad. We have seen quite a few very good players translate from there recently. 

Sure, but it has nothing to do with the actual pro league itself. It comes down to coaching in the youth ranks and their emphasis on the game and systems instead of skills or the basics.  Swiss prospects tend to come out more behind in development if they stay in Switzerland instead of jumping to the shl, chl etc. I keep thinking that to get good competition for them and actually improve the league itself is that they go the usdp route.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Isam said:

Sure, but it has nothing to do with the actual pro league itself. It comes down to coaching in the youth ranks and their emphasis on the game and systems instead of skills or the basics.  Swiss prospects tend to come out more behind in development if they stay in Switzerland instead of jumping to the shl, chl etc. I keep thinking that to get good competition for them and actually improve the league itself is that they go the usdp route.

Can we get Reinbacher to the AHL next year??

32 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

After the draft lottery, assume we finish with our 5th pick and NYI's 14th.

Would you trade them together for the 3rd overall pick?

It would be tempting but I think you are overspending for the third. Depends on the pick valuation and who you are selecting.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Isam said:

I think so. If it was under Trent cull I wouldn't. 

What do we pay em for though? Regardless of our track record with prospects, there is only one way to change that. I think organizationally we need to turn that corner.  I'd like to see Silvos Hog's, Pod, Wolly and the rest go on a nice run here in the playoffs lets start changing that reputation now. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, hammertime said:

What do we pay em for though? Regardless of our track record with prospects, there is only one way to change that. I think organizationally we need to turn that corner.  I'd like to see Silvos Hog's, Pod, Wolly and the rest go on a nice run here in the playoffs lets start changing that reputation now. 

Already been established. I think it is a 300 grand buyout. Someone can correct me. 

• Cheers 1

15 hours ago, HighOnHockey said:

Well, I know nothing about Simashev. Haven't seen too much Reinbacher either. The others I've seen all quite a bit.

Apologies because I know you're a ASP fan, but from what I have seen and heard, basically everything people want Sandin-Pellikka to be, Gulyayev actually is.

Be a good year to develop a draft board

3 hours ago, hammertime said:

On today's episode of players of interest.

Samuel Barcik 6'2 RHD this kid has been playing in Slovakias top mens league since his D-1 He's got the size, skates well enough plays strong on the boards. You would think he is a 1 dimensional defensive D and he plays that role in pros. However, against his age group, he activates as a 4th attacker and has put up very good point totals. He's definitely worth a look with our 3rd. 

Aiden Celebrini 6'1 RHD let's call this foreshadowing. JR/PA galaxy brain pick. Yes Macklin Celebrini's brother. Possibly another talented D from the Brooks Bandits D factory. Projects as maybe a 5th/6th. 

Erik Pohlkamp. @Isam great pick looks very promising. Spiffy point totals this year. Kid was listed 5'10 210 last year and didn't jump off the page he's 5'11 and slimmed to 202 re hockey DB admittedly I haven't seen or been paying much attention to him but it looks like there could be something there if he can skate and control his weight. This is a very surface impression. Colour me intrigued.

Philip Fankl big shut down defense first C can score in the paint. Look for him to make a big jump in his development in his d+1. 

Zeb Forsfjall Smallish C really impressed at both Hilinkas and WJAC I have my 2nd round targets he isn't one at our pick anyway. But if he's there for our 3rd I think we run to the podium. Here's a blurb re Hilinkas. Zeb was Sweden’s top center for the tournament and did an excellent job at his two-way play. He was fast on his feet and maintained a quick first step the entire tournament, utilizing his edges and ability to quickly change speed frequently. He was an excellent puck carrier and distributor (see video on his three assists), for Sweden and did very well at finding the best options moving into high chance areas and feeding them the puck. He showed no fear when attacking the net or the puck and was rewarded with two goals. Defensively Zeb played with his head up and did very well to pressure the puck carrier and cause turnovers. I feel due to his size he may be looked over (insert height joke here), but don’t count him out. He could very well be a second-round choice in the draft. – Matt Hnatiuk

Anton Ohlsson C Get him in the 4th if you can fantastic 2 way C pro size has been very impressive against his peers. Enough to get a cup of coffee with the big boys.

Of course, I'm still pulling for Juraj Pekarcik and Carter Sotheran!!

Lets weaponize some cap and get some more pix. 

Late round target?

https://www.timescolonist.com/sports/grizzlies-highly-touted-blue-liner-stanley-set-to-make-bchl-debut-5027151

had an Owen Pickering like growth spurt 

could be a nice local project RHD 

• Like 1