The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2023 NHL Entry Draft

28 minutes ago, Pure961089 said:

I look at Musty, if this were any other draft he'd be in consideration of a top 5 player with Byfield comparisons being tossed around.  Just shows you how deep this draft is. 

I think this is really true. I'm going to assume teams must have really done their homework here as it's not like he was a secret coming into this year. He's been on radar for a while if he's not pushing the needle maybe he's not that interesting. 

I agree though the small amount I have seen him in real time play when I'm looking at "table 5" I'm going to coin this phrase because I think its great. I think Musty has "Table 5" potential!  

2 hours ago, hammertime said:

Elaborate? This is a very dismissive response. 

You're obviously no dumb dumb.

I just think. You can't quantify maturity. Jake Virtanen is the poster boy. You've got a kid here who has been the youngest players on his team at every level and he's overcome with tenacity, heart, and battle + all of the intangibles to play one of the more detail oriented coaches favorite player games overall. He's not 6'4 220.

Sure he's Loui little things but he's also 18 I think that says a lot. 

As the youngest 17 yearold he went 0.88 ppg in U20 and put up 3ppg in u18

As the youngest 16 yearold he went 2ppg in u18 

People are sleeping on this kid. It was not an easy path to get where he is and do what he's done and it shows in the maturity with which he plays well beyond his years. Players development isn't liner.

I'm going to take the kid who is showing me maturity now over the one I hope does one day maybe. 

I'll try explaining this another way. For younger kids certainly a few months difference in age can be very significant. By age 16, 17, 18, a few months doesn't mean that much anymore. If you take players of the same birth year in a given league (say CHL) and sort average production by birth month, the number of months age difference will be a relatively minor factor within 9 months difference. The difference between a player in their second CHL season to their third CHL season is vastly more significant. Look at Roope Hintz, Jesse Kiiskinen and Lenni Hameenaho as a good case study, as all are within a few months apart, and had somewhat similar 17 year old seasons, and then Hintz and Hameenaho had somewhat similar 18 year old seasons and it remains to be seen what Kiiskinen will do. I think for debate to even really be possible, everyone should at least be able to agree on the facts, and the fact of season-to-season prospect progression is about the most well-documented fact we have.

16 minutes ago, HighOnHockey said:

I'll try explaining this another way. For younger kids certainly a few months difference in age can be very significant. By age 16, 17, 18, a few months doesn't mean that much anymore. If you take players of the same birth year in a given league (say CHL) and sort average production by birth month, the number of months age difference will be a relatively minor factor within 9 months difference. The difference between a player in their second CHL season to their third CHL season is vastly more significant. Look at Roope Hintz, Jesse Kiiskinen and Lenni Hameenaho as a good case study, as all are within a few months apart, and had somewhat similar 17 year old seasons, and then Hintz and Hameenaho had somewhat similar 18 year old seasons and it remains to be seen what Kiiskinen will do. I think for debate to even really be possible, everyone should at least be able to agree on the facts, and the fact of season-to-season prospect progression is about the most well-documented fact we have.

Yes I hear you the flip side of the coin is that OCT - DEC kids are unfairly represented through your lens. 

2 hours ago, Pure961089 said:

I look at Musty, if this were any other draft he'd be in consideration of a top 5 player with Byfield comparisons being tossed around.  Just shows you how deep this draft is. 

Too high and skating is a serious issue. You take Barlow if he is there

23 minutes ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

Lots to like at the 11th pick. I have Reinbacher, ASP, Moore, Barlow, Sale as potential targets. 

Barlow and moore. Going on board if they got simashev or go balls deep for cristall.