The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2023 NHL Entry Draft

36 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Yup, the combine may answer some of our questions. Should be good I can hardly wait.

Dvorsky or Reinbacher

Moore or Danielson

Wood or Benson

Sale or Barlow

ASP or Willander

Who do you all have right now?

One thing I've noticed about Sale from video is I like his acceleration and speed. Has anyone else noticed this or is it just me?

Reinbacher and Dvorsky is a tough decision. But since we have Hronek and we signed Woo and we also have Filip Johansson and Bear we should ok on the right side.  The most glaring need is centre depth so Dvorsky would be my pick if I had to choose between the 2.  

Between Moore and Danielson is also tough.  Moore and Danielson are both very fast.  Danielson might have more untapped potential but the same can be said for Moore.  But when Moore started playing with talented players you saw his production bump up.  So I'd lean towards Moore, he's a little faster and too. 

Between Wood and Benson I'd pick Benson.  I like Wood at 11 but I'd take Benson if I had a top 8 pick.  Benson has a star quality about him. Very conscientious defensively. Wood is very nice prospect but not in the same league as Benson.  

I like Sale but we have a lot of what Sale brings with Lekkerimaki and we have a lot of right winger prospects with Podkolzin and Klimovich so I'd pick Barlow. He's a power forward gritty left winger with top line potential. North/South guy and so eone Tocchet would love.  The Canucks need more of his ilk in the lineup.  Barlow.

ASP or Willander.  I'd pick ASP.  Willander hasn't produced very well in the Swedish u20 league.  ASP is not just a fast skater he has a very high hockey IQ.

Edited by Pure961089
  • Like 1
  • elephant 1

4 hours ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

I see Reinbacher playing in a Top 4 role with 20+ minutes per night in 2 years from now. He has already played 2 seasons against man at the age of 16/17 and has therefore in his draft year one more season at pro level under his belt than Seider.  Both have lots in common:  play a mature  game in their  draft year, play in all situations, played against quality opposition at the Worlds in their draft year, both have excellent hockey and defensive awareness, impact in all three zones, both  played in their draft year on the top  pairing! Give Reinbacher another two years in Switzerland and he will rock the NHL like Seider did. Seider played 23+minutes as a rookie in a top 4 role in Detroit.  I see  a similar  scenario for Reinbacher because both players have so much in common.

It took Seider 2 years to make his debut in the NHL - first year in Grand Rapids and second year in Rögle, SHL. Best thing for Reinbacher is to continue playing in Kloten, Switzerland for 2 more season, he will get plenty of ice time, coachs trusts him on the PK and PP and he can finish his professional training as a recruiter in summer 2024.

Exactly why Reinbacher will be gone around 6 or 7 unfortunately... 

I know all these forwards are highly touted but not seeing at least 2 d-men picked in the top 10 would be what, a once in 20 year draft?!? 

1 hour ago, spook007 said:

Tough calls... 

Dvorsky is going to be a warrior, I think. 
Wood is a real boom/bust prospect

Sale is a tough one. Does he really vanish during games, and only turn up in periods during them. 
It will be really tough to pick one of the ones, who reaches their potential... but if you do... bang, there really are some potential stars amogst those players. 

Yeah Wood is the biggest risk but biggest reward. What I like about him and Yager is they are absolute money at grabbing a puck out of nowhere when the play looks impossible and bang, wired top corner. They look NHL quality in that regard which is a skill that's impossible to teach I think.

Thanks for the input everyone. Looks like my afternoon will be spent watching Moore vs Danielson tape lol :P

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Cheers 1

Just now, Gawdzukes said:

Yeah Wood is the biggest risk but biggest reward. What I like about him and Yager is they are absolute money at grabbing a puck out of nowhere when the play looks impossible and bang, wired top corner. They look NHL quality in that regard which is a skill that's impossible to teach I think.

Skating will be a concern with wood, but the old saying 'you can't teach size' comes very much into play here... Big boy, with silky mitts, plays in front of the net... 

He is very much a boom /bust player... and that, I think, is likely going to make PA stay away from him, with so many other high potential players. I think he'll take a can't miss player, even if his top potential isn't the biggest... He can't afford our top prospects not making it, even though he wants to draft a difference maker...

• There it is 1

1 minute ago, Bure_Pavel said:

I would disagree with you on the floor of Wood. He is already a pt/game player in the NCAA, I see no reason that he couldn't carve out a bottom six role with his size and smarts if he cant improve his skating. He could easily be 6'5 220 lbs in the NHL. He claims his greatest ability is making something out of nothing, which is something you would want from a bottom six.  

Well you may be right, but not too sure...

He doesn't engage enough physically to score greasy goals, as per scouting reports, if his skating doesn't improve, and he wants to be efficient bottom 6 player, he needs to get more physical... ? 

The scouting reports do agree though, that he tends to make something out of nothing. 

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Gawdzukes said:

Dvorsky or Reinbacher

Moore or Danielson

Wood or Benson

Sale or Barlow

ASP or Willander

Decisions are based off of my personal BPA rankings.

Dvorsky 6th -  Both players address team needs, but Dvorsky is the BPA for me over Reinbacher.

Danielson 10th - I like his overall game and potential compared to Moore (11th), but the gap separating them for me is very slim.  

Wood 8th - Skating concerns aside, his upside is too match to pass on, although I feel that Benson (9th) is a safe pick that will be a difference maker sooner than Wood.

Sale 11th - I really like Barlow's (13th) skill set, but Sale's ceiling and pro game makes him the BPA for me here, but I feel he will slip because others seem to be raising their stock.

Willander - He brings a solid set of skills that could make him an all situation kind of dman that every team needs.  I was quite high on Sandin-Pellikka early on, but the u18s really highlighted the other draft talents which bumped him down quite a bit for me.

Like @HighOnHockey stated, there is way too much talent and potential in this years group of forwards to justify taking a dman in the first half of the first round, although there will be a team that will probably draft Reinbacher or Simashev higher than they should.

Gulyayev is my top rated dman followed closely by Reinbacher, Willander and Simashev in that order.

My top 15 is pretty much set.  I need to start slotting in the defensman between the remaining forwards to finalize my first round and I'm finding it hard to take Sandin-Pellikka ahead of a lot of these other players.

Sandin-Pellikka or Cristall?

Sandin-Pellikka or Perreault?

Sandin-Pellikka or Nadeau?

Sandin-Pellikka or Huultanen? 

Sandin-Pellikka or Musty?

Sandin-Pellikka or Ritchie?

• Cheers 3

44 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Well you may be right, but not too sure...

He doesn't engage enough physically to score greasy goals, as per scouting reports, if his skating doesn't improve, and he wants to be efficient bottom 6 player, he needs to get more physical... ? 

The scouting reports do agree though, that he tends to make something out of nothing. 

17 year olds aren't suppose to be physically dominant in the NCAA, it is very different from junior hockey. I think as he gets stronger and gets more comfortable using his size he will improve that part of his game, because his hands are deadly in tight. Him choosing the NCAA rather than playing with his buddy Bedard shows his commitment to getting stronger and faster via extra time in the gym.   

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bure_Pavel said:

17 year olds aren't suppose to be physically dominant in the NCAA, it is very different from junior hockey. I think as he gets stronger and gets more comfortable using his size he will improve that part of his game, because his hands are deadly in tight. Him choosing the NCAA rather than playing with his buddy Bedard shows his commitment to getting stronger and faster via extra time in the gym.   

Well that is what you hope for, but there is no guarantee that will happen, hence I feel he has a bigger bust potential. 
I do however believe he could become an elite power forward, which we are in dire need of, and have been like forever. 

I won't be unhappy should we draft him, but it will likely take longer to get him into the line up, than some of the other players avaiable at 11. 

Edited by spook007
  • There it is 1

58 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Well that is what you hope for, but there is no guarantee that will happen, hence I feel he has a bigger bust potential. 
I do however believe he could become an elite power forward, which we are in dire need of, and have been like forever. 

I won't be unhappy should we draft him, but it will likely take longer to get him into the line up, than some of the other players avaiable at 11. 

Yeah power forwards and Dmen usually need more time to develop. I can see Wood doing one more year of NCAA, one year of AHL, then ready to make the jump to full time NHLer in his Draft + 3 year.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Yeah power forwards and Dmen usually need more time to develop. I can see Wood doing one more year of NCAA, one year of AHL, then ready to make the jump to full time NHLer in his Draft + 3 year.

Well it'll be interesting to see, if he does indeed follow that path. 
If does materialize everyone who passed on him will likely regret it...

I'm not sold on it yet, but I do like the idea of what he could potentially become... 

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Dvorsky or Reinbacher  (#1-2 defensive RD)

Moore or Danielson  (#2C, with lots of speed)

Wood or Benson  (#1LW, one day)

Sale or Barlow  (#2RW, with grit/tenacity)

ASP or Willander (#1-2 mobile RD, a very valuable trade chip if needed)

Reinbacher is big and mobile with a good shot that plays a coveted position.  A top 4 roll should be his sooner than later if he lands with the right team.

Moore's speed and shot is a deadly combo that can bring people out of their seats.  He'll have a great opportunity to raise his stock playing on a talented Minnesota team next year.

Benson has some nice hands and competes well.  He has enough smarts and versatility to be a solid contributor in the top 6.

Barlow's shot cant be ignored.  Mix that with a solid frame and a good work ethic and he could be a force.  That potential with a safe floor is hard to pass up.

Sandin-Pellikka brings a nice package of shooting, skating and stick handling that should make him a real offensive threat off the rush and PP.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, DrJockitch said:

I sincerely hope more happens than just making the 11th pick but am not interested in move back scenarios. 
What I expect is something crazy and shortsighted to happen. 

Sad but true.  It's the PTBD kicking in when you're waiting for terrible decisions to be made by the mismanagement of your team. Always the longterm beneficial good being sacrificed for short term gratification.  The short-sightedness, no vision approach where we're constantly knee jerk reacting rather than planning ahead.  

Edited by Pure961089
  • Cheers 1