The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2023 NHL Entry Draft

41 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

I really do believe that OEL provided 6 million in value two years ago. Last year he was deployed as the number 1 shutdown dman again while not being fully healthy and struggled a lot. 

The worst part of the whole OEL acquisition is the fit with Quinn. Neither guy is a defensive dman that can PK, they've just been asking OEL to do that due to our situation. If we asked Quinn to do the same he'd look much worst and be very frustrated too. 

D-Petey is the perfect type of a dman that we need more of. I would put money on Allvin using a 3rd and a 4th to move back into 2nd round, but I hope that we use up a lot of our top half picks on d-men. 

Jurmo, Johansson, and the rest of our d-men prospects are more offensive guys. Kirill Kudryatsev is looking like a young Tanev clone to me but lacks size. 

I cannot wait for the draft! 

If we're lucky, we draft a Center that can provide some secondary scoring in 1-2 years while they are on their ELC. It has happened before. A RHD would be great but they will take longer to develop.

2 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

We will see what the number comes in, could start will an 11. 

I’m fully expecting it to be up there. Which I am fine with. I have no problem with players like Petey getting paid. The guy is motor of the team. I will never see that as a cap issue. It’s when they start adding secondary players to big contracts or overpaying bottom 6 guys. Those are the cap issues imo

24 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Yeah but thats the whole point of those contracts is they are over paid in the first few years, they adequately paid in the middle, and under paid at the end of the contract while player is in their prime and team is ready to compete for a cup. If the cap rises these deals almost always turn out to be a steal for the team's front office. 

Boeser wouldn’t be a steal if he signed $7x8. It goes both ways 

1 minute ago, Kenny Powers said:

Just saw the Athletic rated Willander as the 2nd best skater in the draft behind Moore. A great skating defender with high hockey IQ…sounds a bit like Tanev. 

I’m sold. Let’s go! 

• Cheers 2

41 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Benson is not Shinkaruk. Benson plays a full 200ft & reads the game exceptionally, hes more than a flashy scorer he has star potential. Players Cristall & even Perreault are closer to Shinkaruk. 

You dont have to want Benson, but it's not a good comp.

Another lazy comp. No surprises there...

• Upvote 1

Just now, Kenny Powers said:

Same, haha. I scroll to #11 on every mock draft, and find I’m looking for his name now. 

I miss Tanev. Dude was always a + player even on the crappiest Canuck teams.

Every like20-30 games he would score an absolute beauty too. Always felt like it came out of no where  

• Cheers 2
  • elephant 1

1 hour ago, Bure_Pavel said:

The one thing this team has lacked for the the last 10 years patience. We could have waited one more year but decided to give up the 9th overall pick instead. They squandered Petey's bridge deal though, should have just signed him to 8 years off the bat, like every other team does with their young star players. 

100000% agree 

this year is best spent as a trial year, let’s see who adjusts well to tocchets system 

then once Myers money is gone, along with Beauvillier, Pearson etc. we deal from a position of strength 

• Like 1
  • elephant 1

7 minutes ago, Kenny Powers said:

Just saw the Athletic rated Willander as the 2nd best skater in the draft behind Moore. A great skating defender with high hockey IQ…sounds a bit like Tanev. 

Makes me think that Willander is their guy at #11 - unless Stevie swoops in and takes him at #9.  I heard before that Yzerman was at the U18 Sweden games to watch ASP, but maybe not. Maybe he was eying Willander. 

Willander (RD) certainly fills a need positionally, but to have him and Hughes as the future #1 pairing, both great skaters, both have high IQ. This could be very good for the Canucks long-term.

My guess, Danielson or Barlow are the secondary faves, if Willander is gone. 

• Cheers 2

45 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Yeah but thats the whole point of those contracts is they are over paid in the first few years, they adequately paid in the middle, and under paid at the end of the contract while player is in their prime and team is ready to compete for a cup. If the cap rises these deals almost always turn out to be a steal for the team's front office. 

Both sides have to be willing. It’s more than likely Petey didn’t want to sign that kind of deal you know

Just now, eeeeergh said:

100000% agree 

this year is best spent as a trial year, let’s see who adjusts well to tocchets system 

then once Myers money is gone, along with Beauvillier, Pearson etc. we deal from a position of strength 

We should not be moving players on 1 year deals for picks. Just hold on to them at least until trade deadline, who knows maybe we can even get picks back if they have a good year. Imagine if this team consistently got to use their 2nd round picks, instead of throwing them away for bottom six stop gaps.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • elephant 1

2 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

We should not be moving players on 1 year deals for picks. Just hold on to them at least until trade deadline, who knows maybe we can even get picks back if they have a good year. Imagine if this team consistently got to use their 2nd round picks, instead of throwing them away for bottom six stop gaps.  

Wed have a dman or two that’s for sure 

Just now, R3aL said:

Both sides have to be willing. It’s more than likely Petey didn’t want to sign that kind of deal you know

Tough to say, I think he would have, Canucks probably wanted to free up short term cap space to bring in OEL. He seems to like it here, I would imagine he becomes a lifer. 

8 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Makes me think that Willander is their guy at #11 - unless Stevie swoops in and takes him at #9.  I heard before that Yzerman was at the U18 Sweden games to watch ASP, but maybe not. Maybe he was eying Willander. 

Willander (RD) certainly fills a need positionally, but to have him and Hughes as the future #1 pairing, both great skaters, both have high IQ. This could be very good for the Canucks long-term.

My guess, Danielson or Barlow are the secondary faves, if Willander is gone. 

Yeah, hearing Yzerman likes him is both good and bad. Will be watching that 9th pick with interest. 

• Cheers 1

27 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Peteys not Boeser though, he is our number 1 center and 1 of 2 franchise players

Boeser led our team that year 20-21. He was our best offensive player that season. He would have gotten easily 7x8. Go take a look at Caufield's contract.

31 minutes ago, Kenny Powers said:

Which article is that? i only see one of the best skating defencemen in this class.