The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2023 NHL Entry Draft

10 minutes ago, HighOnHockey said:

Thank goodness someone gets it. I keep hearing about Aatu Raty and how he was "a strong consideration for first overall" and I can only roll my eyes. In reality there was only a small handful of people with very large platforms that propagated the Raty 1st overall talk, and fans just jumped on the bandwagon. I'm talking of course primarily about Craig Button, TSN's "head scout" who really had no idea but needed something to talk about. I distinctly recall a couple posters on HF who I held in high regard and who had followed Raty through his D-2 year said there was no chance he was going anywhere close to 1st and one specifically predicted that "people will be shocked how late he ends up going".

Of course, yes, players develop at different rates and sometimes there are late bloomers, but real NHL scouts have a pretty good idea who is who by pretty early in the draft year. The wild fluctuations in media rankings reflect more just information trickling down and becoming widespread, and not so much actual changes in the players. The more "in the know" you are, the less you're going to be surprised by late developments in the media rankings.

Someone mentioned McTavish as a recent example of a late riser that caught everyone by surprise. But @Isam for one was hyping McTavish pretty hard from very early in the year. This year he seems to have seen more of Reinbacher than any of us, and he's been the one urging caution around Reinbacher's ranking.

I can't remember who it was however someone was saying Reinbacher wasn't playing physical enough and that seemed to be in his nature.

The same poster mentioned Smash, Dmitri Simashev as the sort of player that plays a hard nosed game physical game.

That's the sort of D man we really need to compliment Hughes.

I know he is a lefty however could he swap sides ?

How many players can successfully do this HOH ?

• Cheers 2

27 minutes ago, HighOnHockey said:

Thank goodness someone gets it. I keep hearing about Aatu Raty and how he was "a strong consideration for first overall" and I can only roll my eyes. In reality there was only a small handful of people with very large platforms that propagated the Raty 1st overall talk, and fans just jumped on the bandwagon. I'm talking of course primarily about Craig Button, TSN's "head scout" who really had no idea but needed something to talk about. I distinctly recall a couple posters on HF who I held in high regard and who had followed Raty through his D-1 year said there was no chance he was going anywhere close to 1st and one specifically predicted that "people will be shocked how late he ends up going".

Of course, yes, players develop at different rates and sometimes there are late bloomers, but real NHL scouts have a pretty good idea who is who by pretty early in the draft year. The wild fluctuations in media rankings reflect more just information trickling down and becoming widespread, and not so much actual changes in the players. The more "in the know" you are, the less you're going to be surprised by late developments in the media rankings.

Someone mentioned McTavish as a recent example of a late riser that caught everyone by surprise. But @Isam for one was hyping McTavish pretty hard from very early in the year. This year he seems to have seen more of Reinbacher than any of us, and he's been the one urging caution around Reinbacher's ranking.

That was fun with McTavish cuz we had a cool debate on playmaking

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

I can't remember who it was however someone was saying Reinbacher wasn't playing physical enough and that seemed to be in his nature.

The same poster mentioned Smash, Dmitri Simashev as the sort of player that plays a hard nosed game physical game.

Lol I posted this same article last year, https://thesportjournal.org/article/utilizing-the-defensemans-off-hand-a-discussion-of-theory-and-an-empirical-review/

But it's not so much talking about a D just up and switching positions, it would more be a player being trained from a young age to play his off hand. Interestingly enough, Seamus Casey was kind of an experiment by USA Hockey of this, but he's a right shot who would always play on the left side.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 3

4 minutes ago, HighOnHockey said:

Lol I posted this same article last year, https://thesportjournal.org/article/utilizing-the-defensemans-off-hand-a-discussion-of-theory-and-an-empirical-review/

But it's not so much talking about a D just up and switching positions, it would more be a player being trained from a young age to play his off hand. Interestingly enough, Seamus Casey was kind of an experiment by USA Hockey of this, but he's a right shot who would always play on the left side.

Si, alot of studies are interesting on that subject.

13 minutes ago, HighOnHockey said:

That article was brilliant brother.

Anyone who is interested in the mechanics of hockey should read it.

37 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

Depends on how you track the puck. Trevor Daley was seriously good playing on his offhand. Orr and dallas smith had to deal with it

• Thanks 1

@HighOnHockey @Ilunga @Isam

Guys, I yield to your knowledge, as I have been just getting into being able to figure rough rankings, but, the one thing that is re-occuring over this time is that Septembers rankings don't hold up at all, December ranking are only a very rough guide, and late May rankings, although the closest, are always different than the actual draft.

IMO, after the elite top 3 or 4, the picks start jumping around within the remaining top 10 to 12, then it becomes looser and looser, and looser, as you go down the first and second rounds.......example...Lekkerimakki, who was projected to go around #7..........and where did we get him? 15th?

The point being, everyone lists are different, consensus is only a rough one. I mean look at last years consensus #1 pick, who fell to 4th...........so much for that!

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

Guys, I yield to your knowledge, as I have been just getting into being able to figure rough rankings, but, the one thing that is re-occuring over this time is that Septembers rankings don't hold up at all, December ranking are only a very rough guide, and late May rankings, although the closest, are always different than the actual draft.

IMO, after the elite top 3 or 4, the picks start jumping around within the remaining top 10 to 12, then it becomes looser and looser, and looser, as you go down the first and second rounds.......example...Lekkerimakki, who was projected to go around #7..........and where did we get him? 15th?

The point being, everyone lists are different, consensus is only a rough one. I mean look at last years consensus #1 pick, who fell to 4th...........so much for that!

There is a general concensus, best list is Bob's when it comes to that. Us hooligans are generally pretty close, but there is always one or two teams that like to make it interesting

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, HighOnHockey said:

Thank goodness someone gets it. I keep hearing about Aatu Raty and how he was "a strong consideration for first overall" and I can only roll my eyes. In reality there was only a small handful of people with very large platforms that propagated the Raty 1st overall talk, and fans just jumped on the bandwagon. I'm talking of course primarily about Craig Button, TSN's "head scout" who really had no idea but needed something to talk about. I distinctly recall a couple posters on HF who I held in high regard and who had followed Raty through his D-2 year said there was no chance he was going anywhere close to 1st and one specifically predicted that "people will be shocked how late he ends up going".

By that same token it's not like we can just step out to the RHD store. If we never reach for one we will never get one. Couldn't even trade Bo or Miller for one. We have been trying to add one for a decade plus now. If he won't be there at 14 Take him earlier. They took the  flashy winger last year instead of the 2 hulking D how's that working out? End of the day I'd rather live with knowing we took our shots on the guys we can't get any other way. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

50 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

It was I. I still prefer Simashev and think he will be the best D in the draft. Highest floor vs higher ceiling with a right shot though. My eyes tell me Simashev is better. But how many more years are we gonna wait to get a RHD in the system?

• Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, hammertime said:

By that same token it's not like we can just step out to the RHD store. If we never reach for one we will never get one. Couldn't even trade Bo or Miller for one. We have been trying to add one for a decade plus now. If he won't be there at 14 Take him earlier. They took the  flashy winger last year instead of the 2 hulking D how's that working out? End of the day I'd rather live with knowing we took our shots on the guys we can't get any other way. 

Or we do a repeat of 2016.

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

Most of these kids have been skating since they could walk, playing hockey as soon as possible and the dedicated ones train their asses off and practice their skills. 

Not a real lot is going to change in that last year leading into the draft. 

After the draft it is not up to the kids and their parents or junior coaches to drive their development, but the teams at the highest level.

These teams have a lot more resources to develop these kids. 

Please don't get me wrong, as I have stated before I am no expert on talent evaluation in regards to hockey.

After coaching kids and adults in skiing and MTB I do know what to look for in an athlete. 

The athletes that inspired me the most was when I was coaching our handicapped skier's.

One of them, Mick Norton went on to win 2 Olympic gold medals.

• Cheers 1

Just now, hammertime said:

It was I. I still prefer Simashev and think he will be the best D in the draft. Highest floor vs higher ceiling with a right shot though. My eyes tell me Simashev is better. But how many more years are we gonna wait to get a RHD in the system?

I would go with you on that. As for rhd, livingstone will help plus I like the 2024 class better. I like your bonk idea for our rhd. The more I watch, the more I like

• Thanks 2

Just now, hammertime said:

Wouldn't that be as much of a reach as reinbacher though? 

I think we can get reinbacher with our second first. I tend not to trust pronman or cosentino cuz they do a flavour of the month ranking.  Unless he moves higher on Bob's ranking, we don't use our top 6.

• Thanks 1
  • There it is 1