The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Keeping Horvat /Ottawa-Vancouver (proposal)

Ok, there are certainly kinks in my proprosal....so I am open to tweaks!

#1. Vancouver Trades (TDL)

Garland and Myers 

for

Zub and Giroux

Ottawa does this to gain time in having Myers for an extra year as their players develop, plus Giroux is 8 years older than Garland

Vancouver does this to acquire Zub while gaining cap, and signs Zub to a 6 year X $6,000,000 contract. Zub is a defensive Dman and along with Bear, gives us time to develop other drafted RHD

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#2. Vancouver signs Bo Horvat to a 8 year X 7,500,000

Bo is awesome, but signs at a discount, and the fact that Nick Suzuki just signed a 8 year X 7,875,000. Suzuki is younger with a higher ceiling. IMO this is manageable.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

#3 Vancouver Trades (summer)

Brock Boeser and Jack Rathbone

for

2024 1st and 2023 2nd........Pittsburg???? Boston?????

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

#4 Pearson

for

Washington's 2024 3rd ????

2023-2024 Roster                           Cap: 83,500,000             Team Cap: 80,665,000             Free Cap:2,825,000 

Kuzmenko  (5.500,000 X3)      Pettersson             Mikheyev                     Hughes                              Zub  (6,000,000 X 7)                Demko

Miller                                         Horvat                   Giroux                          OEL                                    Bear (4,000,000 X 5)                Martin

Hoglander  (1,000,000 X3)       Karlsson                Podkolzin                    Burroughs (1,000,000)     Schenn (850,000 X 3)

Joshua                                      Aman                     Lazar                            Stillman

Dries

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

Ahhh, a HFB poster! Well why don't you tell me exactly what is wrong with them, grasshopper!

Giroux signed as a free agent in Ottawa because that’s where he wants to play. (Close to home). He has a full NMC. I very much doubt he’d waive it to come yo Vancouver after a month and a half. Also. What’s the motivation for Ottawa here? 

Edited by qwijibo

Maybe, maybe not........

Giroux has not won for a long time, and Ottawa does not seem to have it figured out............regardless, the point remains there are ways to get it done

maybe it is not Giroux maybe someone else..........maybe it is a trade to another team in much the same time line.............Point is a little math makes it work.

I do appreciate your Giroux point, though. But for anyone to say, yeah it absolutely will not happen, means they are very rich and own a crystal ball.

• Vintage 1

21 minutes ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

Ahhh, a HFB poster! Well why don't you tell me exactly what is wrong with them, grasshopper!

I don’t know what that means, so swing and a miss.

Sometimes, something so terribly bad doesn’t require an explanation. I can tell you did absolutely no research in any of this, but I’ll give you some guidance and direction on why your proposals have no shot. 

You will first want to research Claude Giroux’s contract and clauses in it. You will then want to research comparable contracts given to pending UFAs of similar age, who put up similar production to what Horvat is doing now, not cherry pick 1 player from the Montreal Canadians and give your own subjective analysis on that player. Agents usually like to deal with stats, not opinions when negotiating. Finally, you might want to look at the cap situations of the Bruins and Penguins, including their FAs and see if they can A: even fit Boeser in their long term plans, and B: even want him. I’ll give you a freebie as well, nobody is paying an asset for Rathbone when he’s closer to waivers than he is being an NHLer.

Hope this helps…from whatever the hell a HFB is.

8 minutes ago, Blue Jay 22 said:

I don’t know what that means, so swing and a miss.

Sometimes, something so terribly bad doesn’t require an explanation. I can tell you did absolutely no research in any of this, but I’ll give you some guidance and direction on why your proposals have no shot. 

You will first want to research Claude Giroux’s contract and clauses in it. You will then want to research comparable contracts given to pending UFAs of similar age, who put up similar production to what Horvat is doing now, not cherry pick 1 player from the Montreal Canadians and give your own subjective analysis on that player. Agents usually like to deal with stats, not opinions when negotiating. Finally, you might want to look at the cap situations of the Bruins and Penguins, including their FAs and see if they can A: even fit Boeser in their long term plans, and B: even want him. I’ll give you a freebie as well, nobody is paying an asset for Rathbone when he’s closer to waivers than he is being an NHLer.

Hope this helps…from whatever the hell a HFB is.

Well first off..........

I did say there were kinks............second of all, you offer no conversation, just righteous opinion. Have you ever heard of a NTC waved? Have you ever heard a team changing their mind and basically telling the player it was a mistake? You have absolutely no idea, if any of those things could happen..........none!

Secondly, have you ever heard of home town discounts, or that his is the start of a career year, or that recent contracts are also considered? You make opinion to discredit me, but in fact, your opinions are no better than mine.

The next thing, is that this is for fun, it is not a school exam, or a job interview. and neither of us are GM's, and to be blunt, have you ever seen a proposal that actually happened? Maybe like once in a blue moon. But again, this is for fun.

Never mind the qualifier, which made the point it wasn't perfect. You can not just stand at the top of the hill and proclaim yourself king........sorry buddy, but it doesn't work like that.

For everything you have said, I can actually show you hockey history that in fact has happened..........yet you yell out it can't..........

Relax budds have some fun! Private message me when you have a hockey job.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

Well first off..........

I did say there were kinks............second of all, you offer no conversation, just righteous opinion. Have you ever heard of a NTC waved? Have you ever heard a team changing their mind and basically telling the player it was a mistake? You have absolutely no idea, if any of those things could happen..........none!

Secondly, have you ever heard of home town discounts, or that his is the start of a career year, or that recent contracts are also considered? You make opinion to discredit me, but in fact, your opinions are no better than mine.

The next thing, is that this is for fun, it is not a school exam, or a job interview. and neither of us are GM's, and to be blunt, have you ever seen a proposal that actually happened? Maybe like once in a blue moon. But again, this is for fun.

Never mind the qualifier, which made the point it wasn't perfect. You can not just stand at the top of the hill and proclaim yourself king........sorry buddy, but it doesn't work like that.

For everything you have said, I can actually show you hockey history that in fact has happened..........yet you yell out it can't..........

Relax budds have some fun! Private message me when you have a hockey job.

Kinks are for the bedroom. This is more of a towering inferno, except without the actors and actresses.

You wrote a lot underneath that, but I’m not gonna read it. Im sure you come from a good place and have a good heart. Your proposals have 0 chance of happening, but im sure some appreciate them for a good read or giggle like myself. I’ve seen far worse admittedly, including from yourself before. At the end of the day, keeping reaching for the stars and don’t stop being you.

And no, I will not PM you…ever.

• Haha 1

There is quite literally less than a zero percent chance Giroux, who himself specifically wanted to play in Ottawa, would waive his NMC to come play in Vancouver of all places especially after not even two months into his contract, and there’s even less of a chance they’d include Zub in that same trade where in all fairness, is favoured lopsidedly in our favour. 

Edited by Pears
  • Vintage 1

I think the cap will get a bit tricky in a lot of those trades. Doubt we'll be able to shift Garland and Myers to the same team, even Ottawa, but I like the idea of trading Brock, Garland and Myers to free up cap to save Bo and Kuzmenko and ideally sign a UFA 3rd line center to balance this team out a bit better.

I think we might have to target a team with cap space and approach them with Myers, likely taking around 3-4M back. Myers for Zub straight up could work cap-wise but we'd have to give a pick, most likely a 2nd or 3rd rounder. They're not playing Zub much though and I doubt he's much of an improvement on Bear, he may be very similar to Myers but is much cheaper and younger. Myers + 3rd for Zub should do the job.

Then what do we do with Garland? A bottom pairing LD would be nice if Rathbone isn't ready. Columbus could use scoring but need defencemen so can't do a 1-for-1 swap, but I wonder if we trade them Garland + Rathbone + Burroughs for Peeke + Kuraly. They get some scoring up front, 2 defencemen, should just about fit cap-wise. We get a guy who will play top-4 RD minutes and a big strong 3C. If they want more we throw in a pick.

We probably still need to shift a big contract like Brock's sadly and not take much else on, and this will be the hardest part. Another team will have to move cap but I'm sure anyone will take him for a 1st round pick - he's scoring at a point per game pace on the 3rd line, he may really explode on a decent desperate team like Washington or Pittsburgh but it's on them to move cap around first, but I'm sure a team like Pittsburgh will (who have coveted Brock for years). 

Ideally we'd flip Pearson for a pick to a contending team who wants a playoff veteran presence but this might be harder than it sounds considering how bad/injured he's been, and at over 3M in cap so we might have to just eat his contract.

Then we'll have enough cap space to keep Bo and Kuzmenko and re-sign guys like Schenn easily. We get younger, more defencemen, a solid 3C and a decent 1st round pick from Brock:

Mikheyev - Pettersson - Kuzmenko

Miller - Horvat - Podkolzin

Hoglander - Kuraly - Pearson

Joshua - Lazar - Lockwood

Dries

Aman

Studnicka

Hughes - Zub

OEL - Peeke

Schenn - Bear

We lose some good wingers, our 3rd line is a lot more "grindy" than it is now, but we gain some decent defencemen in Zub and Peeke (not great but decent) and most importantly are able to re-sign Bo and Kuz.