The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at San Jose Sharks | Nov. 27, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

11 hours ago, Harold Drunken said:

Boy, the " JR and PA have done nothing to improve this team" crowd has been awfully quiet this week. 

Kuzmenko, Bear, Mikheyev, Lazar, Aman, Joshua have all contributed and been key players the last 3 games. Safe to say the above narrative, was and is a willfully ignorant take on things. 

The team not playing well was never a "who they added or didn't add" problem. It was bigger and more complicated than that, most knew that, likely a mix of different factors. The roster has talent, always did. Does the blue line still need some work? Absolutely it does, but people have to understand you don't overhaul a blueline all in one off season, especially with cap constraints, multiple dmen already being aid big money and good defenseman at an absolute premium.  Something wasn't right, and understandably some people always need someone to blame. But IMO blaming JR and PA was a lazy avenue to take. Once this team starts playing well like they have will these same people give JR and PA any credit? Guess we'll see......

With Burroughs playing well, Bear getting more comfortable the blueline doesn't look nearly as bad as it did....but it's far from great we know that. I thought that was one of OEL's best games this year too - eye test wise. 

I still maintain we should trade Miller.  He is a hugely polarizing figure, when things are good, hes great, but when things arent going right, he seems to compound the issue.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Knucklehd said:

I still maintain we should trade Miller.  He is a hugely polarizing figure, when things are good, hes great, but when things arent going right, he seems to compound the issue.

Yes, we should trade Miller and for futures, like offered at the 2022 TDL.  But our owner won’t allow that kind of rebuilding move, so what are management to do?  Do they stand up to the owner and get fired like Nonis, Gillis, Linden?  Or do they follow his directives (no rebuilding trades of key core guys) and hang on to their Cush NHL jobs for 8 years like Benning did?

At age 25 Phil Kessel  had 374 games played and 245 points.

At age 25 Boeser has 340 games played and 270 points.

Boeser has career .79 pts per game.  Kessel career has .78 pts per game.

Point is after 25 Kessel went on to have several years scoring a point per game or better and wound up getting traded to Toronto for the 2nd and 9th overall first round draft picks.

Don't give up on Boeser yet folks.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, fanfor42 said:

Point is after 25 Kessel went on to have several years scoring a point per game or better and wound up getting traded to Toronto for the 2nd and 9th overall first round draft picks.

Kessel was way more prolific at that age than Boeser ever was. Also two different players, not that comparable other than they're "snipers." In which, the latter is more of a slow playmaking winger at this stage. I hope he thrives elsewhere because we cannot afford to keep him. 

29 minutes ago, stawns said:

Myers might be somewhat attractive on his expiring contract year as opposed to this tdl.  For better or worse, the Canucks are probably best letting his contract roll over to next season and try to move him.

Same with Pearson, why waste a prospect just to get rid of him? That makes no sense

The issue is that we're up against the cap and we have UFAs to sign. The cap is going up 4M (estimated) and that's not enough for Miller's bump, Horvat's raise, and Kuzmenko's new contract. We also need cap to improve our right side on defense. 

2 minutes ago, saucypass said:

Kessel was way more prolific at that age than Boeser ever was. Also two different players, not that comparable other than they're "snipers." In which, the latter is more of a slow playmaking winger at this stage. I hope he thrives elsewhere because we cannot afford to keep him. 

What are you talking about?

At 25 their numbers were very comparable and Boeser had slightly better numbers.  Boeser may turn out to be like Kessel the next few years and be a point per game player or better - that is the point. You don't make any sense at all partner.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, fanfor42 said:

At 25 their numbers were very comparable and Boeser had slightly better numbers.  Boeser may turn out to be like Kessel the next few years and be a point per game player or better - that is the point. You don't make any sense at all partner.

Yup.  Boeser is a keeper.  It’s Garland we need to do a full dumperoo of.  

That's just from stat-watching. Those numbers back in Kessel's day is very different from years following. Jamie Benn won one MVP one year with around 84 points. Kessel was fast with a good shot. Boeser never had any speed and is injury prone while Kessel is literally the ironman champion of the entire league. 

The sense has been made, let me know if you have received it. 

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Yup.  Boeser is a keeper.  It’s Garland we need to do a full dumperoo of.  

Garland has a lower caphit, and draws penalties on 5v5. I love Boeser as a player and he seems like a great person but I don't think it makes sense to keep Boeser over Garland. 

9 minutes ago, fanfor42 said:

5 minutes ago, saucypass said:

That's just from stat-watching. Those numbers back in Kessel's day is very different from years following. Jamie Benn won one MVP one year with around 84 points. Kessel was fast with a good shot. Boeser never had any speed and is injury prone while Kessel is literally the ironman champion of the entire league. 

The sense has been made, let me know if you have received it. 

In case you had forgotten ^ 

uh nope.

Boeser might get points, but that's the only way he moves the needle in a game.  Garland drives the play and makes his linemates better.  The top 6 is full and I'd rather have Garland than Boeser on the 3rd line

• Cheers 2

Just now, stawns said:

Boeser might get points, but that's the only way he moves the needle in a game.  Garland drives the play and makes his linemates better.  The top 6 is full and I'd rather have Garland than Boeser on the 3rd line

No he doesn’t.  Garland is a 

Smurferoo.  We should trade him for the cap space.  He’s not even close to Boeser as a player.  

13 minutes ago, saucypass said:

Garland has a lower caphit, and draws penalties on 5v5. I love Boeser as a player and he seems like a great person but I don't think it makes sense to keep Boeser over Garland. 

honestly both seem pretty interchangeable. both add different dynamics but not outstanding or anything.

garland has his qualities. Despite his size he plays in the dirty areas, adds that pest quality for the team to get under oppositions skin sometimes.

boeser stats wise is almost ppg but skates like he has cement blocks tied to his legs. he's like a slower patrick sharp. 

would much rather give up either for a defensive prospect/pick and clear a bit of cap. 

Edited by PetterssonOrPeterson
  • There it is 1

37 minutes ago, fanfor42 said:

hmm similar stats wise for sure, but why are we comparing boeser to kessel specifically?

because they're both RW?

i feel like kessel, at least when he was younger, was a more fluid skater than boeser and is perhaps why his play when you watch it on the ice, was a little more dynamic than boeser's. 

I know there's all those fat jokes about him but Kessel could move on the ice.

He even won the fastest skating competition before in the all star skills comp too (although I don't know how much stock you can put into that).

and as we all know, the big complaint on boeser is his skating..

definitely an interesting comparison but i think they have different qualities as players (like their movement) and ultimately it could be those small intangibles that draw out how their careers will end up. 

Edited by PetterssonOrPeterson

Just now, PetterssonOrPeterson said:

hmm similar stats wise for sure, but why are we comparing boeser to kessel specifically?

because they're both RW?

i feel like kessel, at least when he was younger, was a more fluid skater than boeser and is perhaps why his play when you watch it on the ice, was a little more dynamic than boeser's. Kessel won the fastest skating competition before in the all star skills comp too (although I don't know how much stock you can put into that).

and as we all know, the big complaint on boeser is his skating..

definitely an interesting comparison but i think they have different qualities as players (like their movement) and ultimately it could be those small intangibles that draw out how their careers will end up. 

The comparison is that both players were maligned at times in their careers but at age 25 were very similar stats wise.  Kessel then took off after age 25 for several years..

The point is that Boeser could very easily have several big years coming up just like Kessel did between 25 and 30.  People need to remember that Kessel used to be hacked on like Boeser and he then became a very good player who went on to win cups.

• Like 1

Just now, fanfor42 said:

The comparison is that both players were maligned at times in their careers but at age 25 were very similar stats wise.  Kessel then took off after age 25 for several years..

The point is that Boeser could very easily have several big years coming up just like Kessel did between 25 and 30.  People need to remember that Kessel used to be hacked on like Boeser and he then became a very good player who went on to win cups.

that's true. 

you never know what can happen and he certainly showed he has the ability in his rookie season.

all the better if he does improve as a player and it's good to stay positive.

i just hope his skating improves a little more.