The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Pittsburgh Penguins | Jan. 10, 2023

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Just checked our schedule for the next two months for some comfort.

This will take care of itself. There’s only like 3 or 4 teams I can see us beating. Chicago, Columbus, Philly, and Detroit. And even then I’m not confident we can beat any of them right now.

Our last month has tons of games against fellow tankers though. That will be the true test whether or not we’re contenders or pretenders. No going on 5 game meaningless win streaks for moral victories. They need to ensure we’re icing the best (worst) roster possible. 

If Bo and Schenn get traded, there won’t be any of those win streaks. 

28 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

Uhh true for pre OEL trade. 

After that the whole narrative is out the window. 

Why?  He's a top 3 damn who can play big mins, play in all situations and has good leadership skills.  They'd have to pay for that one way or another, and the price the paid was well worth it.  His contract certainly hadn't complicated anything.......not until this group made it complicated 

Edited by stawns
  • Cheers 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Just checked our schedule for the next two months for some comfort.

This will take care of itself. There’s only like 3 or 4 teams I can see us beating. Chicago, Columbus, Philly, and Detroit. And even then I’m not confident we can beat any of them right now.

Our last month has tons of games against fellow tankers though. That will be the true test whether or not we’re contenders or pretenders. No going on 5 game meaningless win streaks for moral victories. They need to ensure we’re icing the best (worst) roster possible. 

Horvat gone by then, unless Demko stands on his head, we should be right there in mix of it. 

I fully expect tank commander stillman to suit up 30 mins a night to bring it home for us. In our hour of need, he will answer the call. 

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

JB’s biggest failure was when he chose to get rid of 3 terrible players off our roster that had only 1 year left.

Garland looks ineffective most nights. Sorry but size does matter. JB signed him for another 5 years.

OEL has got to be one of the worst defenders out there and we are stuck with him for like another decade. He may not have signed him but he inherited the forever contract. 

To top it off, that pick ended up being a good prospect. 

Again, where else were they going to get a top 3 day, especially at $7m.  He's earned his keep

1 minute ago, stawns said:

Why?  He's a top 3 damn who can play big mins, play in all situations and has good leadership skills.  They'd have to pay for that one way or another, and the price the paid was well worth it.  His contract certainly hadn't complicated anything.

Sorry. Not sure if I understand. Are you saying OEL is still a top 3 defender? 

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

I've been watching for 52 years and this is the 1st year I pause and fast forward so I don't have to watch the whole s#*t show. Mind you, it's only been a few years that we've had the capacity to pause/record. How did I handle all those other years of crap hockey? 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Taphouse Canuck said:

Yep. The Yotes are on a 6 game losing streak, so they are tanking hard. We need to match their effort

Yep but at least they play the Ducks and the Blackhawks three times each in the last couple months.

They also seem to hang around in games pretty good. Hopefully they can fluke out a few.

9 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

1st rounder and 12.5m of cap for OEL + Garland cooked us pretty bad (I know we disagree on OELs value. I’m not an OEL hater, I just don’t think he’s playing to a 7.2m contract, nor garland to a 5m). 

Not really, you're paying dman that much, minimum, to do what OEL does, but they likely wouldn't have got one any other way 

1 minute ago, eeeeergh said:

Horvat gone by then, unless Demko stands on his head, we should be right there in mix of it. 

I fully expect tank commander stillman to suit up 30 mins a night to bring it home for us. In our hour of need, he will answer the call. 

They should just leave Demko on IR until the season is over and make sure he is 100%

With our goaltending tandem of Martin and Delia we should have no problem losing

Just now, KFan said:

I've been watching for 52 years and this is the 1st year I pause and fast forward so I don't have to watch the whole s#*t show. Mind you, it's only been a few years that we've had the capacity to pause/record. How did I handle all those other years of crap hockey? 

Once they lost the 3 goal lead I was watching on fast forward rest of the way. I can’t watch live anymore. Also avoids all the commercials and intermission.

1 minute ago, stawns said:

Again, where else were they going to get a top 3 day, especially at $7m.  He's earned his keep

Hampus Lindholm was a UFA, is better, and costs less. 

OEL was at one time an incredible two way defender and was absolutely worth his pay but the OEL that skater coast to coast and put in 20 goals is gone. 

He can play a shutdown role like last year and so it well, but not contribute offence.

Or he can be a transitional defenseman that pinches aggressively and gets burned (part of this is the fault of having a bad partner). 

Either way, better defenseman are getting paid less. I’m not trying to be too harsh either, he’s probably comparable to other 2nd pairing guys making 4-5m. It’s not only the slight overpayment, it’s also that we lost the 1st rounder. 

1 minute ago, grandmaster said:

Sorry. Not sure if I understand. Are you saying OEL is still a top 3 defender? 

Yup, playing with little to defensive system and with a group of fwds who desperately need one.  The dcorp takes a lot of unwarranted flak for things that are not their fault, but end up looking like the bad guys 

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, stawns said:

Why?  He's a top 3 damn who can play big mins, play in all situations and has good leadership skills.  They'd have to pay for that one way or another, and the price the paid was well worth it.  His contract certainly hadn't complicated anything.......not until this group made it complicated 

We talking about the same OEL here?

Just now, eeeeergh said:

Hampus Lindholm was a UFA, is better, and costs less. 

OEL was at one time an incredible two way defender and was absolutely worth his pay but the OEL that skater coast to coast and put in 20 goals is gone. 

He can play a shutdown role like last year and so it well, but not contribute offence.

Or he can be a transitional defenseman that pinches aggressively and gets burned (part of this is the fault of having a bad partner). 

Either way, better defenseman are getting paid less. I’m not trying to be too harsh either, he’s probably comparable to other 2nd pairing guys making 4-5m. It’s not only the slight overpayment, it’s also that we lost the 1st rounder. 

Hampus Lindholm would not be playing at OEL's level if he were in Van.  Schenn and OEL are the two holding that dcorp together

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, AlexBurrows14Yu said:

We are not getting Bedard whether we are last. Do you want losing culture? This is why we suck . We have a losing culture so players don’t get upset when we lose. Except Miller but ppl get mad at him for being the only one who shows emotion 

Lol we have a losing culture cause we don’t have a good team. You get good players by drafting high.

Its not a hard concept people. Even the worst GMs understand this…

• There it is 1

Just now, DeNiro said:

Lol we have a losing culture cause we don’t have a good team. You get good players by drafting high.

Its not a hard concept people. Even the worst GMs understand this…

There's plenty of talent on this team

• Cheers 2

Just now, stawns said:

Hampus Lindholm would not be playing at OEL's level if he were in Van.  Schenn and OEL are the two holding that dcorp together

I do agree with you that our roster makes our guys look worse, and they probably look much better on teams with more complete rosters and proper systems. 

history has kinda proven that recently- Edler, Schmidt, Tanev, hell even Dickinson all looked better on other teams.