The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Trade Retention is cheaper than buyouts (Discussion)

Keep and hopefully raise value: Miller, OEL (unlikely his value goes up, aka we're in a pickle with him)

Trade next TDL: Myers, Pearson (if healthy) => retain salary to move them
Trade, either with retention or for pennies on the dollar: Boeser/ Garland (I'd rather get fleeced in a trade but free up cap space and be able to improve the team by repurposing that cap, while getting a draft pick than treat them as a pure cap dump; retention would be second best in my opinion, ahead of either cap dump for future considerations or buyouts which prolong the time which we hold the dead cap) 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Good post my friend. I find it utterly ridiculous there are buyout talks. Doesn’t make any sense to me what so ever. All it does is compound the issue. 

Management can grow a set and make some trades. There are players on this team other teams will take a chance on. And you watch them play pretty good for that team

Edited by Devron
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

Keep and hopefully raise value: Miller, OEL (unlikely his value goes up, aka we're in a pickle with him)

Trade next TDL: Myers, Pearson (if healthy) => retain salary to move them
Trade, either with retention or for pennies on the dollar: Boeser/ Garland (I'd rather get fleeced in a trade but free up cap space and be able to improve the team by repurposing that cap, while getting a draft pick than treat them as a pure cap dump; retention would be second best in my opinion, ahead of either cap dump for future considerations or buyouts which prolong the time which we hold the dead cap) 

Good use of ‘in a pickle’… I foresee a new JR pickle emoji 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

Just saying, but Boeser is in line for a 20 goal - 60 pts season.........that is still marketable at the right price

Post injuries. Post being slow. All of it. How people forget. Multiple good seasons.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I'm a Canucks fan. I might waive if they hire Tocchet. 

JR sounded pretty cagey when they tried to pin him down about his plans for coaching.  I think he's just talking to some coaches who may be available rather than making actual plans.  A lot of intel can be gained from such interviews. I also wonder about his comments with respect to tanking and whether he was actually joking.  He may very well ride Boudreau until the end of the season.  After that, who knows?  I still think that Colliton is a possibility.  When is the question.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Devron said:

Good post my friend. I find it utterly ridiculous there are buyout talks. Doesn’t make any sense to me what so ever. All it does is compound the issue. 

Management can grow a set and make some trades. There are players on this team other teams will take a chance on. And you watch them play pretty good for that team

Buyouts are a last resort imo.  JR is disappointed in himself for not being able to open up some cap.  He doesn't sound like he's going to let that happen again.

Drance used to say, it's ok to lose a trade sometimes if you gain a lot of cap space.  I take it, that's what you mean.

The 2 types of assets that are worth the most are RHD and Centres.  If you need a RHD, pony up a centre (Horvat).  They must be trying for that ahead of a 1st round pick.  

Edited by Crabcakes

Thanks Janis, this is exactly the drum i've been beating.   It's only a 1-2 year thing if we do Myers, Pearson and Brock ... and this year we could retain on Horvat to get a better return, next year Pearson...

Brock at 3.3 is a gift.   Myers at 3 is more than palatable, and Pearson at 1.6 is also a gift if healthy and playing to his norm since coming here.     Garland stretches it out further ... and well feel Brock would get us a better return and then Garland gets better minutes.    So start with Brock.   And Myers.   And the returns should help in other areas (prospect pool, trade capital) and this sheds cap naturally.   OEL and Miller are anchors or going to be them.    They both fill a role, it's not like they aren't NHL players, and most teams including contenders have one or two.    Worry about them down the road.  

Accept a couple down years.   This one and the following one  - and start putting the puzzle back together.   Who knows, MIN's got massive cap issues but still ice a decent team - we could too.   And if we keep it to 1-2 years a lot of our cap issues sort out quickly.  

I agree with this. 

If we retain 3 million on Myers - we likely get a 3rd rounder for him. Buyout is useless. Or trade him for Patrick Nemeth - Myers makes 1 million in cash and Nemeth makes 3.5 (2.5 cap hit). Also means we send him or Stillman down which saves us net 4.7 million in cap. Even if we move a late pick back to Arizona, they can also likely move Myers for more at the deadline for Nemeth so they save a considerable amount of cash, get a better player, and some picks. No brainer???

Retain 1.9 million on Garland or 3 million on Boeser and we probably get a 2nd. 

I think Mikheyev is tradable but is a good fit given his PK abilities. 

Buyouts are so stupid. I really hope we don't go that route.