The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

‘A new page for everyone’: Beauvillier, Raty ready to embrace fresh start with Canucks

Rate this topic

The Arrogant Worms

21 hours ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

He was at a spa. Serenity now.

Just for clarity, he isn't a spoiled millionaire yet, lol. Sauna is the national past time of Finland, like Baseball is to america. Being at a Spa likely means he was in the sauna without his phone while his wife was getting her nails done. In case anyone was wondering if he is softer than three ply.

4 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Yeh I think that'll happen too, massive drop off.

We go from having a 70pt Miller, 50-60 goal pace Bo and 60pt Boeser at the start of this year to...

10-15 goal Beauvillier, 15 goal scorer Garland and Miller next year.

2nd line practically halves it's production.

Because hockey is perfectly predictable by a linear regression model?

Hockey is a complicated team sport where a right line combination can result in  a synergy yielding  a totally unexpected outcome. The opposite is also true. You put good players together and suddenly they all suck. 

It’s possible that Beauvillier helps to make that line stronger with his puck retrieval and Miller score 80+points and Garland and Beauvillier score  20 goals. 

50 minutes ago, Primal Optimist said:

Just for clarity, he isn't a spoiled millionaire yet, lol. Sauna is the national past time of Finland, like Baseball is to america. Being at a Spa likely means he was in the sauna without his phone while his wife was getting her nails done. In case anyone was wondering if he is softer than three ply.

I never said he was :)

1 hour ago, Primal Optimist said:

Followed by a bath in around four degrees Celsius.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

I never said he was :)

OH i know, i was speaking to the masses who might try to make implications out of it.

I am incredibly excited about Aatu coming to Vancouver. He is still in development, but I feel his ceiling is as high as Petey's, but his timeline may be longer and together, just wow. I was a Huge Fan of Aatu Raty already, for some years now, and stoked I will get to see him at Canucks games in our sweater. For me, this is as exciting as getting Pavel back in the day.

Edited by Primal Optimist
  • Like 1

On 1/31/2023 at 7:34 PM, jyu said:

Kesler for Bonino, Sbisa, and 24th overall pick.

Horvat with 25% retention for Beauvillier, Raty, and 1st rounder likely around 15th overall.

- Kesler is a 5-time Selke finalist and 1-time winner and just generally much better player than Horvat in almost all facets of the game except faceoffs, where Kesler and Bo are about on par.

- Horvat is a pending UFA while Kesler was under contract.

Fact 1: Benning did well given that Kesler wanted out and that he had a full NTC.

Fact 2: Return for Kesler was not better than the return for Horvat.

If a 5-time Selke nominee gets you a 3C, 6th dman, and a 24th overall pick, I'd call that downright underwhelming. The only reason why Benning gets a pass from me on that trade is because of Kesler's NTC.

Kes went on to be one of the worst signing in the NHL. I'd say that was a better trade. Bo may get overpaid but his extension will never be as bad as Kes's. JB got a haul for a player who's best hockey was well in the rear view. Bo has good years in front of him.

3 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Kes went on to be one of the worst signing in the NHL. I'd say that was a better trade. Bo may get overpaid but his extension will never be as bad as Kes's. JB got a haul for a player who's best hockey was well in the rear view. Bo has good years in front of him.

you have to also consider the ages and career stages of the two dudes. 

edit: i had to go look it up but Kesler was around 3 years older than Bo at the time of their respective trades.

Edited by Primal Optimist

15 minutes ago, hammertime said:

You can't evaluate trade based on the contract signed afterwards... For all we know, Bo might sign 9 mil x 8 years and pull a Loui on NYI.

4 minutes ago, hammertime said:

We traded them spoiled milk in the Kes trade though

Kesler had 3 more good years, one-time Selke finalist and two WCF appearances in one of which they nearly won against the eventual cup champs. And yes he was done after that. Anaheim signed him to a retirement deal only to regret it immediately.

I don't think we traded them spoiled milk, we traded them milk that would expire soon but not clear when it would expire. 

The haul we got for Kesler was a 3C, 6D turnover machine, and 24th overall, which turned into Sutter and Gudbranson and eventually Sutter and Pearson.

I wouldn't say we got a good haul from that trade but I can say that Anaheim got good playoff runs and squeezed out some tough minutes out of Kesler, he went head-to-head against McDavid in 2017 and they won that series.

I don't think we won that trade. It's one of those trades where both teams sort of lost in the end because Anaheim went on to sign him to a retirement contract and non of the returned pieces really worked out for us. But if we must declare a winner, it would be Anaheim since they got good service from the player for 3 years while giving up very little in the way of assets while nothing out of the 3 pieces we got back amounted to anything.

But I do agree on the part that JB did what he could given the circumstances. If a player has 2 or 3 team trade list and only one team is interested in making the trade, then what else can you do?

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Glad to hear that they'll be sending A-2 RatE! to the farm team so he doesn't get tainted by all the drama and lazy rot that currently prevails on the team.    Best to keep him down there until at least after the TDL when hopefully more of the deadwood is dumped off this losing squad over the next few weeks - or - better yet, until next season after some of the remaining contracts are bought out and other good-for-nothings are kicked off the team.    That way he can have a fesh start without being tainted by the negative energy that this team wallows in.

On 2/1/2023 at 11:43 AM, DownUndaCanuck said:

Yeh I think that'll happen too, massive drop off.

We go from having a 70pt Miller, 50-60 goal pace Bo and 60pt Boeser at the start of this year to...

10-15 goal Beauvillier, 15 goal scorer Garland and Miller next year.

2nd line practically halves it's production.

And we still couldn't win.  

On 2/2/2023 at 11:55 AM, hammertime said:

Too early to know.   Kesler had a way better pedigree.    Didn't he have a couple more Selke finalist years in him still?    Horvats next deal will determine things.   One thing that can't be overlooked, is we still couldn't win with him in the lineup.   

• Cheers 2

On 2/2/2023 at 8:55 AM, hammertime said:

I don't think the Kesler deal really hurt the Ducks.  He was a Selke finalist at least twice for them and then basically went on LTIR for the rest of the deal.

Bo is a real unknown at this point.  A career 25ish goal scorer who now maybe scores 50 in his contract year.  Is this a late career awakening like Marchand?  Maybe...but there are a lot more guys who had a one off mega year and never came close to that again (Jonathan Cheechoo, Gary Leeman, Dennis Maruk, Serge Savard even in terms of offense).

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

51 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

I don't think the Kesler deal really hurt the Ducks.  He was a Selke finalist at least twice for them and then basically went on LTIR for the rest of the deal.

Bo is a real unknown at this point.  A career 25ish goal scorer who now maybe scores 50 in his contract year.  Is this a late career awakening like Marchand?  Maybe...but there are a lot more guys who had a one off mega year and never came close to that again (Jonathan Cheechoo, Gary Leeman, Dennis Maruk, Serge Savard even in terms of offense).

Agreed

On 1/31/2023 at 11:46 PM, DownUndaCanuck said:

Allvin has taken on so many projects during his tenure. Bear, Studnicka, Stillman to name a few. Bear has been the only one who's playing up to his potential. This notion of buying low but players who aren't really cracking their own lineup, hoping they'll grow into better players with us is a bit silly. You've got to give quality to get quality, but this might be the start of say a 3-5 year plan.

Don't sugar coat it - Beauvillier is not a prime piece of this trade, he's really just a cap dump, NYI didn't really have anyone else they could afford to throw us in the 4-5M cap range to accommodate for Bo's cap hit. As far as I'm concerned he's a cap dump. Sure, he's a former 1st rounder but he's playing like a 2-3rd rounder. 35ish point player, bottom-6 winger, he's basically a younger less defensively aware Pearson or less offensive Garland for a cap price of in between. Not great, not terrible. He's absolutely a project though - I think if he hits 40+ points and plays well defensively he'll replace Pearson and may get an extended contract. If he plays the same as he has his entire career, he doesn't deserve another contract, or if he does, a price drop to around 2.5-3M. We just can't afford our 3rd line wingers to be getting 4-5M.

Raty is a funny one, he's a bit of a project but still oozes potential and is very young. Not many project prospects out there who are 20 years old. He had a great year after his draft, PPG in Finland, then has come over to the AHL and scored at a 0.5PPG which is decent. I just hope we don't mess up this trend of development. It only seems like he's a project after he was expected to go top-3 in the draft and slipped, so I guess he's been a bit of a project ever since he was drafted. The Canucks aren't the best at player development in all fairness but we'll see what happens. 

Organizationally, we're about to have one of the best draft picks in the last 10-20 years with possibly a top-10 if not top-5 pick in one of the deepest ever drafts full of centers. I doubt we get Bedard (but if we do this conversation is over), but if we get a top-3 pick we have a future elite center who may be better than Petey (Fantilli, Carlsson or obviously Bedard). If we get a top-5/6 pick, we get a very decent top-2 center in Yager, Dvorsky or Smith who can play pretty well as a 2C under Petey. Where Raty and even Klimovich slide in then depends on how good our next pick is. Raty may be a great two-way center at 2C, but if he doesn't produce as much offence as say Will Smith, he'll be a fantastic 3C.

Agree Beau was a cap dump, but they have Bailey at $5M, which is probably where the negotiation started. He has one more year under contract and plays on the 4th line.

Also, how do you figure Raty is a project? He’s a prospect that earned an NHL ELC at 19…he’s a nearly-developed NHL player with draft pedigree and size.