The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Islanders re-sign Bo Horvat

9 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Market value is what the market is willing to offer. It could be high, or it could be low.

Seriously, schools need to be teaching basic economics info. It's shocking how people don't understand this super basic concept.

How many data points do you have on what the market offered, Professor?

• Cheers 2
  • Wat 1

21 minutes ago, Baggins said:

I wish he'd up his production so he could be traded without retention or added payment. 

Horvat's production was up, and still our brilliant GM thought our best trade asset required the team to retain salary.

• RoughGame 1

4 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

99 points and not much else that's funny! How else are offensive players assessed?

Since when does a guy who is producing more points gets over ridden by a guy who is better at face offs by a couple of percentage points and by what else? For being a super nice guy? 

Its wasn't clearly agreed by BOTH SIDES as Lu already said he paid him too much!

Bo was overpaid, deal with it and move on. already

How does Horvat have a contract then? I'm totally curious.

It takes at least two parties to sign a contract. Horvat is an Islander. Come on dude.

I also want to add that Horvat has almost as many points as Miller. Miller has played more games, hence more points. If you actually looked at the numbers between the two players, Miller is not vastly superior.

Edited by Dazzle

6 minutes ago, Darius said:

I don’t disagree with much of what you say. My point is a successful team can have a captain that doesn’t fight much or at all. Aside from stamkos look at Joe Sakic from an era that seemed a lot tougher.

The problem with the Canucks imho is / was the mix is bad. They do need more toughness. Too many wingers of the same mold. Not enough shutdown/ defensive forwards and d men. 

Sakic and Forsberg were a couple of my favorite players as they played hard every game and they did not back down from anyone. They didn't fight but they were in those scrums as much as the next guy.

I am agreeance with you about the mix. We have too many offensive minded forwards and defenseman. We need to have a bigger, faster more aggressive team, period.

1 minute ago, Dazzle said:

Horvat's production was up, and still our brilliant GM thought our best trade asset required the team to retain salary.

He retained a small bit of expiring salary. We have Pearson's and Mikeyev's LTIR if need be. Retaining on Bo was inconsequential.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Kenny Powers said:

Who are you arguing with about Petey being captain? Or anyone fighting? 

It’s not okay to watch your teammates take a beating when you are a 210lb Captain.

That’s the only point I’m making.

I’m saying petey can be a great captain and I don’t expect him to fight. Weight is irrelevant. Does or does not wearing a c obligate you to fight?  

• Wat 1

3 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

How does Horvat have a contract then? I'm totally curious.

It takes at least two parties to sign a contract. Horvat is an Islander. Come on dude.

Lu had no choice he already traded away his pick and players he had to give Bo whatever he wanted. He stated publicly he over paid. Just because he signed doesn't mean he agreed with it.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, EdgarM said:

Lu had no choice he already traded away his pick and players he had to give Bo whatever he wanted. He stated publicly he over paid. Just because he signed doesn't mean he agreed with it.

Now you're just being argumentative.

image.png.9d216d7ceafb71b79d08345a02f7f9bb.png

This doesn't happen if Lou doesn't sign off on it. He and Horvat's agent AGREED to this contract.

Just now, EdgarM said:

I guess you missed this interview? 

I didn't.

Look, what people say before and after negotiations is pretty much irrelevant. The fact is that he agreed to the contract. If he didn't like Horvat's offer, he could've traded him elsewhere.

In fact, the Islanders signed him BEFORE Horvat played a game.

Are you seriously just going to buy what Lou said?

8 minutes ago, coryberg said:

He retained a small bit of expiring salary. We have Pearson's and Mikeyev's LTIR if need be. Retaining on Bo was inconsequential.

Cap space was important, no? One of the things that the GM said was to clear cap space. I know Bo's cap is inconsequential for this year, but it sure doesn't help us this year, no?

Having any cap space will let us have more flexibility in case we claim players and/or take on bad contracts for draft picks.

1 minute ago, Dazzle said:

I didn't.

Look, what people say before and after negotiations is pretty much irrelevant. The fact is that he agreed to the contract. If he didn't like Horvat's offer, he could've traded him elsewhere.

In fact, the Islanders signed him BEFORE Horvat played a game.

Are you seriously just going to buy what Lou said?

:lol: So I am not supposed to believe it when it came from his mouth but I am supposed to believe you? My my, how does your head get through the door. ::D

• RoughGame 1

Just now, EdgarM said:

:lol: So I am not supposed to believe it when it came from his mouth but I am supposed to believe you? My my, how does your head get through the door. ::D

You don't have to believe me. He SIGNED the contract with Horvat. Why didn't he trade Horvat later? Why didn't he just wait until the trade deadline to make a decision?

It's a fact that Lou wanted Horvat long-term, which was why he signed him before Horvat played a game.

This isn't about believing me. It's called common sense.

20 minutes ago, coryberg said:

In 2017 before lockdown Lou came around.

Also lee is no slouch. You can bet that he would have had more than 28 last year in a more offensive system.

Not like they were the 2011 Canucks before Lou Lam. But I dunno. I still think Bo can crack 30 on that squad. Lee is quite solid though. If only they made a point of adding more scoring talent. Barzal is really the only true scoring forward they have, everyone else is more two way/defensive. Crazy to think how polar opposite the Canucks are to the Isles. Their blueline with our forwards and we could make a pretty wicked team. Lol.

6 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

You don't have to believe me. He SIGNED the contract with Horvat. Why didn't he trade Horvat later? Why didn't he just wait until the trade deadline to make a decision?

It's a fact that Lou wanted Horvat long-term, which was why he signed him before Horvat played a game.

This isn't about believing me. It's called common sense.

You don't think he was pushed in a corner once he traded away his #1 draft pick in one of the deepest drafts and then one of his top prospects plus a player off his roster? You think Bo would be easily tradeable when you know he wanted so much money? Isn't that why JR did what he did? 

Common sense says he paid too much and I am not the only one that feels that way. ::D

Edited by EdgarM
  • Haha 1

Just now, EdgarM said:

You don't think he was pushed in a corner once he traded away his #1 draft pick in one of the deepest drafts and then one of his top prospects plus a player off his roster? You think Bo would be easily tradeable when you know he wanted so much money? Isn't that why JR did what he did? 

Common sense says he paid too much and I am not the one one that feels that way. ::D

You're still not getting it.

Most insiders say that the trade was fair. It's a fact that Allvin and Lou established a trade involving Horvat. That trade didn't allow Lou to negotiate with Horvat beforehand. Again, none of these statements are arguable. This is what ACTUALLY happened.

Those insiders also suggested that such a trade wouldn't have happened without some confidence from Lou that a deal of some sort would get done.

This establishes AT MINIMUM that Lou was willing to trade assets to negotiate with Horvat. Lo and behold, a contract was created and accepted by BOTH parties, even before Horvat played a single game.

If Lou didn't like Horvat's demands, he could've waited until Horvat played a few games before accepting Horvat's price. As much as Lou complained about the price, he still did it.

He accepted the conditions when he very well could've declined and re-traded Horvat. The re-signing happened pretty fast, which suggests a fairly smooth process. I don't think there was too much back and forth.

• Thanks 1