The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Islanders re-sign Bo Horvat

Just now, canuck73_3 said:

Realistic shot at an 8-0 =\= treating it as if they have. Not sure why you cannot comprehend that. 

And I’m saying “realistic” means nothing when you’re simply basing it on teams being lower in the standings.

Try watching the scoreboard every night and you’ll see bottom teams beating top teams every night.

• Wat 1

Just now, DeNiro said:

And I’m saying “realistic” means nothing when you’re simply basing it on teams being lower in the standings.

Try watching the scoreboard every night and you’ll see bottom teams beating top teams every night.

:picard: You have a better shot at beating bottom feeders 3 in a row than elite teams. Why tf is this so hard for you to grasp? It is basic fking common sense. 

24 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Our fanbase always hates on the current captain. People hating on Horvat for not fighting everyone. But those same people want Petey as captain. Once Petey becomes captain, their love affair will start with someone else. It's literally the same obsession we had with backups the entire time Lu was here. We are a weird fanbase man.

Totally. 

This may sound F’d up, but I’m really hopeful we can all find a way to support this mgmt regime. It’s really Fn important to build some good will somewhere from the ground up this time.

We all want to see this team succeed.
But we are a disservice/disadvantage at times to this club. 

And the media infatuation with, and infestation into, this market has the fans so rabid. Easily manipulated, divided and constantly at each other’s throats.
Even worse at the people we purportedly support.
The people behind the logo are still the logo, folks. It’s a bit ridiculous to see it any other way. 

it’s more than fair to be critical. It’s a right as a fan, but man, at some point I hope this fanbase affords some acceptance for what every regime has tried to do in the past, and provides concession of and for allllll the personalities, shadiness and dark times involved in our history.

Especially at a time like now, and in a 

contrast when demonizing this mgmt group is so easy to do (and imho totally overblown).

If you find it difficult to want to support this team now, then you were lucky to have been blissfully ignorant to some of our history to begin with.  

Whatever the case, I hope this group brings success and legacy with them and gives us what we’ve been waiting for. In the meantime I hope as fans we can come together a bit more and support what we have as our present and future across the board in all roles. 
With this team being deconstructed, the last thing we need is eastern media inciting a western fan base to turn on itself and its team and eventually chase its star players off our club. For the first time in a while I’m actually a bit concerned about this. 

GCG

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, canuck73_3 said:

Once again you cherry pick the saying. Games are played on ice, champ. 

And playoffs are based off point totals. 

A team that has a 4 game in hand margin for error has a huge advantage. 

You can use all the cliches you want, it doesn’t change reality.

Just now, DeNiro said:

And playoffs are based off point totals. 

A team that has a 4 game in hand margin for error has a huge advantage. 

You can use all the cliches you want, it doesn’t change reality.

Point totals come from games played, not games in hand. Thank you try again. 

2 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Realistic shot at an 8-0 =\= treating it as if they have. Not sure why you cannot comprehend that. 

The Islanders were 0-6 before they went 4-0.  BO played 15 minutes tonight and had one goal.  He wasn't the difference maker in the game. 

They do have an easy 3 games coming up, so it's possible they can go 7-0.  But it wouldn't be because they have BO, it would be because they are playing Vancouver, Montreal and Ottawa.

However, even if they go 7-0, Pittsburgh still has 4 games in hand and so does Buffalo.  Washington is no slouch either.  Also, the Islanders already dumped their load with BO.  They won't be making any more moves unless they want to trade their 2024 1st round pick.  Meanwhile, Buffalo, Pittsburgh and Washington are still looking to do deadline deals to push them into the playoffs.

• Huggy Bear 1

:picard: You have a better shot at beating bottom feeders 3 in a row than elite teams. Why tf is this so hard for you to grasp? It is basic fking common sense. 

It’s not hard to grasp at all. It’s actually a very simple thought. One that’s too simple for what we’re talking about.

The Isles are a bubble playoff team, they’re not the Bruins. Thinking they’re some juggernaut that’s gonna rolls through “bottom feeders” is silly. They don’t have a legit shot at anything.

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

The Islanders were 0-6 before they went 4-0.  BO played 15 minutes tonight and had one goal.  He wasn't the difference maker in the game. 

They do have an easy 3 games coming up, so it's possible they can go 7-0.  But it wouldn't be because they have BO, it would be because they are playing Vancouver, Montreal and Ottawa.

However, even if they go 7-0, Pittsburgh still has 4 games in hand and so does Buffalo.  Washington is no slouch either.  Also, the Islanders already dumped their load with BO.  They won't be making any more moves unless they want to trade their 2024 1st round pick.  Meanwhile, Buffalo, Pittsburgh and Washington are still looking to do deadline deals to push them into the playoffs.

Did I say Bo was the difference maker? 

Point is and always has been, games in hand are meaningless until they’re played. Every team plays 82 games. 4 games ahead is every bit an illusion as 4 games in hand. 

3 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Point totals come from games played, not games in hand. Thank you try again. 

Yes games played which two teams they’re fighting with have four more of.

Honestly this is like pounding my head against a wall.

You’re going on mute for a bit. I’ll talk to you when the Isles are on the outside looking in. ;)

• RoughGame 1

Did I say Bo was the difference maker? 

Point is and always has been, games in hand are meaningless until they’re played. Every team plays 82 games. 4 games ahead is every bit an illusion as 4 games in hand. 

True.  However, Pittsburgh is ahead of the Islanders so they don't need to win those games in hand.  The Islanders are the ones that are playing catchup and have to win these easy games coming up.  I think you are missing that important point.

• Thanks 1

Just now, DeNiro said:

It’s not hard to grasp at all. It’s actually a very simple thought. One that’s too simple for what we’re talking about.

The Isles are a bubble playoff team, they’re not the Bruins. Thinking they’re some juggernaut that’s gonna rolls through “bottom feeders” is silly. They don’t have a legit shot at anything.

If the Isles are a bubble team then the Penguins are a bubble team with 4 games in hand that don’t have a legit shot at anything as well.  And that’s without factoring in Washington too. 

You simply can’t have the argument both ways. This is no more a lock for Washington and Pittsburgh, as it is a conclusion to the Islanders season. All 3 are bubble teams with zero guarantees until the end of the season.  

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

True.  However, Pittsburgh is ahead of the Islanders so they don't need to win those games in hand.  The Islanders are the ones that are playing catchup and have to win these easy games coming up.  I think you are missing that important point.

Actually the Isles have 27 W so if Pittsburgh lost all 4 the Isles would be in. 

2 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Actually the Isles have 27 W so if Pittsburgh lost all 4 the Isles would be in. 

Pittsburgh plays Anaheim and San Jose in their next 4 games.  If the Islanders are a slam dunk to win their easy games, wouldn't Pittsburgh also be a slam dunk to win theirs?  You can't have it both ways.  It's very hard to make up even 4-5 points in the NHL because of the loser overtime point.  The Canucks played .680 hockey last year down the stretch and still couldn't make up 6-8 points.

Pittsburgh plays Anaheim and San Jose in their next 4 games.  If the Islanders are a slam dunk to win their easy games, wouldn't Pittsburgh also be a slam dunk to win theirs?  You can't have it both ways.  It's very hard to make up even 4-5 points in the NHL because of the loser overtime point.  The Canucks played .680 hockey last year down the stretch and still couldn't make up 6-8 points.

Ok but those aren’t their only games. If they finished tied in points as of now Isles hold the tie breaker. They also have 3 games vs Pittsburgh and only 1 vs Washington. They control their destiny more against Pittsburgh head to head. 

Pittsburgh is also content to not make a big splash/go all in. 

This isn’t as little thought out as DeNiro would have you believe. 

Even if it is a long shot which I have never denied. 

4 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Ok but those aren’t their only games. If they finished tied in points as of now Isles hold the tie breaker. They also have 3 games vs Pittsburgh and only 1 vs Washington. They control their destiny more against Pittsburgh head to head. 

Pittsburgh is also content to not make a big splash/go all in. 

This isn’t as little thought out as DeNiro would have you believe. 

Even if it is a long shot which I have never denied. 

Anything can happen, I agree with that.  But even if both teams just win their easy games, the Islanders are still playing catchup hockey.  Also, Pittsburgh is rumoured in on several deals.  They aren't just going to hold their bag while Crosby is still playing.  They may make their own BO type deal.  We don't know yet...

• Cheers 1

Anything can happen, I agree with that.  But even if both teams just win their easy games, the Islanders are still playing catchup hockey.  Also, Pittsburgh is rumoured in on several deals.  They aren't just going to hold their bag while Crosby is still playing.  They may make their own BO type deal.  We don't know yet...

They’re currently tied in Points, Isles have more wins despite all the games Pitt has in hand. 

Pittsburgh is already leaning towards standing pat/minor deals and not making a splash going all in. 

It’s going to be a fun race. 

• Huggy Bear 1

Do they want JT Miller?  He’s already signed. Islanders might have a hard time catching up if Pens acquired Miller. 

I don’t want much besides their 1st and best prospect. 

• Cheers 2