The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Get Drance some crow

Rate this topic

Timråfan

12 hours ago, Fanuck said:

Newsflash,  he doesn't care if he's right or wrong,  only that people like you spread his nonsense everywhere.   Job done.

Drance, like most in digital media, has only one job; writing clickbait takes to get as many clicks, shares, quotes, and replies as possible. If every one of us goes on their site and flames Drance, I'm sure he's thrilled because his bosses know he's not just getting clicks; he's getting reactions too. Then the Athletic turns around and sells click numbers to advertisers; it's the internet media's version of ratings. People who read him and hate share, hate quote, or hate reply to his tweets and his posts are doing him a HUGE favor. If you want to hurt him, ignore him until he writes a reasonable take.

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, Dazzle said:

I don't always agree with Drance, but here he has somewhat of an interesting opinion.

We gave up our most expensive picks (mid round 1st rounder and a 2nd rounder) and took in contender picks (low 3rd round picks). Yes, we have Hronek, but he was drafted in the 2nd round pick by Detroit. They have sold him high.

Notice how no other bottom feeding team has traded away first round picks?

This is a very shortsighted move, even if Hronek is a great player.

I hope for the Canucks that Hronek pays off. Because if he doesn't, we are going to be hurting for a while.

The difference is that the Canucks isn’t a bottom feeder team.

We have a great core that are almost unstoppable with a little tweeks.

Hronak was one of those.

You and Drance doesn’t get that…

Edited by Timråfan
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, kanucks25 said:

I really find it baffling why this toxic media is so negative about a team that has been so incredibly successful over the past decade or so.

I don't know what the term is for "even better than a dynasty" but that's us, and we don't deserve this sort of disrespect.

It's always amazes me how modern medicine can change peoples perspective on things.....image.jpeg.a679d5f7fb0f89129b91ac3c8966eb31.jpegThe miracle of Science!

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Timråfan said:

Hronak was one of those.

Kind of feel like we've been saying this for years now including when Hughes and Pettersson were already part of the team. Also how can this core be "unstoppable" with a few tweaks if it's currently 27th (or somewhere there) in the standings and missed the playoffs the previous 2 seasons? 

I don't mean to be rude but this is delusional thinking and fans have here have been fed to this narrative only for it to fall flat in our faces the last 3 years. 

Also the core isn't great since it hasn't proven anything yet. The only time this team did something is during the bubble and we forget how the team was already slipping before the covid pause and the first 2 rounds the Canucks won were against a mediocre Wild and a Blues team that had little or no motivation to want to remain in the bubble. If this is the furthest this core has gotten then no this core isn't great. If anything this core is somewhere between the Oilers oil change area to just plain mediocre. 

Edited by iinatcc
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Provost said:

Literally no team has had fewer wins per cap dollar spent than the Canucks.  Don’t pretend they are doing ok

Tried to respond yesterday, but for some reason the topic was closed?

I don't for a second pretend they are doing ok? Never said anything towards, however I do believe, IF and that is a massive IF, Hronek can be that elusive RHD we have been yarning for like forever, then this team could become good.

Its not an actor contract like OELs for starters,

and Petey and QH wants to see progress (which is fair)

Give it another 2-3 years and if there is no improvement, trade Petey. QH, Demko and everything and start afresh. 

We need a few more forwards to be traded to free up dollars for a couple of D. and we could be having a good team.

Only real issue I have, is PA saying they wanted cap flexibility, which isn't really the case just now... 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

57 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

Kind of feel like we've been saying this for years now including when Hughes and Pettersson were already part of the team. Also how can this core be "unstoppable" with a few tweaks if it's currently 27th (or somewhere there) in the standings and missed the playoffs the previous 2 seasons? 

I don't mean to be rude but this is delusional thinking and fans have here have been fed to this narrative only for it to fall flat in our faces the last 3 years. 

Also the core isn't great since it hasn't proven anything yet. The only time this team did something is during the bubble and we forget how the team was already slipping before the covid pause and the first 2 rounds the Canucks won were against a mediocre Wild and a Blues team that had little or no motivation to want to remain in the bubble. If this is the furthest this core has gotten then no this core isn't great. If anything this core is somewhere between the Oilers oil change area to just plain mediocre. 

There has been a lot of changes since the Bubble play offs... 

The D suck and has for like forever... Demko being injured has not helped neither...

The big question really is, are we prepared to let go of Petey and QH (who just broke the NHL record for fewest games to reach 200 assists), go and go full rebuild? 

Or do we give it 2 years and see if we still suck, and then break it up?

• Vintage 1

13 minutes ago, spook007 said:

There has been a lot of changes since the Bubble play offs... 

The D suck and has for like forever... Demko being injured has not helped neither...

The big question really is, are we prepared to let go of Petey and QH (who just broke the NHL record for fewest games to reach 200 assists), go and go full rebuild? 

Or do we give it 2 years and see if we still suck, and then break it up?

Honestly it's going to hurt and even devastating. Personally I am still bummed out how things ended for Horvat here. 

But the last 8 years, I really see now light at the end with the current situation. 

Our only glimmer of hope was after the bubble. And don't get me wrong considering the pandemic and uncertainty of things, the Canucks' run during the bubble playoffs is something I was grateful and forever cherish. And in a depressing year, Canucks gave us something to cheer for (even for a brief moment). 

Having said that since then any kind of hope we can linger to just lead to the same disappointments. 2021 season, oh Canucks will build from the bubble and still have this young core .. nope they finished last in the division.

Next season oh all the bad contracts are gone and the aggressive moves acquiring OEL, Garland, Halak and Dickinson will certainly help support this core. Then nope.

Then this season, oh Bruce Boudreau he's going to carry over the 2022 to 2023 season the same way the previous season finihsed. And nope. 

From coaching to management the only thing that really remains is the general roster construction. And this is where the problem is. 

Anyways my feelings on this team and core can be summed up with this meme

76n9tfr4e0k71.webp

Edited by iinatcc
  • Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

Honestly it's going to hurt and even devastating. Personally I am still bummed out how things ended for Horvat here. 

But the last 8 years, I really see now light at the end with the current situation. 

Our only glimmer of hope was after the bubble. And don't get me wrong considering the pandemic and uncertainty of things, the Canucks' run during the bubble playoffs is something I was grateful and forever cherish. And in a depressing year, Canucks gave us something to cheer for (even for a brief moment). 

Having said that since then any kind of hope we can linger to just lead to the same disappointments. 2021 season, oh Canucks will build from the bubble and still have this young core .. nope they finished last in the division.

Next season oh all the bad contracts are gone and the aggressive moves acquiring OEL, Garland, Halak and Dickinson will certainly help support this core. Then nope.

Then this season, oh Bruce Boudreau he's going to carry over the 2022 to 2023 season the same way the previous season finihsed. And nope. 

From coaching to management the only thing that really remains is the general roster construction. And this is where the problem is. 

Anyways my feelings on this team and core can be summed up with this meme

76n9tfr4e0k71.webp

That's a fair assessment amigo. 
I also think, and definitely in hindsight, missed the boat twice now. 
both in 2014-16ish and again 3 years ago. 
3 years ago before Petey and QH became stars, we should have rebuilt as they were not able to cary the load themselves. 

The OEL trade was crap, and at the time, I thought of understood it, with the entire club and fan base being sick and tired of LE and the supporting cast. 
Massive mistake. 1 year, while Petey and QH were finding their feet, was all it would have taken to almost have a clean slate and cap space. Only one year.... desperation trade by Benning, and its going to hurt one way or another....

Anyway, I'm in the let Petey and QH have another couple of years, while being supported, and if it doesn't work, trade them all. For once we would be trading assets that could bring something back....

PS. As for Horvat, the writing was on the wall the day they signed Miller to his 7 year extension. 

1 hour ago, iinatcc said:

I’m not sure why you bring up earlier years.

This is a new management. This isn’t Benning trying a one man show bullying people.

A lot of changes have already happened and a new direction is set.

Some points to clarify. I could have written more but these are game changers.

After Marky left we only had one goalie that could save us. That is too much pressure on Demko. Now we have Silovs that can bring some relief.

With Hronek we can attack from both left and right. As you probably seen we go on the left side almost every time.

Tocchet get variation and as with Demko, Hughes get a RHD that can take some tough minutes from him.

PA has brought in a bunch of interesting players, most with speed.

That means we now have around 15 players fighting for 6 -9 roster spots.

Competition that we haven seen as long as I’ve been here plus that Abbotsford and the Canucks are aligned in good way.

Now we can miss a few players including Petey or Hughes and still win games.

That was very hard before during the doom and gloom years that you’re still affected by.

• Cheers 1

I have to laugh at all the willfully ignorant clowns like Drance who make a point of crapping all over this team regardless of what they do.

The team addressed what is by far the biggest and most difficult-to-fill hole in the lineup by acquiring a top RD who perfectly fits Petey's and Huggy's age bracket.

They are like hens' teeth, yet Drance and many of his ilk on CDC purport to believe that we can just go down to the elite DMan store and pick up an elite RHD anytime we want.

For those of you who agree with Drance, how many RHD under-26 years old and in the top 20 of NHL Dman scoring have changed hands in the last couple of years, and what did they cost?

Edited by WeneedLumme
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

17 hours ago, kanucks25 said:

I really find it baffling why this toxic media is so negative about a team that has been so incredibly successful over the past decade or so.

I don't know what the term is for "even better than a dynasty" but that's us, and we don't deserve this sort of disrespect.

Hockey gods I think is the right term and after beating 3 games in 4 nights Leafs, Valhalla it is.

• elephant 1

4 hours ago, Timråfan said:

Hronak was one of those.

Maybe not next year? Hopefully?

But uhhhh right now, yes they unfortunately are.

• There it is 1

4 minutes ago, awalk said:

Maybe not next year? Hopefully?

But uhhhh right now, yes they unfortunately are.

Because they lost Demko and his backup couldn’t hold the fort.

How many goals per game has the Canucks? 
A real bottomfeeder isn’t that good in offence.

Just now, Timråfan said:

Because they lost Demko and his backup couldn’t hold the fort.

How many goals per game has the Canucks? 
A real bottomfeeder isn’t that good in offence.

When they can win meaningful games early and often in the season, and not down the stretch when they are already out of it, I'll celebrate the team turning the corner. Until then, they haven't proven they aren't a bottom feeder.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, awalk said:

When they can win meaningful games early and often in the season, and not down the stretch when they are already out of it, I'll celebrate the team turning the corner. Until then, they haven't proven they aren't a bottom feeder.

Well, if the facts regarding players available etc isn’t important for you I can’t help.

1 minute ago, Timråfan said:

Well, if the facts regarding players available etc isn’t important for you I can’t help.

Demko was there at the start of the season. It's fine if you wanna have hope for next season go for it. I've been burned too many times, I'll wait and see.

34 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

I have to laugh at all the willfully ignorant clowns like Drance who make a point of crapping all over this team regardless of what they do.

The team addressed what is by far the biggest and most difficult-to-fill hole in the lineup by acquiring a top RD who perfectly fits Petey's and Huggy's age bracket.

They are like hens' teeth, yet Drance and many of his ilk on CDC purport to believe that we can just go down the the elite DMan store and pick up an elite RD anytime we want.

For those of you who agree with Drance, how many RD under-26 years old and in the top 20 of NHL Dman scoring have changed hands in the last couple of years, and what did they cost?

Bingo! I went into it in another post, so I won’t go too much into it again, but…

1) We needed to address the defence (specifically rhd) for now and later. He can do both. He’s 25, not 35. He’s entering his prime and will be here for years hopefully. This wasn’t just a now / short term solution no matter how Drance / others spin it.

2) No matter if it’s building, re-building, re-tooling, you can’t only rely on drafting. It has to be a combo of drafting, trading & signing players. 

Legit rhd don’t just grow on trees and they did a good job of flipping the pick to get one. 

Edited by 88Canuck
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, iinatcc said:

It's not, and this is a very unserious fanboy take (and I hope I'm dead wrong here next season).

7 minutes ago, awalk said:

Demko was there at the start of the season. It's fine if you wanna have hope for next season go for it. I've been burned too many times, I'll wait and see.

So, how good was Demko before he went off injured? 

6 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

So, how good was Demko before he went off injured? 

How good was he last year? Amazing. 

Where'd we finish? Exactly.

I'd like to think that an "unstoppable" team would be fighting for a playoff position if their #1 goalie went down, not battling for a lottery pick. Sounds pretty...stoppable, if one or two things go wrong...

Keep huffing that hopium. I hope it ends up being true.

Edited by awalk