The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[discussion] defence retooled internally?

14 hours ago, Boknows08 said:

I don’t see both of them signing. Do you envision Schenn back with Hughes? Schenn was playing too much before, maybe Hronek takes some minutes? If they did both sign, would Burrows be an extra and Johansson on the 3rd pairing. How do you envision the lineup next year?

Schenn, if signed, would be a fixture on the third pairing. I'd hope that management finds Hughes a legitimate right-handed defensive partner in his age range this summer, who compliments him. Burroughs could be re-signed and spend part of his time in Abbotsford. 

Burroughs has more than filled the void left by Schenn from a physical perspective, so I would also be alright with Burroughs being re-upped instead. Both provide steady and consistent physical play. 

With a free agent signing and/or a trade for a defenseman, this would be what I hope for:

Hughes - Severson

Graves - Hronek 

Rathbone - Schenn/Burroughs

What probably will happen, due to OEL's contract being an anchor:

Hughes - Hronek

OEL - Bear

Rathbone - Burroughs

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Schenn, if signed, would be a fixture on the third pairing. I'd hope that management finds Hughes a legitimate right-handed defensive partner in his age range this summer, who compliments him. Burroughs could be re-signed and spend part of his time in Abbotsford. 

Burroughs has more than filled the void left by Schenn from a physical perspective, so I would also be alright with Burroughs being re-upped instead. Both provide steady and consistent physical play. 

With a free agent signing and/or a trade for a defenseman, this would be what I hope for:

Hughes - Severson

Graves - Hronek 

Rathbone - Schenn/Burroughs

What probably will happen, due to OEL's contract being an anchor:

Hughes - Hronek

OEL - Bear

Rathbone - Burroughs

What about trading OEL for Colton Paryako? OEL is done in four years and Paryako has more term (a couple years longer) buy a cap hit a bit less. Or do we just buyout OEL and reallocate his cap to free agents? 

• Vintage 1

Just now, Alflives said:

What about trading OEL for Colton Paryako? OEL is done in four years and Paryako has more term (a couple years longer) buy a cap hit a bit less. Or do we just buyout OEL and reallocate his cap to free agents? 

I highly doubt OEL would waive his no trade clause to go to St. Louis. Parayko would be preferable to OEL no doubt, and comes in at $6.5 M per year, but can't see OEL waiving his clause, which is unfortunate because he's nowhere near the player he used to be.

I'd love to see him bought out, so that the Canucks could move on from that horrific trade, but who knows. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I highly doubt OEL would waive his no trade clause to go to St. Louis. Parayko would be preferable to OEL no doubt, and comes in at $6.5 M per year, but can't see OEL waiving his clause, which is unfortunate because he's nowhere near the player he used to be.

I'd love to see him bought out, so that the Canucks could move on from that horrific trade, but who knows. 

Totally agree. If we don't buyout OEL I see him being a healthy scratch and Brisbois playing his minutes. We'd be allocating 8 million to a bottom pair D spot. If we buyout OEL we clear 7 mil for next season. That's money to allocate to the free agents (at least one of them) you suggest. Makes us so much better. 

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Totally agree. If we don't buyout OEL I see him being a healthy scratch and Brisbois playing his minutes. We'd be allocating 8 million to a bottom pair D spot. If we buyout OEL we clear 7 mil for next season. That's money to allocate to the free agents (at least one of them) you suggest. Makes us so much better. 

True. Look at how the team's overall game improved once he was injured. From both the statistical perspective and the eye test, the team bleeds shots (high quality ones too) when he's on the ice. And he doesn't provide offense anywhere near what his cap hit suggests. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Hughes needs a legitimate defensive partner. Juulsen has shown some chemistry with him, but Juulsen is not the long-term solution. I mean Schenn has shown chemistry with Hughes too, although re-signing him in the offseason to be a 3rd pairing vet makes perfect sense.

Another major trade or FA acquisition needs to happen to ensure the Canucks have a legitimate top pairing. 

The Canucks have an excellent goaltender in Demko, and Delia and Silovs are admirable back ups. The forward corps is one 3rd C away from being set. 

The defense can't be piecemealed at the top pairing. Not sure Hronek and Hughes have chemistry, but maybe that'll take time. Either way, the team will need at least one more true impact defenseman. OEL is not that guy anymore. I know a lot of folks see him as such, but I don't.

Very good summary of where we are as a team. 

On the subject of OEL, I'm one of the optimists on his outlook. He managed to put together a very good 2021-22 season while playing with Myers.  I know that this year was a disaster where he looked horrible for the first month and spent a month being average before really struggling for the last few games and going out for the season. I think it's pretty easy to chalk it up to his health/conditioning like Rick Tocchet said himself.  We're not asking him to play like he did 5 years ago, we're asking him to play like he did last year and with a better partner ( Hronek >>> Myers). 

@Kenny Powers I have really liked Juulsen and always thought that he looked like an NHL player even going back to last year.  He was regarded the same as Jalen Chatfield back in the day, except that Noah can make an outlet pass while Jalen can skate the puck out better. 

Having said that, moving on from Myers and Bear would be good to free up some space and probably get a couple of mid-round picks back but in that case we would definitely need to go shopping for one right side d-man. Juulsen is injury prone, and you ideally want him and Burroughs covering the 6/7 spots on the right side.  It's fine to pair them with Hughes for 5 on 5, but I'd like someone like Schenn or Mayfield to be on the team as well, just in case and playing on the 3rd pair. 

1 hour ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Very good summary of where we are as a team. 

On the subject of OEL, I'm one of the optimists on his outlook. He managed to put together a very good 2021-22 season while playing with Myers.  I know that this year was a disaster where he looked horrible for the first month and spent a month being average before really struggling for the last few games and going out for the season. I think it's pretty easy to chalk it up to his health/conditioning like Rick Tocchet said himself.  We're not asking him to play like he did 5 years ago, we're asking him to play like he did last year and with a better partner ( Hronek >>> Myers). 

@Kenny Powers I have really liked Juulsen and always thought that he looked like an NHL player even going back to last year.  He was regarded the same as Jalen Chatfield back in the day, except that Noah can make an outlet pass while Jalen can skate the puck out better. 

Having said that, moving on from Myers and Bear would be good to free up some space and probably get a couple of mid-round picks back but in that case we would definitely need to go shopping for one right side d-man. Juulsen is injury prone, and you ideally want him and Burroughs covering the 6/7 spots on the right side.  It's fine to pair them with Hughes for 5 on 5, but I'd like someone like Schenn or Mayfield to be on the team as well, just in case and playing on the 3rd pair. 

That would work as a cost effective option with depth for injuries. 

I’m intrigued by VGK prospect Kaedan Korczak as a potential partner for Hughes.  Seems like he’s ready for the NHL, but buried behind their depth.  Would love to acquire him for a winger, and have Schenn/Foote mentor him.

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

I think the buyout and buy UFAs is a tasty/tempting option which I was all over to start this season, but it will suck in the long run. We just have to manage our dead cap, every team has some, we just can't pile it on top of other dead caps. 

I'd be tempted now to give OEL a go with the new coaches - if they can revitalize Myers' career, they can surely do the same for OEL after some sustained play. If we've got a 30+ year old guy on a 7M deal who can play even 18+ minutes a night, I'd be happy with him as our 5th guy who can play mainly the PK (hard minutes) and when we get injuries to our top-4, he can jump in and play 20+ minutes with ease. That's the sign of a great, deep team.

23 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I think the buyout and buy UFAs is a tasty/tempting option which I was all over to start this season, but it will suck in the long run. We just have to manage our dead cap, every team has some, we just can't pile it on top of other dead caps. 

I'd be tempted now to give OEL a go with the new coaches - if they can revitalize Myers' career, they can surely do the same for OEL after some sustained play. If we've got a 30+ year old guy on a 7M deal who can play even 18+ minutes a night, I'd be happy with him as our 5th guy who can play mainly the PK (hard minutes) and when we get injuries to our top-4, he can jump in and play 20+ minutes with ease. That's the sign of a great, deep team.

Now that Oel is on IR, he has the time to rehab his injury he’s been dealing with all year, have a good off season of training and will be just fine next season with Tochett and co. 

Juulsen is not the Top pairing guy to start next season if we arc improving.  

Or a Second Pairing first choice unless a winger cannot be unloaded, and we miss on the Big RHD in the draft… in the Swiss League.

All for trading Myers, but keep Bear for depth if your running Juulsen on the top Pair.

it’s the floor, and I think we can unload some cap and that even with Hronek the RHD top pairings were of the highest priority.

Alvin and Ruthford are clearly acting in that mindset.  

5 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

Juulsen is not the Top pairing guy to start next season if we arc improving.  

Or a Second Pairing first choice unless a winger cannot be unloaded, and we miss on the Big RHD in the draft… in the Swiss League.

All for trading Myers, but keep Bear for depth if your running Juulsen on the top Pair.

it’s the floor, and I think we can unload some cap and that even with Hronek the RHD top pairings were of the highest priority.

Alvin and Ruthford are clearly acting in that mindset.  

You think Reinbacher would play next year? Don’t most highly drafted defensemen take 2-3 years to make it to the NHL?

12 hours ago, Kenny Powers said:

You think Reinbacher would play next year? Don’t most highly drafted defensemen take 2-3 years to make it to the NHL?

Not next year, but he could be in NA the year after.

that’s optimistic and I would think draft plus 3 is a very realistic time line for him to take a roster spot should he pan out and be our selection.

so like other top picks, playing either AHL or NHL minutes after his draft plus two contract is up.

he could be a Chris Tanev like in ability to adjust to playing versus men.

Tanev was parachuted into a SCF run.

Move out Myers Cap hit, sure.

but we would need to bring back Schenn at least, plus Bear, Juulsen and … Woo… too.

Burroughs is a question, not resigned yet.

so even a skinny new guy could crack the Nucks RHD if they can skate and not lose their shit every time the puck comes in their general direction, while staying healthy.

1 hour ago, Phat Fingers said:

Not next year, but he could be in NA the year after.

that’s optimistic and I would think draft plus 3 is a very realistic time line for him to take a roster spot should he pan out and be our selection.

so like other top picks, playing either AHL or NHL minutes after his draft plus two contract is up.

he could be a Chris Tanev like in ability to adjust to playing versus men.

Tanev was parachuted into a SCF run.

Move out Myers Cap hit, sure.

but we would need to bring back Schenn at least, plus Bear, Juulsen and … Woo… too.

Burroughs is a question, not resigned yet.

so even a skinny new guy could crack the Nucks RHD if they can skate and not lose their shit every time the puck comes in their general direction, while staying healthy.

That sounds about right

• 3 weeks later...

The latest prospect report by Faber suggests Filip Johansson should challenge for the 3rd pair next year. It also looks like they want to re-sign Bear, with contract talks resuming recently. With those two pencilled in, we seem to have decent internal competition/ depth, even after a potential Myers trade.

Appreciating Hughes can carry a less skilled partner, I’m intrigued by trying him with Hronek to start next year. Having those two drive possession and feed the offence for nearly half the game would be very tough on opponents. It also leaves Bear on the second pairing, which feels like less of a stretch for him.

Assuming OEL bounces back, this could be a somewhat improved d core:

Hughes - Hronek (28 min)

OEL - Bear (22 min)

Hirose - Johansson (10 min)
Brisebois - Juulsen

Pretty confident in Breezer and Juulsen to provide spot duty, and possibly win a regular spot 

What do you guys think about that group to start next season?

Edited by Kenny Powers

On 3/27/2023 at 12:38 PM, Kenny Powers said:

RT gave OEL a vote of confidence to return from this injury with improved performance. If we keep him, does it make sense to sign a UFA like Gavrikov? 

Is it possible we have the talent internally to ice an improved D corps?

Here’s what that scenario could look like:

• re-sign RFA Juulsen to 3 x $1.25M 
  • At the draft (if we haven’t reached a deal) trade Bear for a 2023 pick
  • July 1st, trade Myers for a 2024 pick

Hughes - Juulsen

OEL - Hronek

Rathbone - Johansson

———————————-

Wolanin - Burroughs

Brisebois - Woo

Wolanin and Burroughs have looked good enough to be NHL regulars, so that depth looks sufficient to survive 2-3 injuries in the top 6.  

That’s an entirely new, and younger right side from the start of this season.

• Hughes likes playing with Juulsen, who has a 1st round pedigree, and is entering his prime 
  • OEL gets his best D partner as a Canuck, and Foote and Gonchar to help find his game
  • Rathbone looks improved and physically stronger, and pairs with FJ, a late bloomer at 23
  • Without Myers, we see an 89% reduction in chaos

I’m almost convinced that could work, but think we’ll sign or trade for at least one more proven defensemen with size/shutdown ability. 

If our internal options prove themselves, we almost need to trade one out.

Just going to say our PK has been bottom of the league since OEL replaced Elder as our primary LHD on PK1.

19 hours ago, Kenny Powers said:

Everyone in that top 6 can move the puck well. Not a lot of size/snarl though.

Would love to have at least one, big physical defensemen that opponents need to watch out for a big open ice hit, or the odd hip check.

If the team wants to have any success, especially in the post season, they're going to have to acquire more size and truculence. Thinking that they'll be able to outskate the physicality is dumb. I'm pretty sure Tocchet will want some larger, meaner players to buttress the skill on the team. Will Alvin listen?

• Upvote 1