The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Los Angeles Kings at Vancouver Canucks | Apr. 02, 2023

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

11 hours ago, RU SERIOUS said:

This loss against L.A. is yet another perfect example why we need/ed a REBUILD.   For all the "dreamers" that say "we're close", after Tock-It took over, the facts are; that since the All-Star break, the Canucks have only managed to win against 4 teams (a total of 6 games) that are in a playoff position out of 27 Games.  Sad but True! 

The reality is we've been playing bottom-feeder teams for the last two months who are dedicated to tanking - unlike our "smart" team that appears great against those basement dwellers.  When it comes to playing good teams - we still can't compete with this same core group of players we've had for years.  We have a lonnnnnng way to go............

An entire month of those games were with AHL goaltenders who were burnt out giving up 5 goals a night. Also, no team has its players dedicate to a tank. Even the worst team in the NHL can beat the best on any given night.

The reality is, we had a poor structure under Boudreau, a circus in the dressing room, and multiple players playing injured all season long (Demko, Mikheyev, OEL). It's impossible to project this team next year, just like it was last year. Some of us fans will be optimistic, some will be negative nancies. It is what it is, but there's much more context that you're blatantly ignoring to fit your narrative. I'd say the truth lies somewhere in the middle.

• Huggy Bear 1

6 minutes ago, Heretic said:

The Canucks (34-25-7) have now missed the playoffs for three straight years, and for seven of the last eight NHL seasons.  

Let’s face it if it weren’t for the COVID shortened season we would have missed that season too. It’s been 8 years of not legitimately qualifying for the playoffs.

It’s crazy to think how long of a leash Benning was given. I guess it shouldn’t surprise anyone that no one has hired our previous two managers given the state we’re in.

Edited by DeNiro

Just now, AnthonyG said:

How did he look? I wasnt able to watch the game last night. Curious to know if anything stood out in a good way, if there is some potential showing.

Not bad, can skate, but the play that stood out for me was a forward pushing past him to the net. Rath, Quinn, plus Hirose was no push back. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Let’s face it if it weren’t for the COVID shortened season we would have missed that season too. It’s been 8 years of not legitimately qualifying for the playoffs.

It’s crazy to think how long of a leash Benning was given. I guess it shouldn’t surprise anyone that no one has hired our previous two managers given the state we’re in.

We went from Gillis, who was GM during our most successful era, to Benning who was GM during our worst. I get the feeling our new management is like Gillis. It took him a few years to build the supporting cast around an existing core. This group will do the same. 

2 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Not bad, can skate, but the play that stood out for me was a forward pushing past him to the net. Rath, Quinn, plus Hirose was no push back. 

We clearly miss Hronek. The guy is a great player and a fabulous get for us. 

1 minute ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

An entire month of those games were with AHL goaltenders who were burnt out giving up 5 goals a night. Also, no team has its players dedicate to a tank. Even the worst team in the NHL can beat the best on any given night.

The reality is, we had a poor structure under Boudreau, a circus in the dressing room, and multiple players playing injured all season long (Demko, Mikheyev, OEL). It's impossible to project this team next year, just like it was last year. Some of us fans will be optimistic, some will be negative nancies. It is what it is, but there's much more context that you're blatantly ignoring to fit your narrative. I'd say the truth lies somewhere in the middle.

One thing that was consistent this season was our ability to score. If we get consistent goaltending our 5v5 will improve as well as our PK and We will be a playoff team.

• There it is 1

18 minutes ago, Heretic said:

The Canucks (34-25-7) have now missed the playoffs for three straight years, and for seven of the last eight NHL seasons.  

Let's just scratch the bubble playoffs, that wasn't real. Canucks have been bad since the Sedins were carrying the team.  

Edited by NUCKER67

6 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

One thing that was consistent this season was our ability to score. If we get consistent goaltending our 5v5 will improve as well as our PK and We will be a playoff team.

It's not a coincidence that getting Demko back has helped us pick up wins consistently, even with 3-4 AHL calibre dmen on most nights. The systems and a healthy NHL defensive corps will do wonders for our team, especially as you mention, since our offense is so consistent.

It's not so unbelievable either, we were top 3 last year in 5on5 GA with a healthy Demko and a meh defensive structure and corps.

Tocchet, Hronek, Bear... we've been making excellent moves

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Let's just scratch the bubble playoffs, that wasn't real. Canucks have been bad since the Sedins were carrying the team.  

Yup. Since after year one of Benning. Clearly should have rebuilt properly during those years. But we did come out with a great young core. The retooling continues. 

27 minutes ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

It's not a coincidence that getting Demko back has helped us pick up wins consistently, even with 3-4 AHL calibre dmen on most nights. The systems and a healthy NHL defensive corps will do wonders for our team, especially as you mention, since our offense is so consistent.

It's not so unbelievable either, we were top 3 last year in 5on5 GA with a healthy Demko and a meh defensive structure and corps.

Tocchet, Hronek, Bear... we've been making excellent moves

If we get Demko playing like the last half of last season and our PK doing what it has been since the coaching changes… we could very well be a force to be reckoned with. Ultimately if we want to win a cup, we need to get back to that caliber of goaltending. Where our goalie steals games for us when it matters most. There will be games where you have to rely on the tendy, as long as its not all season. Have yet to see that this season but thats fine by me…. One more decent draft and we’ll have some prospects ready to make an impact in a few years when everything comes together at the same time.

Our top line has been unreal, our 2nd line has been good this season, our bottom 6 guys have been producing, Hughes is shining bright, Hronek will help deepen the blueline, a healthy, dialled in Demko, our AHL call ups have been excellent imo and some young studs trying to make a name for themselves…. When these worlds collide, its going to be one helluva ride. for now lets just enjoy the remaining games and get some looks at some of the youth and enjoy the outlook on the future.

• Cheers 1

Will be curious if can do anything about D as very unlikely to be able to anything about OEL and Myers until next offseason.

Problem has not been additions to teams (other than the cap problems they have created) but the inability to subtract from the team. 
Even with Q and EP having career years again and the addition of a 40g scorer this team is worse than last year and that has a lot to do with who they haven’t been able to get rid of.  Hopefully PA/JR will finally be able to subtract a D of significance and a few wingers but past being precedent makes this look unlikely. 
If we can’t move a significant D and don’t get bigger and faster up front we are likely at best fighting for WC next year and that is only if everything goes well, particularly Demko’s health. 

Edited by DrJockitch

1 hour ago, AnthonyG said:

How did he look? I wasnt able to watch the game last night. Curious to know if anything stood out in a good way, if there is some potential showing.

I thought he looked fairly calm out there for a guy in his first game.  Seems to pass really well and is a pretty good skater.  Good job Alvin

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Will be curious if can do anything about D as very unlikely to be able to anything about OEL and Myers until next offseason.

Problem has not been additions to teams (other than the cap problems they have created) but the inability to subtract from the team. 
Even with Q and EP having career years again and the addition of a 40g scorer this team is worse than last year and that has a lot to do with who they haven’t been able to get rid of.  Hopefully PA/JR will finally be able to subtract a D of significance and a few wingers but past being precedent makes this look unlikely. 
If we can’t move a significant D and don’t get bigger and faster up front we are likely at best fighting for WC next year and that is only if everything goes well, particularly Demko’s health. 

They don't call him Trader Jim for nothing.  I actually think they showed this season that they're not afraid of big moves.  They just chose to do it mid-season instead of last summer.  But I'm sure Allvin will openly say he wants to do more at the end-of-season presser.

One player who wasn't there this year was Demko.  Now that he's healthy and playing like we expected, he's stealing games again.  One person who stayed too long was actually Bruce Boudreau.  It obviously wasn't working but for some reason we paraded him for two more months in embarrassing fashion.  I honestly thought management was deliberately tanking for Bedard.  I'm still not over that.

time for a new emoji on this site...Need a HOMER emoji for the fans that are over the top about a particular player or what have you!

let's see if Tocchet plays Delia half the remaining games like he apparently suggested. Give the kids more ice to end the season too...cap EP/JT to no more than 20min a game and Hughes should be under 25 min each game as well.

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

We went from Gillis, who was GM during our most successful era, to Benning who was GM during our worst. I get the feeling our new management is like Gillis. It took him a few years to build the supporting cast around an existing core. This group will do the same. 

Yes Gillis did some really good work, but I hope this management leaves the next group a little more than Benning had to work with.

Both did some good things but if you judge them on their whole body of work it wasn’t good.

Edited by DeNiro