The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Calgary Flames at Vancouver Canucks | Apr. 08, 2023

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

19 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Jeez Higgy where does that leave Scotty Bowman in your assessment of coaches? Scotty regularly did the exact same thing. RT has to walk a fine line between asserting his coaching concepts or having the players do what they think is best. I think only one person can steer the ship. 

There can be only one Captain on the bridge... end off...

Its not a democracy... 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, spook007 said:

Agree, but with the trade for Hronek, they at least seem to be trying to address the issue. Still need at least one more top 4 defensive D-man instead of Myers....

While I firmly believe we overpaid for HornWreck by a wide margin mainly due to timing (buying at TDL - the most expensive time of the year), hopefully he gets better and firmly plugs up one of the current 5 Massive holes on our defense.     If JR & Co. can somehow acquire one or two more above average defensemen then that will be a huge help as our offense has not been so much of an issue. Fingers crossed they finally fix the defensive mess this summer.

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

While I firmly believe we overpaid for HornWreck by a wide margin mainly due to timing (buying at TDL - the most expensive time of the year), hopefully he gets better and firmly plugs up one of the current 5 Massive holes on our defense.     If JR & Co. can somehow acquire one or two more above average defensemen then that will be a huge help as our offense has not been so much of an issue. Fingers crossed they finally fix the defensive mess this summer.

Really? You actually think that a 16-19th OA pick is more valuable than a top 4 young RHD? Sorry my friend but I firmly disagree with you. 

7 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

I think there is zero doubt the phones will be red hot trying to use/move some of our wingers and depth players to either trade for of make cap space for at least 1 Defensive D (hopefully 2) during the offseason.

• Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

Really? You actually think that a 16-19th OA pick is more valuable than a top 4 young RHD? Sorry my friend but I firmly disagree with you. 

Yes and BTW, you forgot to mention the high 2nd round pick we also threw into the deal!  Two high picks in the top 40 players in a very deep draft year > 1 injured defenseman IMO......especially when our cupboards are empty!

4 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Yes and BTW, you forgot to mention the high 2nd round pick we also threw into the deal!  Two high picks in the top 40 players in a very deep draft year > 1 injured defenseman IMO......especially when our cupboards are empty!

Yes, our cupboards were extremely low…on a good young RHD. As for the picks, don’t be so sure that this 16-19th OA or second end up being pros, never mind a bonafide top 4 defender.

Don’t be so concerned about his injury. They wouldn’t have made the trade if it was career altering. I’m sure he underwent medical checks.

Edited by grandmaster
  • Cheers 1

On 4/9/2023 at 9:04 AM, stawns said:

I don't blame him at all.  He's right

On 4/9/2023 at 9:08 AM, spook007 said:

Have you slated him?

I know, I haven't, so I feel it's a disappointing statement.

Have you watched a game @ UBS Arena recently @stawns

Like what the heck are you even talking about? 

https://theathletic.com/3973879/2022/12/07/nhl-attendance-stadium-tickets/

Vancouver was ranked 4th in the league in attendance by Dec 2022 while playing god awful hockey, the Isles playing in a new state of the art arena was 8th worst in the league. That's 20 spots down.... 

That being said, the gap isn't as big as it seems due to arena capacity factor. 

UBS is still running at 90 percent cap

Rogers Arena is at 99.8 percent cap

Vancouver has a passionate fan base. We have horvat defenders here and ppl that criticize him. The treatment Horvat got here isn't even close to what Miller gets yet even with Miller, we have passionate fans like Deb who support him through thick and thin. 

We are a franchise that's never won a cup, never had a dynasty like Bossy and his era yet we bleed canucks and continue to fill the arena and post on this board even after we miss the playoffs. 

For a former captain to say what he said was indeed stupid. It is also probably a good decision to let him go because it further shows that horvat prefers to play in anonymity in a city where they probably wouldn't even recognize him and couldn't handle the pressure of being the captain for a hockey pressure market like Vancouver. 

I don't think the fans will change. We aren't going to dilute ourselves and be mediocre level passion. We want players that want to be in a hockey market that feed off the energy. 

Again, I'm glad Horvat got paid but even happier that it's not from us and we have a nice return for trading him. 

I hope he has a good playoff run because signing that big contract is going to add pressure on him once this honeymoon is over and clearly, he doesn't like pressure. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, CanucksJay said:

Have you watched a game @ UBS Arena recently @stawns

Like what the heck are you even talking about? 

https://theathletic.com/3973879/2022/12/07/nhl-attendance-stadium-tickets/

Vancouver was ranked 4th in the league in attendance by Dec 2022 while playing god awful hockey, the Isles playing in a new state of the art arena was 8th worst in the league. That's 20 spots down.... 

That being said, the gap isn't as big as it seems due to arena capacity factor. 

UBS is still running at 90 percent cap

Rogers Arena is at 99.8 percent cap

Vancouver has a passionate fan base. We have horvat defenders here and ppl that criticize him. The treatment Horvat got here isn't even close to what Miller gets yet even with Miller, we have passionate fans like Deb who support him through thick and thin. 

We are a franchise that's never won a cup, never had a dynasty like Bossy and his era yet we bleed canucks and continue to fill the arena and post on this board even after we miss the playoffs. 

For a former captain to say what he said was indeed stupid. It is also probably a good decision to let him go because it further shows that horvat prefers to play in anonymity in a city where they probably wouldn't even recognize him and couldn't handle the pressure of being the captain for a hockey pressure market like Vancouver. 

I don't think the fans will change. We aren't going to dilute ourselves and be mediocre level passion. We want players that want to be in a hockey market that feed off the energy. 

Again, I'm glad Horvat got paid but even happier that it's not from us and we have a nice return for trading him. 

I hope he has a good playoff run because signing that big contract is going to add pressure on him once this honeymoon is over and clearly, he doesn't like pressure. 

This is so true...

Passionate fans can be hard on their team and players, if they don't play to their potential, but on the other hand, if they led Vancouver to a cup, they probably won't have to pay for a drink for the rest of their lives... (not that it would be a problem anyways), and they'll be treated like gods here forever... not sure that'll be the same in NY...

As for being treated poorly... LE was treated harshly (he was very poor, but mainly because of his contract), Myers has a big target on his back, Brock has gotten severe stick at times, but for a bit of unhappiness about the lack of fight from Bo, I don't recall him being a target for the boo boys...

So yes it was a ridiculous thing to say under the circumstances. And his apology also left a bit to be desired... Good luck to Bo, but he is history...

13 minutes ago, spook007 said:

This is so true...

Passionate fans can be hard on their team and players, if they don't play to their potential, but on the other hand, if they led Vancouver to a cup, they probably won't have to pay for a drink for the rest of their lives... (not that it would be a problem anyways), and they'll be treated like gods here forever... not sure that'll be the same in NY...

As for being treated poorly... LE was treated harshly (he was very poor, but mainly because of his contract), Myers has a big target on his back, Brock has gotten severe stick at times, but for a bit of unhappiness about the lack of fight from Bo, I don't recall him being a target for the boo boys...

So yes it was a ridiculous thing to say under the circumstances. And his apology also left a bit to be desired... Good luck to Bo, but he is history...

Yup, there are guys like Bieksa that love Vancouver and the hockey market here. The Sedins are still a part of the organization. 

When you play well in Vancouver, like you said, they are the toast of the town. If you sign a big contract and don't produce though, you'll hear about it. 

If you want to be that guy who signs a big contract but don't want the accountability, you're in the wrong city. 

• Cheers 1