The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Today is Toews' Last Game as a Hawk...

Rate this topic

1 hour ago, shiznak said:

That’s 45-55 points in a full season. 

Toews would have been 6th in scoring on the Knights and Panthers, if he played a full season. 

That’s pretty mediocre for a top 6 forward. That’s the kind of production I would expect from a 3rd liner.

• Wat 1

1 hour ago, Citizen Erased said:

That’s pretty mediocre for a top 6 forward. That’s the kind of production I would expect from a 3rd liner.

Not for a 34yrs old. 

Factor in, he hasn’t been full healthy since 2019, has been playing on a rebuilding team, and has always produced 50-70 points, in his career. 30 points in 53 game is pretty decent for a top 6 player at that age.

• Vintage 1

On 8/18/2023 at 3:08 AM, Citizen Erased said:

It’s possible. Like others have stated though, he was an apologist for the management group, definitely knew of the sexual abuse and was probably apart of the group of players harassing and bullying Beach afterwards. Even if not true, it’s probably suspected and teams will want to avoid any controversy and scandal by signing him. It really doesn’t matter though. He’s done as a player. 

Hawks basically went unpunished in the whole incident, I doubt the reason why he hasn't landed a team yet has anything to do with the Beach incident. 

In all honesty the NHL are probably glad the Beach incident took over a decade to come out. The league wanted the Hawks to be a dynasty team since all the major Americans teams at the time were pretty average (of course Bruins and Kings would also become top teams shortly after). I remember it was Rey Ferraro (i think) he said the ESPN deal in the 2000's was kind of a mess partly because all the major US teams were quite mediocre at the time. I would think the NHL is grateful that the Hawks had the dynasty that they had and probably helped in their leagues TV deal negotiations. 

Edited by iinatcc

5 hours ago, Citizen Erased said:

When's the last time, a Canuck 3rd liner scored 45-55 points?  Someone who just plays on the third line?   

My bet it was Dixon Ward, 52 points  in 1992-93, by far our best offensive season.   

If a 3rd liner is doing that today , he's likely elite.   Give him more minutes and some PP time for sure! 

Edited by IBatch
  • Vintage 1

22 hours ago, IBatch said:

When's the last time, a Canuck 3rd liner scored 45-55 points?  Someone who just plays on the third line?   

My bet it was Dixon Ward, 52 points  in 1992-93, by far our best offensive season.   

If a 3rd liner is doing that today , he's likely elite.   Give him more minutes and some PP time for sure!

Man he was the king of the Sophomore Jinx.  That 52 point season was his rookie year...the very next year he had 7 points in 33 games before the Canucks cut bait and traded him for the ghost of Jimmy Carson.  Ward managed to reclaim his 40 point form a few more times elsewhere though.

I remember at the time in 1989 people were calling it the Sophomore Jinx when Trevor Linden only had 51 points in his second season.

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Vintage 1

On 8/19/2023 at 5:22 AM, IBatch said:

Tbh I think Kesler might have done that or was at least close. I think Malhotra might have too, if not for the eye injury, at least on the lower end of that range.

On 8/22/2023 at 8:56 PM, Citizen Erased said:

Tbh I think Kesler might have done that or was at least close. I think Malhotra might have too, if not for the eye injury, at least on the lower end of that range.

I checked.  That's how far back you need to go.