The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Today is Toews' Last Game as a Hawk...

Rate this topic

• 4 months later...

It’s difficult to have any sympathy for anyone involved in the Kyle Beach scandal.

It’s a complete 360 for someone like Brandon Sutter, who many Canuck fans would say he was no good for us, but at the same time have no qualms with his character because he’s actually a good person. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, Citizen Erased said:

It’s difficult to have any sympathy for anyone involved in the Kyle Beach scandal.

It’s a complete 360 for someone like Brandon Sutter, who many Canuck fans would say he was no good for us, but at the same time have no qualms with his character because he’s actually a good person. 

Wouldn't want to be the GM who brought in a locker room cancer like this waste of oxygen.  Imagine having a guy who was ok with having you raped for a teammate.  He's done and good riddance.

31 minutes ago, Citizen Erased said:

Didn't Sutter tell Goldobin or one of the Canucks rookies at the time to grow some balls though? :bigblush:

50 minutes ago, Citizen Erased said:

Sutter had his moments. Just our luck that he got injury prone here but was solid before. 

• Cheers 2

so, is he taking 'time off' from hockey similar to Jordan taking time off to try baseball?

the whole world knew that he was 'suspended' probably for gambling, but he took time off instead of the media crap show. 

3 hours ago, Citizen Erased said:

Do you think that's why there are no offers?  Or is he just getting old?

I read a lot of the Beach report when it came out and other than being a bit of a jerk, Toews and Beach had almost nothing to do with each other.  Beach was a career minor leaguer and played zero games for the Hawks.   He finished his career in Europe after essentially 5 seasons with the Icehogs.

edit:  Not condoning what happened to Beach.  What happened is despicable and those involved should be punished.  However these things aren't talked about by those involved and the Beach report concluded that only a handful of the top brass knew anything about it.

Edited by Crabcakes

1 minute ago, Crabcakes said:

Do you think that's why there are no offers?  Or is he just getting old?

I read a lot of the Beach report when it came out and other than being a bit of a jerk, Toews and Beach had almost nothing to do with each other.  Beach was a career minor leaguer and played zero games for the Hawks.   He finished his career in Europe after essentially 5 seasons with the Icehogs.

It’s possible. Like others have stated though, he was an apologist for the management group, definitely knew of the sexual abuse and was probably apart of the group of players harassing and bullying Beach afterwards. Even if not true, it’s probably suspected and teams will want to avoid any controversy and scandal by signing him. It really doesn’t matter though. He’s done as a player. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Citizen Erased said:

It’s possible. Like others have stated though, he was an apologist for the management group, definitely knew of the sexual abuse and was probably apart of the group of players harassing and bullying Beach afterwards. Even if not true, it’s probably suspected and teams will want to avoid any controversy and scandal by signing him. It really doesn’t matter though. He’s done as a player. 

It's possible that some players knew.  But nobody was talking after the fact.  Was what happened at the the player level normal hazing?  Because hazing has been part of the hockey culture.  Or was there more to it?  It's all pretty murky at this point.

Anyhow,  I think he's done too.  He had a helluva career.  Not the only jerk to ever lace em up.

22 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

It's possible that some players knew.  But nobody was talking after the fact.  Was what happened at the the player level normal hazing?  Because hazing has been part of the hockey culture.  Or was there more to it?  It's all pretty murky at this point.

Anyhow,  I think he's done too.  He had a helluva career.  Not the only jerk to ever lace em up.

I wouldn’t call it normal hazing. The players knew about the abuse and taunted Beach about it. Homophobic slurs were directed at him and I believe they gaslit him. 

3 minutes ago, Citizen Erased said:

I wouldn’t call it normal hazing. The players knew about the abuse and taunted Beach about it. Homophobic slurs were directed at him and I believe they gaslit him. 

Exactly.  Bottom line is that no one is going to want a locker room cancer like Toews anywhere near their young players.  You don't bring in a fringe player who will disgrace your franchise with his mere presence.

3 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Exactly.  Bottom line is that no one is going to want a locker room cancer like Toews anywhere near their young players.  You don't bring in a fringe player who will disgrace your franchise with his mere presence.

You know what’s truly horrible? If he was still a top 6 forward, a lot of teams would overlook or try to downplay what happened and then sign him. 

9 hours ago, Citizen Erased said:

I never heard anything about that. I would be disappointed if true though. Still doesn’t compare to Toews however. 

"Desjardins’ all-stick-no-carrot approach seemed to open up the door for his veterans to chime in, with Brandon Sutter notably calling out Goldobin for his play away from the puck. “You have to have the want to get the puck to go into the corners and the hard areas,” said Sutter. “To do that, you have to have grit and balls and he has to find that.”"

https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/courier-archive/news/brandon-sutters-balls-and-a-culture-of-negativity-3049700

22 hours ago, Citizen Erased said:

You know what’s truly horrible? If he was still a top 6 forward, a lot of teams would overlook or try to downplay what happened and then sign him. 

He scored 31 points in 53 games. 

Pretty sure that’s top 6 production. 

1 hour ago, Citizen Erased said:

In which universe?

That’s 45-55 points in a full season. 

Toews would have been 6th in scoring on the Knights and Panthers, if he played a full season. 

Edited by shiznak