The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Today is Toews' Last Game as a Hawk...

Rate this topic

1 minute ago, Kevin Biestra said:

I have him in the HOF but I think it was a big mistake for the NHL to include him in their 100 greatest players of all time list...over Dale Hawerchuk among others.

Hawerchuk was fabulous. He got caught in that Gretzky wave. Did he win a Cup as a key player? I think winning Cups as a key guy impacts rankings. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Hawerchuk was fabulous. He got caught in that Gretzky wave. Did he win a Cup as a key player? I think winning Cups as a key guy impacts rankings. 

Didn't get Clark Gillies, Gerry Cheevers, Guy Lapointe etc. onto that list though.

Denis Savard made it onto the list - Hawerchuk's equivalent or perhaps a fraction of a hair below him as a player - and only won a Cup as a declining support guy in Montreal.

Also no Cups for Darryl Sittler on the list among some others...like Lindros and Bure.

Edited by Kevin Biestra

Just now, Kevin Biestra said:

He could be a pretty useful guy like Trottier on the Penguins if he wants to take one of those cheap deals to be on a winner.  I remember Teemu Selanne signed for $1M for a year just to play with Kariya again.

With utmost respect to a great leader and outstanding player, he is done and would provide nothing to Vancouver that would push them forward. Unless -30 this year and -44 combined over the last two seasons is in any way helpful to young Vancouver team.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

12 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

With utmost respect to a great leader and outstanding player, he is done and would provide nothing to Vancouver that would push them forward. Unless -30 this year and -44 combined over the last two seasons is in any way helpful to young Vancouver team.

That is a lot like what Trottier's last two years on the Islanders looked like.  I don't think the Canucks are the right place for Toews...in no small part because there is no reason for someone like him to take a mega discount contract to play on the Canucks.  But a Corey Perry type deal with Tampa or something...that's pretty much exactly what Trottier did in Pittsburgh and he got back to back Cups.

20 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

He could be a pretty useful guy like Trottier on the Penguins if he wants to take one of those cheap deals to be on a winner.  I remember Teemu Selanne signed for $1M for a year just to play with Kariya again.

1 year of Toews with our core group, could do wonders. The guy won 3 cups, not to mention on the world stage.

I'd say it's worth the chance.

Just now, VegasCanuck said:

1 year of Toews with our core group, could do wonders. The guy won 3 cups, not to mention on the world stage.

I'd say it's worth the chance.

Oh if he would sign for $1M in Vancouver sure I would take him.  He just wouldn't...there's no reason to.  There is a reason to do so in Tampa or Boston or even Edmonton etc.

And Corey Perry might be wearing out his superveteran welcome in Tampa.  I don't know how he managed to do it but he is -28 this year.  On the Lightning.  Nobody else is worse than -10.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Oh if he would sign for $1M in Vancouver sure I would take him.  He just wouldn't...there's no reason to.  There is a reason to do so in Tampa or Boston or even Edmonton etc.

And Corey Perry might be wearing out his superveteran welcome in Tampa.  I don't know how he managed to do it but he is -28 this year.  On the Lightning.  Nobody else is worse than -10.

I'm not saying he would, he'll have a lot of options if he decides to continue playing. However, if you look at our current developing core, with Pettersson, Hughes and Demko, there's a lot of upside. We should be a solid playoff team next season with a good defensive structure in place. We missed the playoff this season, more due to lack of structured defensive play than anything else. The new coaching group has done a pretty good job so far of addressing that issue, and Demko is looking like he did a couple of years ago.

1 minute ago, VegasCanuck said:

I'm not saying he would, he'll have a lot of options if he decides to continue playing. However, if you look at our current developing core, with Pettersson, Hughes and Demko, there's a lot of upside. We should be a solid playoff team next season with a good defensive structure in place. We missed the playoff this season, more due to lack of structured defensive play than anything else. The new coaching group has done a pretty good job so far of addressing that issue, and Demko is looking like he did a couple of years ago.

Yeah I mean if you look at the bubble run Canucks as the 1989 team and this upcoming year as something like 1993 or 1994, Toews could fit in well as the Murray Craven.  What the team really needs desperately is the Babych, Diduck and Murzyn.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Yeah I mean if you look at the bubble run Canucks as the 1989 team and this upcoming year as something like 1993 or 1994, Toews could fit in well as the Murray Craven.  What the team really needs desperately is the Babych, Diduck and Murzyn.

Yup, agree, a Dana Murzyn but with better skating ability :)

I was expecting this to be a Toews slander thread. I'm glad it didn't turn into that. He's had an amazing career and was a treat to watch (when he wasn't playing us). 

The beach thing doesn't look great for sure, however, I'll laugh in the face at any internet warrior on CDC that thinks they would have done something different as a 21 year old kid.

And that's all I have to say about that. 

• Wat 2

22 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

One of the more respectable players from the 2009-2011 Hawks teams. A fierce competitor. The whole Beach thing is a bit of a stain on his career though.

I find it hard to respect him after that. If Sopel knew about it there is no way Toews, Kane, Keith, and Q didn't.

Edited by canuck73_3
  • Cheers 2
  • There it is 1