• Devils in 5
    • Devils in 6
    • Devils in 7
    • Rangers in 4
    • Rangers in 5
    • Rangers in 6
    • Rangers in 7

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/20/2023 at 11:30 PM

11 hours ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

I know this goes against the rock'em sock'em mentality of this community, but Trouba is a dirty player and this was a dirty hit.  Everyone gets that it was legal.  But this was a high hit with the intent to injure.  He does it all the time.  They don't belong in the NHL.  Just because a player has his head down (which Meier actually wasn't) doesn't mean it's open season on you - not anymore.  It used to be a thing to go headhunting to rile up your team, but the sport has moved on.  The CTE and lifetime anguish simply isn't worth it.

This is like telling a boxer who has punching power not to use it (within the rules).  If I know my opponent has KO potential you better believe Im aware of that, yet that doesnt mean it still cant happen.  I guarantee you Meier takes responsibility on that play for not being aware.  He got caught and rocked-its as simple as that.  

7 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I don't miss Torres stupid penalties and suspensions. I'd far rather have a Donald Brashear. A guy who could skate, fight, and score the odd goal.

He was suspended once w the Canucks, not to mention he was a good skater and scorer? And given his wrecking ball reputation I doubt guys wanted to drop the gloves w him either.

Canucks sorely lack a Raffi Torres. Canucks need a Zadarov/McNabb/Gudas/Paul/Wilson type of player. I bet guys like Miller & Joshua would play a bigger game with someone like that on the team.  

13 minutes ago, Angry Goose said:

This is like telling a boxer who has punching power not to use it (within the rules).  If I know my opponent has KO potential you better believe Im aware of that, yet that doesnt mean it still cant happen.  I guarantee you Meier takes responsibility on that play for not being aware.  He got caught and rocked-its as simple as that.  

He was suspended once w the Canucks, not to mention he was a good skater and scorer? And given his wrecking ball reputation I doubt guys wanted to drop the gloves w him either.

Canucks sorely lack a Raffi Torres. Canucks need a Zadarov/McNabb/Gudas/Paul/Wilson type of player. I bet guys like Miller & Joshua would play a bigger game with someone like that on the team.  

The boxing analogy proves my point, though.  The NHL enforcer is dead.  There are tough players and grinders willing the drop the gloves on a bad hit, but it's not their primary job to fight anymore.  I'm saying that the bruiser role (the one that goes for bone-crushing hits) is also slowly dying.  Nobody should be knocking each other out in hockey anymore.  Too much science and too many ex-players who have suffered and killed themselves.  Hockey has evolved. 

Meier did not have his head down.  He saw what was happening and took a low posture to maintain control of the puck.  Trouba saw that, and decided to lay his entire body straight into Meier's head.  Trouba... is a dirty ass player.  He toes that line of what's legal and what's not.  But even when hits are legal (like yesterday), there is always an intent to injure.  He always goes for a very high hit and aims upwards.  Considering the outcome of this hit, are you happy with this remaining in the sport?  A bone-crushing hit for sure, just like the old days.  But one that has resulted in a brain injury that has potentially serious long-term consequences for someone.  Check these two shots by Trouba from one single series last year.  

10 hours ago, rekker said:

Fox is overrated in my opinion. I'd take Hughes over Fox going forward all day and every day.

That's what I've thought too, but he did put up 8 points in 7 games, and his regular season numbers have been incredible. But then I watch him skate and I'm kind of baffled. I've obviously watched way more of Hughes, but yeah, I'd take Hughes over Fox.

• Cheers 1

57 minutes ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

The boxing analogy proves my point, though.  The NHL enforcer is dead.  There are tough players and grinders willing the drop the gloves on a bad hit, but it's not their primary job to fight anymore.  I'm saying that the bruiser role (the one that goes for bone-crushing hits) is also slowly dying.  Nobody should be knocking each other out in hockey anymore.  Too much science and too many ex-players who have suffered and killed themselves.  Hockey has evolved. 

Meier did not have his head down.  He saw what was happening and took a low posture to maintain control of the puck.  Trouba saw that, and decided to lay his entire body straight into Meier's head.  Trouba... is a dirty ass player.  He toes that line of what's legal and what's not.  But even when hits are legal (like yesterday), there is always an intent to injure.  He always goes for a very high hit and aims upwards.  Considering the outcome of this hit, are you happy with this remaining in the sport?  A bone-crushing hit for sure, just like the old days.  But one that has resulted in a brain injury that has potentially serious long-term consequences for someone.  Check these two shots by Trouba from one single series last year.  

No, you misunderstood my point. Trouba’s ability for heavy body checks is like a boxer’s punching power ability.  Both are attributes.  

You saying Trouba specifically targeted the head in this case imo is an exaggeration. A fair minded viewing of Trouba’s posture is just like any other solid, lined up bodycheck.  Meier lapsed for a moment and got crushed-mostly through the body but got his head rung too.  

Like in boxing, if you get caught leaning forward and unaware, its going to hurt. Its an inherent risk and consented to.  

Luckily Meier is OK but dont conflate your opinion of Trouba with what happened.  The videos affirm your distaste of Trouba but I dont see anything that shocks me, all things considered.