The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Proposal) Vancouver & Columbus

3 minutes ago, Seannnp said:

We're missing the 2nd rounder for Garland, who I actually think has more of a 3rd round pick value given term left on his contract and his cap hit. Not negative value though like some tend to believe. I dont believe Demko gets that 1st rounder. Maybe an equivalent prospect. I just dont find goalies to have that much value in trades. 

We can either take out Garland all together, or we try to even things up by asking for a 3rd rounder this year, or a 2nd rounder next year. 

I could totally see Peeke, Marchenko, and that 34OA for Demko.  Mind you the 34OA is a 2nd round pick, but I valued it as a 1st this year since it's a deep draft.

Miller would be more valuable than that.  So I still think we're missing a 1st round pick somewhere along with that 2nd/3rd.

3 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I could totally see Peeke, Marchenko, and that 34OA for Demko.  Mind you the 34OA is a 2nd round pick, but I valued it as a 1st this year since it's a deep draft.

Miller would be more valuable than that.  So I still think we're missing a 1st round pick somewhere along with that 2nd/3rd.

Miller 

Demko 

Garland

McWard

for 

Peeke

Roslovic

Johnson

Cap dump 

34th OA

1st in 2024 (top 3 protected)

Would this work? 

2 minutes ago, Seannnp said:

Miller 

Demko 

Garland

McWard

for 

Peeke

Roslovic

Johnson

Cap dump 

34th OA

1st in 2024 (top 3 protected)

Would this work? 

Cap dumps are generally negative value.  So it depends on who the cap dump is I guess?

10 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Cap dumps are generally negative value.  So it depends on who the cap dump is I guess?

anyone that we could take back to even some of the salary and then bury in the minor or something. Deals like this like the recent one CLB was involved in takes a lot of creativity given how many pieces are moving. I think if a deal like this happens, it makes next year a fine tuning year and we are ready to compete in 2024-2025

With the amount of pieces coming back to Van, we could also package something up and try to get someone better than Johnson or Peeke, etc. Package our 3rds/4ths and that 34th to maybe get another top 15-20 1st rounder. Lots of options after a deal like this. 

Kuzmenko Petterson Mikhayev 

Hoglander Johnson Boeser 

Beauvillier Roslovic Podkolzin

McDonaugh Aman Joshua

Hughes Peeke

OEL Hronek 

Hirose Burroughs 

Jarry 

Silovs 

8 hours ago, Seannnp said:

That should definitely be the way they should be building things, but you cant add talented star players for nothing. Have to give to get. Adding Miller (who I do not want to trade) would be amazing for some of thier young players. 

Vancouver is trying to target 26 and younger - would expect CBJ to also be aiming for that age range or if older than shorter term than Miller's 7 years.

The players they are building around are much younger than Vancouver and it's going to take some time for them to hit their stride.  Sillinger, Johnson, Jiricek, are still work in progress while in Vancouver Pettersson, Hughes have already arrived.  As much as CBJ wants to make the playoffs it's still going to take time for their team to become contenders and there's a risk that Miller is no longer an effective player then.  

CBJ has now amassed enough high end talent to think it's time to come out of their rebuild.  Can't see them wanting to move from those players just yet when they still see them with all that potential.  They used the Kings 1st round pick to add Provorov - they didn't remove from their pool of talent.  Don't see 3rd overall available as they hope to draft that franchise changing C1 per president Davidson.  

Provorov was drafted the same year as Werenski (2015 while Miller was 2011) and has 2 years left to his deal vs 7 years.   Kekaleinen also highlighting how they have good young Ds coming in the future and the short term/cap fit.    

An elite goalie can mask a lot of issues and gives more room for growth/mistakes.  Would think that's more the focus than adding up front - they are also getting Texier back and have just signed Voronkov who they believe is NHL ready.  Wonder if they won't be looking for a more proven RD - Peeke, Boqvist look more like 3rd pairing Ds so it was rather important that they at least add another top-4 D to Werenski. 

There is a cap crunch league wide if the NHL/NHLPA can't agree on a larger cap increase (even then).  There are just so many teams trying to create cap room.  Last year CBJ had to trade Bjorkstrand for only a 3rd + 4th round pick.  Not only poor return but had to trade a better player than they wanted because they couldn't find takers for others.  Would expect CBJ to be looking at that type of deal in reverse or the Pacioretty one vs removing a high end prospect from their rebuild.

Edited by mll
  • Cheers 1

9 hours ago, mll said:

Vancouver is trying to target 26 and younger - would expect CBJ to also be aiming for that age range or if older than shorter term than Miller's 7 years.

The players they are building around are much younger than Vancouver and it's going to take some time for them to hit their stride.  Sillinger, Johnson, Jiricek, are still work in progress while in Vancouver Pettersson, Hughes have already arrived.  As much as CBJ wants to make the playoffs it's still going to take time for their team to become contenders and there's a risk that Miller is no longer an effective player then.  

CBJ has now amassed enough high end talent to think it's time to come out of their rebuild.  Can't see them wanting to move from those players just yet when they still see them with all that potential.  They used the Kings 1st round pick to add Provorov - they didn't remove from their pool of talent.  Don't see 3rd overall available as they hope to draft that franchise changing C1 per president Davidson.  

Provorov was drafted the same year as Werenski (2015 while Miller was 2011) and has 2 years left to his deal vs 7 years.   Kekaleinen also highlighting how they have good young Ds coming in the future and the short term/cap fit.    

An elite goalie can mask a lot of issues and gives more room for growth/mistakes.  Would think that's more the focus than adding up front - they are also getting Texier back and have just signed Voronkov who they believe is NHL ready.  Wonder if they won't be looking for a more proven RD - Peeke, Boqvist look more like 3rd pairing Ds so it was rather important that they at least add another top-4 D to Werenski. 

There is a cap crunch league wide if the NHL/NHLPA can't agree on a larger cap increase (even then).  There are just so many teams trying to create cap room.  Last year CBJ had to trade Bjorkstrand for only a 3rd + 4th round pick.  Not only poor return but had to trade a better player than they wanted because they couldn't find takers for others.  Would expect CBJ to be looking at that type of deal in reverse or the Pacioretty one vs removing a high end prospect from their rebuild.

CBJ just signed Severson to a $6.25M x 8yr deal.  So apparently age and term are no longer a factor.  Seems like CBJ is wanting to go all in.

• Like 1
  • There it is 1

7 minutes ago, BPA said:

CBJ just signed Severson to a $6.25M x 8yr deal.  So apparently age and term are no longer a factor.  Seems like CBJ is wanting to go all in.

Yup. The Jackets are all in right now. Their key guys are getting older and it's go time. 

Miller + 11 for 3 + Guddy

47 minutes ago, BPA said:

33 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Yup. The Jackets are all in right now. Their key guys are getting older and it's go time. 

Miller + 11 for 3 + Guddy

I've been saying it for awhile.  You just need to look at which players are locked in longer term to see what a team is gonna do. 

Gaudreau 29yo

Jenner 29yo

Guddy 31yo (still dunno why they did this lol)

Merzlikins 29yo (a real indicator when your #1G is signed long term at 29yo)

Laine and Werenski were their younger core guys at 25yo.  Now Provorov has come in at 26yo and Severson at 28yo. 

I could see Roslovic being dangled as he's a UFA this year, and Peeke as well to open up some room for Boqvist and/or Jiricek.

They'd probably want to keep Johnson and Sillinger, but I feel like one of them will need to go if they want a real impact player in return.

My proposal:

Sillinger

Roslovic

Peeke

for

Miller

Petey (D) -- they're a bit light on LHD

2 hours ago, BPA said:

Was wondering if they wouldn't try and bring in a more proven top-4 RD.  Kekaleinen sounds more than done with their rebuild - it's a given that they want to be a playoff team but that's not quite the same as going all in to contend.

CBJ finished with the 2nd worse record.  Severson is UFA.  Several teams looking for RDs.   Is it really them going all in or the price to pay to convince him to by-pass free agency and sign with them.  

It's not unusual for bad teams to have to overpay to bring in good players.  When Vancouver were trying to sign vets like Beagle/Roussel they had to up the AAV, give extra years and add some form of NTC because they weren't a very good team.  Feels more like this kind of situation vs a sign that CBJ thinks they can contend next season.  

Fwiw Portzline speculated whether CBJ would give up 3rd overall to bring in Lindholm who has chemistry with Gaudreau.  Friedman doesn't think CBJ is willing to trade the pick - too many good players available.  

Edited by mll

There probably is a deal to be made with them, on paper that team looks rock solid. They now have arguably some of the best defencemen in the league on the same roster (although each one could be very sloppy defensively). Up front they have some very exciting young kids along with some scoring wingers who should be in their prime. They're really lacking a top line center for sure, hoping Roslovic and Jenner will share that role a bit like how Boston has done without a true >PPG scorer.

If they wanted they could try and upgrade one of them by attaching a defenceman.

For example, Roslovic + Peeke + pick for Miller

No chance we get their 1st but 2nd round pick is basically a late first, I'd certainly consider this deal.

Roslovic is a 40-50pt center, really a 3C but maybe a 2C on a lot of bad teams. We take a real hit up front but get a good partner for Hughes and with the pick, probably take a defenceman like Willander, Lindstein, Strbak (if he's still around), Gulyayev/Dragicevic/Bonk etc. who might be a couple of years away. We get a bit younger and save some cap too (around 2M) but you could argue we balance our team. It's risky in that Peeke may be trash, but also risky for CBJ because Miller may slow down any minute now, but the potential benefit for both teams is massive - we might get a 20+ minute top physical RD and another top-4 defenceman, and CBJ may get their stud two-way 80+pt center to re-ignite Gaudreau and Laine's careers.

It's a risky, interesting trade both ways but heck I'd do it for fun.

With the extra 2M cap space, we sign a 3C like Kampf. 

Offence/points-wise, we lose a what, 70-80 point guy in Miller, but gain a 40-50 point guy in Roslovic, get 10-20 points out of Peeke and 25-30 points out of Kampf so it's pretty similar all-up, just spread out a bit more. Lose top quality for depth.

Mikheyev - Pettersson - Kuzmenko

Garland - Roslovic - Boeser

PDG - Kampf - Beauvillier

Joshua - Aman - Hoglander

Hughes - Peeke

OEL - Hronek

Hirose - Myers

Rathbone

I've harped on about trading our wingers for defencemen but if it takes Miller, so be it, then we probably can't afford to lose much more skill/scoring up front.