The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(PROPOSAL) PHI - VAN

What are thoughts on trying to shed a contract (and a sweetener if necessary) to PHI for C Scott Laughton?

We would have a heart and soul ideal 3rd line C who might thrive as a Tocchet guy. He is 29 but he has term at a cheap hit of only 3mill. 

According to the article below, PHI is in rebuild and in need of a RW, so thoughts on this:?

Garland and 3rd rounder 

for

Laughton 

Some might think this is an overpayment but in all fairness, a quality 3rd line C who is defensively strong and plays gritty is a hot commodity. 

With Garland they get younger, fill a need, and take on a little more salary that can play anywhere in their top 9. Add a 3rd for any difference in parity and I think this is a viable way for us to start structuring lines and roster positions effectively. 

Not sure there is a better option in FA in terms of player, but at least acquisition cost that route is only the contract value. 

I just think this works for both clubs.

We immediately get what we need positionally, create cap space and put a dent in the surplus winger problem. 

https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/canucks-whos-best-bet-among-five-candidates-for-third-line-centre-position/wcm/dc5143f7-901e-413c-882b-6408597ab46f/amp/

Canucks: Who's best bet among five candidates for third-line centre position? 

'I’d like a guy who can take face-offs, and it’s a priority to have a grittier guy who can settle things down. It’s hard to find.' — Canucks head coach Rick Tocchet.

For the Vancouver Canucks, addressing a pressing need for a third-line centre is far from a perfect pursuit. They have exceeded the salary cap ceiling, and the trade route is the most viable avenue to create flexibility to take on an existing contract. 

They could also kick the free agency tires and go into sticker shock.

A veteran centre who excels in matchups, is defensively diligent, kills penalties, takes defensive zone face-offs, and contributes offensively is on the wish list.

There’s the want and the need, but the Canucks can’t lose sight of being prudent — either with the cap or assets.

“I’d like a guy who can take face-offs, and it’s a priority to have a grittier guy who can settle things down,” Canucks head coach Rick Tocchet said at his year-end address. “It’s hard to find.”

Or, it can be relatively easy.

Imagine William Karlsson as your third-line centre?

The Vegas Golden Knights used leverage and generous NHL expansion rules to build a foundation that led to capturing the Stanley Cup on Tuesday in the franchise’s sixth season. 

In the 2017 expansion draft, the Golden Knights knew the Columbus Blue Jackets didn’t want to part with Karlsson, who was their best penalty killer and teased of offensive potential. 

However, the Blue Jackets were going to lose a player under protection rules, and didn’t want to part with winger Josh Anderson, goaltender Joonas Korpisalo, or defenceman Jack Johnson.

Columbus traded a first-round pick in 2017, a second in 2019, and got the Golden Knights to take on the contract of injured forward David Clarkson to ensure the Golden Knights could pick Karlsson.

Karlsson became part of “The Glolden Misfits” — one of six original franchise players who hoisted the Cup this week. 

Karlsson, 30, had 11 playoff goals in 22 games, won 54.4 per cent of his draws, centred the second power-play unit, and was on the first penalty-kill pairing. He was also first in take-aways and fourth in blocked shots.

He can also moved up the line-up, and is on the books for four more seasons at an annual $5.9-million US cap hit.

As for the Canucks, they know rookie Nils Aman and veteran Sheldon Dries weren’t the answers. They need to buy time forcentres Aatu Raty and Max Sasson to develop in Abbotsford. 

In the interim, here are five centres of attention:

Scott Laughton, 29, Philadelphia, Acquired: No. 20, 2012 draft.

The status: Three more seasons at $3-million annual cap hit. 

The stats: GP: 519, G: 82, A: 117, Pts: 199. 

The skinny: Coming off an 18-goal, 43-point season on a bad team 18 points shy of a wild-card spot. Flyers are in re-build mode and listening to trade offers. Laughton won’t come cheap, if they move him. Canucks can dangle a right winger and the Flyers could use one. 

The bottom line: Checks boxes. Third in team hits among forwards, fourth in blocked shots, first penalty-kill unit, second power play, 47.3 per cent in circle. 

Alex Kerfoot, 28, Toronto, Acquired: 2019 trade. No. 50, 2012 draft (Devils).

The status: UFA. Expiring four-year, $14-million contract. 

The stats: GP: 442, G: 74, A: 145, Pts: 219. 

The skinny: Ten goals and 51 points don’t tell the whole story. Played third-line centre and second-line wing, second power-play unit. Logged third most PK time on league’s fourth-ranked unit.

The bottom line: Is there a discount for the Vancouver native to come home? If not, he may be too pricey. Canucks’ interest dates to 2017 in college free agency and 2021 had Brandon Sutter not re-signed. 

David Kampf, 28, Toronto, Undrafted, Acquired: Free agency, 2021.

The status: UFA. Expiring two-year, $3-million contract. 

The stats: GP: 399, G: 35, A: 76, Pts: 111. 

The skinny: Became fourth-liner with deadline addition of Ryan O’Reilly. Seven goals and 27 points. Fourth among club forwards in take-aways, first penalty-kill pairing, and 51.5 per cent efficient in face-offs, including 444 wins, 342 losses at even strength. 

The bottom line: Not a lot of free agency leverage. Could be fall-back position play in cap crunch.

J.T. Compher, 28, Colorado, Acquired: 2016, college free agent.

The status: UFA. Expiring four-year, $14-million contract extension. 

The stats: GP: 423, G: 88, A: 106, Pts: 194. 

The skinny: Played middle, right wing on second and third lines. Centred sixth-ranked first PP unit and on first PK pairing. Led club forwards in blocks. Fast, gritty, opportunistic, 48.8 per cent in circle. 

The bottom line: Would top the list if not for career 52-point season (17-35) that will see expiring $3.5-million cap rocket to $5 million. 

Sean Monahan, 28, Montreal, Acquired: 2022, trade to Calgary.

The status: UFA. Expiring seven-year, $44.625-million extension from Flames. 

The stats: GP: 681, G: 218, A: 261, Pts: 479. 

The skinny: Limited to 17 points (6-11) in 25 games this season because of two injury setbacks. Suffered broken foot and also needed groin surgery. Kept him from being 20-goal contributor. 

The bottom line: Would a healthy Monahan take a cheap one-year deal to re-establish his game?

I'd do it.  Flyers could too, even if they trade Hayes and Konecny they still have Frost and Cates as their future up the middle, and with Tippett and Farabee they have the start to a young group of wings.  Come to think of it, Garland at 27 might be a bit too old for that timeline though, but again if they do it I would too.

• Cheers 1

There is tonne of interest in Scott Laughton and Philadelphia is torn per Friedman.  They want to keep guys like him to help develop their young players but on the other hand with so much interest there might just be an offer that's too good to refuse.

Philadelphia is rebuilding as stated by Brière.  Garland is already 27 - he's not really a piece for their future.  A 3rd round pick seems a bit light for a player that they don't really want to move and that has apparently so much interest on the market.  

It's really hard to see those type of deals being available.  Several teams with cap space are taking of taking advantage of how cap strapped the league is to gain assets. Would think it's the same mindset in Philadelphia especially as they are going the rebuild route.

Edited by mll
  • Cheers 2

24 minutes ago, mll said:

There is tonne of interest in Scott Laughton and Philadelphia is torn per Friedman.  They want to keep guys like him to help develop their young players but on the other hand with so much interest there might just be an offer that's too good to refuse.

Philadelphia is rebuilding as stated by Brière.  Garland is already 27 - he's not really a piece for their future.  A 3rd round pick seems a bit light for a player that they don't really want to move and that has apparently so much interest on the market.  

It's really hard to see those type of deals being available.  Several teams with cap space are taking of taking advantage of how cap strapped the league is to gain assets. Would think it's the same mindset in Philadelphia especially as they are going the rebuild route.

Good points. One question is would Laughton be enticed to continue in PHI given all the recent turmoil and failure, only to be asked to lead a rebuild? Perhaps at his age he might be looking for a stronger chance at playoffs/ post season success. I realize he’s on term but that doesn’t prevent anyone from asking for a change of scenery. I guess we’ll see. I know Laughton’s name has always come up in trade talk year in year out, so perhaps this is the year. He’d be a great add. 

I think Garland and a 3rd is fair. There is need for his caliber of RW in PHI and Garland in some ways may remind Briere a little bit of himself and be willing to give the deal a shot. I’m hoping PA at least makes an attempt. 

Edited by RWJC

47 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Good points. One question is would Laughton be enticed to continue in PHI given all the recent turmoil and failure, only to be asked to lead a rebuild? Perhaps at his age he might be looking for a stronger chance at playoffs/ post season success. I realize he’s on term but that doesn’t prevent anyone from asking for a change of scenery. I guess we’ll see. I know Laughton’s name has always come up in trade talk year in year out, so perhaps this is the year. He’d be a great add. 

I think Garland and a 3rd is fair. There is need for his caliber of RW in PHI and Garland in some ways may remind Briere a little bit of himself and be willing to give the deal a shot. I’m hoping PA at least makes an attempt. 

Vancouver creates cap space and gets the C3 they need for a mere 3rd round pick.  That's a really good deal for Vancouver.  It's poor use of leverage for Philadelphia though.  

The league is cap strapped.  It's the opportunity for teams with cap space like Philadelphia to take advantage to gain assets.  

Garland is akin to a cap dump to Philadelphia as they are rebuilding - Konecny is younger and is available because too old for their contending window.  Same for Garland.  

Sean Monahan could be a great pickup if all he can get is a cheap 1 year deal. Good at faceoffs and has put up points before. Even if he doesn’t put up a ton of points he still produces great for a 3C. Just tell him look what playing in our offence did for Bo Horvat. It’s up to him but he could play a similar role here if he can earn it. We can help each other.