The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Golden Knights trade Reilly Smith to Penguins for 2024 3rd-round pick

3 minutes ago, D-Money said:

This is a repeat of what they did with Nate Schmidt. Dump him for a pick (also a 3rd) and use the salary space to sign an even better player.

Even though the pick isn’t as high as you’d expect, it’s still a huge win overall for Vegas.

What's the move for them? I could be completely off but it looks like they've got $3.4M in cap space + $5M for Lehner on LTIR. If Hill comes in around the reported ~$4.5M that leaves them around $4M to play with. Smith was at $5M for another two years. It's gonna be tough for them to find an adequate replacement within the confines of the salary cap. 

That's first world problems for a team who just won a cup though.

9 hours ago, Sean Monahan said:

What's the move for them? I could be completely off but it looks like they've got $3.4M in cap space + $5M for Lehner on LTIR. If Hill comes in around the reported ~$4.5M that leaves them around $4M to play with. Smith was at $5M for another two years. It's gonna be tough for them to find an adequate replacement within the confines of the salary cap. 

I think they’re going to dump Martinez, who has 1 year left in his deal. That will clear up over $5M. 

• Cheers 1

My first thought on this trade is wow the ruthless Knights swing their sword again. Didn't they just re-sign Reilly Smith last year? I think he took a a bit of a discount to stay at the same AVV and shorter term. Now that they found another shiny toy they had to dump him. At least Smith got his cup ring.

1 minute ago, canuckwings said:

My first thought on this trade is wow the ruthless Knights swing their sword again. Didn't they just re-sign Reilly Smith last year? I think he took a a bit of a discount to stay at the same AVV and shorter term. Now that they found another shiny toy they had to dump him. At least Smith got his cup ring.

Well at least he has a cup 

14 hours ago, Sean Monahan said:

Barbashev is their Smith replacement.  They only need to sign Hill and add a depth player.