The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Buyout] Matt Duchene, Kailer Yamamoto, Mike Reilly

2 minutes ago, mll said:

That's the thing though - teams are look more likely to go after those guys in free agency than trade for Garland.  They might even be cheaper and get less term + more playoff experience and not undersized.

Garland is a better player then Wheeler and Bailey. It's not even close going into 2023-24 

Just now, canuckwings said:

I don't understand this move. Sure Duchene is declining but who's going to play center for them now after moving Johansen? They did this despite not moving up in the draft to grab a center? They're keeping Saros and Josi because apparently they're not rebuilding. I don't follow Nashville closely so maybe there's a good reason for this.

And no Canucks shouldn't go after Duchene and he's probably not going to join a Canadian team unless we overpay him. 

Duchene hasn't played much C for Nashville - was a winger for them.  Granlund was a C and was traded at the TDL.  

Nashville are in a re-set - they don't have the pressure to make the playoffs next year.  They still have Sissons for the defensive matchups - he's their only experienced C left.  Glass made his way to C1 after starting the season a scratch/C4.  Trotz specifically mentioned Novak for the Johansen role. 

Trotz talks of adding winners to help their culture - that sounds a bit similar to what Chicago did by adding Perry/Foligno.  Wonder if they could be looking at Toews for that role.    

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

I'd only take Duchene... Wheeler has a bad attitude, and Bailey has been healthy scratched a lot over the last two years. 

Duchene would top the list for sure. But wheeler has been awesome here in Winnipeg. Former captain. Plays center and wing and is a big body. Being a Jets and Canucks fan I'd love to see him head to the nucks. And Bailey had played for the no offense isles. Where even barzal can't even be utilized. I would think on a good cheap deal would be the perfect type of fit for a 3rd liner that can move up and down easily.

Edited by Texx
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Texx said:

Duchene would top the list for sure. But wheeler has been awesome here in Winnipeg. Former captain. Plays center and wing and is a big body. Being a Jets and Canucks fan I'd love to see him head to the nucks. And Bailey had played for the no offense isles. Where even barzak can't even be utilized. I would think on a good cheap deal would be the perfect type of fit for a 3rd liner that can move up and down easily.

So how do you feel about the Jets now? 

I actually like the PLD deal for them, but I'm worried if they have enough young guys who are ready to step up and take on a bigger role. 

8 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Garland is a better player then Wheeler and Bailey. It's not even close going into 2023-24 

Not sure the market sees it that way though.  Vancouver has been trying to trade him for a while.  Canucks cap space is still limited to improve the D-corps and add a C3 and a backup goalie to not overplay Demko.  The wings are also crowded.  

Mikheyev will be healthy - Beauvillier was added after he was shut down.  Höglander is no longer waiver free.  Tocchet thinks Joshua has more to give and could play him higher in the lineup.  Pearson is preparing to be ready for camp - might not be but still an indication that he could join the team at some point.  

Edited by mll

16 minutes ago, canuckwings said:

I don't understand this move. Sure Duchene is declining but who's going to play center for them now after moving Johansen? They did this despite not moving up in the draft to grab a center? They're keeping Saros and Josi because apparently they're not rebuilding. I don't follow Nashville closely so maybe there's a good reason for this.

And no Canucks shouldn't go after Duchene and he's probably not going to join a Canadian team unless we overpay him. 

Duchene played mostly on the wing. They have Parsinen, Glass and Tomassino down the middle

5 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

So how do you feel about the Jets now? 

I actually like the PLD deal for them, but I'm worried if they have enough young guys who are ready to step up and take on a bigger role. 

Well it's time for it to be blown up some, I've always thought Chevy has done a good job as GM so I'm sure he will spend some $ on a few decent deals tomorrow, I think they did great in the PLD trade. And it seems they will be investing in high character players, with picks like mcgroarty and Barlow of late. Need to get players that are team/city oriented because we all know how long the winters are here.

5 minutes ago, mll said:

Not sure the market sees it that way though.  Vancouver has been trying to trade him for a while.  Canucks cap space is still limited to improve the D-corps and add a C3 and a backup goalie to not overplay Demko.  The wings are also crowded.  

Mikheyev will be healthy - Beauvillier was added after he was shut down.  Höglander is no longer waiver free.  Tocchet thinks Joshua has more to give and could play him higher in the lineup.  Pearson is preparing to be ready for camp - might not be but still an indication that he could join the team at some point.  

Allvin is probably looking at acquiring an asset for Garland instead of throwing him away for nothing.  

Just because teams don't want/need Garland doesn't diminish his ability. 

2 minutes ago, Odd. said:

Duchene played mostly on the wing. They have Parsinen, Glass and Tomassino down the middle

Novak - Trotz mentioned him when talking about the Johansen trade.  Tomasino plays mostly wing - even in the AHL. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, mll said:

Vancouver seems to be looking for a matchup C3 that can also PK - that's really not Duchene.  Defence not his strong suit. He doesn't PK either.  Has also been playing mostly wing in Nashville. 

Ya seems legit basically we need a guy that can do 55%+ on draws and C the PK where a guy like duchene is more offensive minded 

6 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Allvin is probably looking at acquiring an asset for Garland instead of throwing him away for nothing.  

Just because teams don't want/need Garland doesn't diminish his ability. 

To see how he gets used this coming season. The top-9 looks crowded on the wings.  

Boeser, Kuzmenko, Mikheyev, Podkolzin, Höglander, Joshua, Beauvillier, Garland + Pearson might be able to return.  

15 minutes ago, Odd. said:

f**k no to Bailey looool

It's not always about keeping a guy long term, need to find the type of deals on players that if given an opportunity to succeed can be traded at the deadline in a year or two. Gathering an extra 4th from a injury riddled playoff team at the deadline is what the Canucks do not do enough of. 

• Cheers 1

52 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Disagree, Wheeler and Bailey are far better for what we need. I would 100% rather have these guys on a smaller contract for less years.

49 minutes ago, mll said:

is Garland available to be bought yet in the first or second window? What about Pearson?

32 minutes ago, mll said:

To see how he gets used this coming season. The top-9 looks crowded on the wings.  

Boeser, Kuzmenko, Mikheyev, Podkolzin, Höglander, Joshua, Beauvillier, Garland + Pearson might be able to return.  

6 spots for 9 guys ... Podkolzin could start in the A though can't he?