The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Kings re-sign Anze Kopitar

I was a little shocked about the amount, but as others have said, he is still producing. And, like others have said, I thought maybe it was rewarding for past play.  In any case, it seemed decent to me.

I went to Capfriendly to see if they were way under the cap, figuring that would justify the contract even more, and that's when my jaw hit the floor.

First off, LA is slightly over the cap.  No biggie, it's early in the season. Then I saw that Anze's still on a 10M AAV contract this year.

He's turning 36 next month, so he will be 38 entering the final year of the contract extension.

Unless Capfriendly is wrong with the current contract, WTF would LA be doing giving him an extension now?  He's still playing on an 80M contract, so it's not like he's been (or being) underpaid. It's a long season for so many things to could go wrong, it seems nuts to tie up cap so early.

Seems like a crazy signing to me with this flurry of facts.

1 hour ago, Kragar said:

I was a little shocked about the amount, but as others have said, he is still producing. And, like others have said, I thought maybe it was rewarding for past play.  In any case, it seemed decent to me.

I went to Capfriendly to see if they were way under the cap, figuring that would justify the contract even more, and that's when my jaw hit the floor.

First off, LA is slightly over the cap.  No biggie, it's early in the season. Then I saw that Anze's still on a 10M AAV contract this year.

He's turning 36 next month, so he will be 38 entering the final year of the contract extension.

Unless Capfriendly is wrong with the current contract, WTF would LA be doing giving him an extension now?  He's still playing on an 80M contract, so it's not like he's been (or being) underpaid. It's a long season for so many things to could go wrong, it seems nuts to tie up cap so early.

Seems like a crazy signing to me with this flurry of facts.

I think their motto is Kopitar rocks, he's 100% a big part of the team moving forward and they showed everyone that.

9 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

I think their motto is Kopitar rocks, he's 100% a big part of the team moving forward and they showed everyone that.

Absolutely.  I would have just expected to wait a little before giving him a sizable extension, to be sure that his play holds up.  I'm not claiming it will drop, but it's not unreasonable to think it could happen.  For a team that is close to the cap (I think they were about 1M under last year), this fairly high contract could hurt them.  Team is showing some strong faith in him, for sure.

1 minute ago, Kragar said:

Absolutely.  I would have just expected to wait a little before giving him a sizable extension, to be sure that his play holds up.  I'm not claiming it will drop, but it's not unreasonable to think it could happen.  For a team that is close to the cap (I think they were about 1M under last year), this fairly high contract could hurt them.  Team is showing some strong faith in him, for sure.

Yeah, the more I thought about it you're absolutely right. They committed a lot cement in their formula. He's there rain or shine.

• Cheers 1