The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[discussion] potential trade partners for a winger

The Athletic recently recapped each team’s biggest need, one week into free agency. Surprisingly, (9) teams are reported as needing a winger. I’ve omitted teams looking for an ‘elite scorer,’ or ‘star calibre’ players, so these should represent potential trade partners for any of our surplus wingers:

Buffalo Sabres

Forward depth: With the injury to Jack Quinn, the Sabres could have used another experienced forward to round out the forward depth chart. They have some younger prospects who could jump in, like Jiri Kulich and Matt Savoie, but finding one more experienced player on the wing would have been a bonus. — Matthew Fairburn

Colorado Avalanche

A top-six-capable forward: The Jonathan Drouinpickup is a fun one for Colorado, and it could pay major dividends if he returns to his early career form. Having some insurance if he doesn’t work out in the top six would probably be wise, though. It will be difficult finding someone on the market to fill that role, but the Avalanche can address it at the deadline. — Peter Baugh

Detroit Red Wings

A scorer: Yes, but it will take a big trade. The free-agent market was thin this year, and especially considering the Red Wings are still building toward an ultimate window that’s more in the future than the present, they need any such addition to be young (or young-ish). All eyes are of course on Alex DeBrincat, and to a lesser extent William Nylander, but both are expected to be pricey, both in acquisition cost and the potential contract they would command. That makes any potential trade a fine line to walk for a Detroit team that’s not in win-now mode and has to keep its big picture in mind. — Max Bultman

Nashville Predators

Scoring help: Roman Josi led Nashville in scoring last season with 59 points, tied for 96th overall in the league with ex-Pred Viktor Arvidsson and Buffalo’s Casey Mittelstadt. Partly, that’s because injuries limited Filip Forsberg to 50 games. Without Matt Duchene and Ryan Johansen, the Preds are thin in proven scoring. Free-agent signings Ryan O’Reilly and Gustav Nyquist will help in that area, but primarily, it is something that they plan to address internally, not externally. The 2023-24 roster is more or less set. — Eric Duhatschek

New York Islanders

Another scorer: The Islanders’ rumored interest in Alex DeBrincat makes sense as they could still use at least one more player who can put the puck in the net. That was most reflected in their power-play problems throughout last season. They could also stand to be a bit more mobile on their back end, but that doesn’t seem to be something they’re considering after re-signing Scott Mayfield. — Kevin Kurz

Ottawa Senators

Depth for the forward group: If Alex DeBrincat is on the way out, the Senators could certainly use a bit more depth in their middle-six group up front. Even if DeBrincat somehow comes back for another season, there is an argument that Ottawa still needs another winger to add to the third line. But until the DeBrincat situation is resolved, it’s hard for GM Pierre Dorion to know how much cap space he has to play with for next season. Maybe he gets a useful forward as part of the DeBrincat trade, but if he doesn’t, he’ll need to fill that void in the weeks ahead. — Ian Mendes

San Jose Sharks

Scoring on the wing: The Sharks have to get creative and find young NHL-caliber players who will thread the needle. That’s something they can do via development and trade, and less free agency at this point. — Shayna Goldman

Vegas Golden Knights

Left-wing depth: I’m reaching here because the Golden Knights honestly don’t have a glaring weakness. They’re returning almost the exact lineup that just steamrolled through the playoffs with only six total losses. Trading Reilly Smith weakens Vegas on the left wing, and if one of the top four were to go down, the team would have Jonas Røndbjerg or 2020 first-round pick Brendan Brisson as call-up options. Perhaps another veteran with NHL experience could bolster that group, but the fact that this is the weakness identified speaks to Vegas’ overall team strength. — Jesse Granger

Washington Capitals

A top-six forward: Even with Max Pacioretty expected to fill a second-line spot once his twice-torn right Achilles tendon heals, the Caps’ aging forward corps could probably use a little more offensive pop. Just one problem, and it’s a considerable one: They currently have 20 players under contract and only $888,333 in cap space, according to CapFriendly. Plug in Connor McMichael or Beck Malenstyn or Aliaksei Protas, and there’s virtually nothing left. So unless the team dumps a contract, plans to bury one in the minors or both, adding a legit top-of-the-lineup player is not possible. — Tarik El-Bashir

Edited by Ted Lasso
  • Cheers 1

If the Avs give up on Drouin and need a replacement, and Beauvillier starts off well, perhaps we can trade him or Garland, take back Drouin and get a pick.
After getting such bargains to shore up their C depth, they're probably too shrewd to overpay but it's still value if we can address an area of their need, so they'll probably give us some value if they can see a fit.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, ilduce39 said:

If Detroit (or I guess anyone) doesn’t want a major commitment to DeBrincat I could see them being a fit for Garland.  

Especially if we’re basically giving him away. 

Good point. It’s possible Ottawa could be interested after a DeBrincat trade as well

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Phil_314 said:

If the Avs give up on Drouin and need a replacement, and Beauvillier starts off well, perhaps we can trade him or Garland, take back Drouin and get a pick.
After getting such bargains to shore up their C depth, they're probably too shrewd to overpay but it's still value if we can address an area of their need, so they'll probably give us some value if they can see a fit.

Yeah, not sure if the Canucks have made any attempt to shop Beauvillier, but several of these teams might be interested in him before the season as well.

1 hour ago, amplified0ne said:

The Canucks may want to trade Garland first but they probably will be forced to trade Beauvillier.  Garland played pretty decent once Tocchet took over, so I don't think its so bad perhaps Garland can be moved at the trade deadline or next offseason.  

If they want to sign another free agent, like Pius Suter, they may need to trade Beauvillier to clear cap.

Wonder what his trade value is, to a team like San Jose? His contract is reasonable for his production, and low risk with one year left. He’s also young enough to be considered for a rebuilding team, and could be flipped at the deadline for a mid round pick…

13 minutes ago, Ted Lasso said:

If they want to sign another free agent, like Pius Suter, they may need to trade Beauvillier to clear cap.

Wonder what his trade value is, to a team like San Jose? His contract is reasonable for his production, and low risk with one year left. He’s also young enough to be considered for a rebuilding team, and could be flipped at the deadline for a mid round pick…

Not sure he fits what Grier is trying to build.  In his opening presser Grier insisted that they had to change their team's identify where he felt they were too easy to play against.  He says he wants a tenacious, fast and in your face type team.  

They've already been trying to move Labanc since last off-season and might want to keep spots open for their prospects.  

I don't think Allvin will trade Beauvillier for nothing, just because he recently acquired him and would make the Horvat trade look a bit worse, but surely we can just hand some team Garland - I don't think he has negative value but he doesn't quite have positive value. I like the Capitals as a trading partner - they're desperate and have lots of young defencemen and need wingers.

Beauvillier + Garland + Rathbone for Mantha + Alexeyev

I'd even retain 1M or so to get the deal across the line. Washington rid themselves of Mantha and get two middle-6 wingers in return who slot right in. They lose Alexeyev but get another young puck mover in Rathbone.

Meanwhile the Canucks free up a good bit of cap, take on a big physical winger project but the main part of the deal is getting Alexeyev in - a big, young physical Russian defenceman who can play either side. He's not top-4 quality yet but we could really groom him into the job.

Mikheyev - Pettersson - Kuzmenko

PDG - Miller - Boeser

Mantha - Blueger - Hoglander

Joshua - Aman - Studnicka

That 3rd line has the potential to be a great forechecking line but also could be invisible some nights.

Hughes - Cole

Soucy - Hronek

Alexeyev - Myers

Hirose

Buffalo interests me...

Jokiharju 2.5m - Ideally

or

Lybushkin 2.75m

for

Garland 4.95m or beauvillier 4.1m

Is Jokiharju capable of playing with Hughes??? Remember he was a 1st round pick of CHicago who they traded early on for A. Nylander...Where is Sabresfan when you need him...he still MIA on this site???

13 hours ago, kenhodgejr said:

Keep our wingers and trade Myers after his bonus has been paid and sign Foote. 

I was interested in Foote also, but someone reported the Canucks would avoid putting him the awkward spot of being the coaches son

13 hours ago, kenhodgejr said:

Keep our wingers and trade Myers after his bonus has been paid and sign Foote. 

Also, as much as I’m on board with trading Myers, I still think we need to offload 1-2 wingers 

I wonder, with Dubas behind the helm, if Pittsburgh is available. They just acquired Eller and last year made one of the worst trades in a while acquiring Granlund who was brilliant the last few seasons, but dreadful in Pittsburgh colours. I wonder if they'll want to try again or give up on him. Acquiring Eller makes me think they want protection but will probably give up on him. 5M, 31 years old, not a great look over there

Why don't we swap them - Garland for Granlund. We take a flyer on a guy who has been a brilliant 40-60+ point pace guy most of his career, he just struggled in Pittsburgh for a handful of games for whatever reason. If it doesn't work out, ouch, risky play and we're stuck with him for a while but probably bury him in our bottom-6. If he works out well and gets back to his Nashville production, we have one of the best center depths in the league. If he can even get back to 40pt territory it's a win for us. He's far from a defensive-first center but we could try and roll 3 relatively scoring lines with Beauvillier and Hoglander and Podkolzin soon to join the team too. 

This moves Blueger to 4C alongside Joshua and I'd put Aman on the wing to form a really gritty checking 4th line.