The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

***The UFC/MMA THREAD***

Charlie.Sheen

Anyone else think it's a really bad idea giving Ronda Rousey the headliner on a PPV right off the bat? Seems really hard to market a fight like that when no one outside of diehards know who either fighter is (especially Liz Carmouche). Makes a lot more sense for them to headline a free card or be the co-main event behind another title fight on a PPV card IMO.

I expect GSP/Nick to look similar if not more lopsided. Nick's wrestling is every bit as weak as Nate's. GSP will mop the floor with Nick Diaz. My heart swelled with British Columbian pride when I saw that fine broth of a lad Rory MacDonald's hand raised. I'm not ashamed to admit that I shed a single manly tear just then.

Had to reach for a serviette to dab my cheek.

Strongly agree with everything here.

GSP/Diaz is going to be the exact same fight but likely even more dominant. It's a match-up that simply doesn't interest me one bit, but I'll watch a GSP fight no matter what.

Rory's going to be a hell of a fighter but I really hope he decides to stray away from the villain role. Watching him pick BJ Penn apart was beyond enjoyable, but I could have done without the taunting personally.

All in all, an amazing free card and probably the best yet.

Edited by Intoewsables

Honestly, I lost some respect for Rory today. Enough with the taunting BS, that's a a veteran in front of you, either keep on fighting or finish the fight.

GSP has never, and would never pull crap like that.

But he's not GSP, he's a different person. So don't expect every Canadian fighter to be a choir boy like George. Two days ago Rory said he doesn't fight for people opinions. So respect him or not, he's still going to be the same vicious fighter and be himself.

There once was a man named Anderson Silva who taunted his opponent for 5 straight rounds. There is a man named Nick Diaz who trash talks his opponents during rounds. The greatest of them all Muhammed Ali taunted the hell out of everyone.

It's fighting, respect each other after the fight is over, not when you're both trying to kill each other.

He wants to fight Condit in Vancouver. I love this guy!!

Our GSP.

I think he meant he wants to fight Condit in Montreal. The UFC won't be coming back to Vancouver until 2014 the earliest I believe, if even then.

I love watching those pricks the Diaz brothers get their a*ses beat down. Loved the huge black eye the arrogant prick was wearing by the end of the fight. Can't wait to see GSP do the same thing to his brother.

On another note, a few of my buddies went down for the event and they all got pictures with Jon Jones and got him to sign t shirts and stuff. Apparently Jones didn't even try to hide the fact he was there and was taking pictures with basically the whole arena.

But he's not GSP, he's a different person. So don't expect every Canadian fighter to be a choir boy like George. Two days ago Rory said he doesn't fight for people opinions. So respect him or not, he's still going to be the same vicious fighter and be himself.

There once was a man named Anderson Silva who taunted his opponent for 5 straight rounds. There is a man named Nick Diaz who trash talks his opponents during rounds. The greatest of them all Muhammed Ali taunted the hell out of everyone.

It's fighting, respect each other after the fight is over, not when you're both trying to kill each other.

Point taken, yet it was just awkward to watch. All of the fighters you brought up have that sort of swagger to go along with it.

He's one helluva fighter but it just doesn't seem to fit in with his character and style. His taunting was as awkward as his interviews and trash talk.

Honestly, I lost some respect for Rory today. Enough with the taunting BS, that's a a veteran in front of you, either keep on fighting or finish the fight.

GSP has never, and would never pull crap like that.

Eff that.

BJ has been trash talking EVERYBODY for years and years and actually called Rory out for this fight. I loved every bit of it. And man is Rory ever a creepy looking dude. The way he called out Condit, sorta reminded me of a Dexter Morgan-type of guy, like just so odd and serious. He'll destroy Condit if they rematch me thinks.

Well, I got two outta three right. I didn't expect Bendo to look so damn good tonight. Was awesome to see Gustafsson dominate Shogun like that. I've been a fan of this guy for a lonnnng time. He deserves the shot against Bones, as if that means something lol.

Anyways, one of the best cards I've ever seen tonight. From the prelims to the main, just solid start to finish.

And like someone said earlier, watch out for Killa Trujillo. Amazing fighter this guy is.

Edited by Raoul Duke
  • Upvote 1

Eff that.

BJ has been trash talking EVERYBODY for years and years and actually called Rory out for this fight. I loved every bit of it. And man is Rory ever a creepy looking dude. The way he called out Condit, sorta reminded me of a Dexter Morgan-type of guy, like just so odd and serious. He'll destroy Condit if they rematch me thinks.

Well, I got two outta three right. I didn't expect Bendo to look so damn good tonight. Was awesome to see Gustafsson dominate Shogun like that. I've been a fan of this guy for a lonnnng time. He deserves the shot against Bones, as if that means something lol.

Anyways, one of the best cards I've ever seen tonight. From the prelims to the main, just solid start to finish.

And like someone said earlier, watch out for Killa Trujillo. Amazing fighter this guy is.

He looked so much different in the summer, Me and a couple others were running sprints with him at Holy Cross and he was buzzed cut and bigger.

After the Rory BJ fight I am not a fan of Rory. he's so good but I'm sorry u don't showboat like that against a guy who is a legend fighting in potentially his last fight. especially a guy you say you looked up. Couldn't stop laughing during the Henderson Diaz figh. Diaz was just getting his ass handed to him and wouldn't stop chirping and when he fingered him when they were in that weird splits position.

Rory gets his wish. The rematch with Condit is set for UFC 158 in March in Montreal. Still not huge on the location though. Why should Condit have to go fight in Montreal AGAIN?? Shoulda done Vegas.

After the Rory BJ fight I am not a fan of Rory. he's so good but I'm sorry u don't showboat like that against a guy who is a legend fighting in potentially his last fight. especially a guy you say you looked up.

BJ's been running his mouth for years, licking the blood off of opponents, cried, pointed fingers, etc for years but Rory dances his feet a lil bit during the fight it's "disrepectful" to a legend? He's lucky Rory didn't kill him!

Rory gets his wish. The rematch with Condit is set for UFC 158 in March in Montreal. Still not huge on the location though. Why should Condit have to go fight in Montreal AGAIN?? Shoulda done Vegas.

BJ's been running his mouth for years, licking the blood off of opponents, cried, pointed fingers, etc for years but Rory dances his feet a lil bit during the fight it's "disrepectful" to a legend? He's lucky Rory didn't kill him!

I know right, screw Penn im glad Rory gave him a thrashing

Edited by ReaperCrew

Remember guys, UFC on FX 6 today at 3 Pacific on Sportsnet 1

Ross Pearson vs George Sotiropoulos

Brad Scott vs Robert Whittaker (TUF final bout)

Colin Fletcher vs Norman Parke (TUF final bout)

Hector Lombard vs Rousimar Palhares!!!

Chad Mendes vs Yaotzin Meza

Joey Beltran vs Igor Prokrajac

Seth Baczynski vs Mike Pierce

Ben Alloway vs Manuel Rodriguez (TUF)

Brendan Loughnane vs Mike Wilkinson (TUF)

Cody Donovan vs Nick Penner

Some very good fights there-Paul Harris vs Lombard especially!

I dont get the Jones hate; he had every right to refuse that fight. It was a lose/lose for Jones.

If he loses, there goes his title.

If he wins, he beat a guy who took a fight on 8 days notice, who just fought, who is moving up a weight class. Does nothing to help his rep, fans, etc.

Dana is a spoiled baby when it comes to stuff like this. Injuries happen, Jones signed a contract to fight Hendo, not Sonnen, he has every right to say frack off. You guys make me laugh.

Great post. I completely agree. Another thing is I take Jones at his word in this matter. He asked, why should Sonnen get a title shot? According to Jones Sonnen didn't deserve it. He should earn it.

Jones also took issue with Sonnen taking shots at Brazil and it's ppl including kids during the run up to Silva fight. Jones didn't want to award Sonnen with a title shot for saying some pretty offensive things. Atleast they were offensive to the ppl of Brazil.

Rorys dancing on his feet was just weird. He didn't even look confident doing it. Foot movement is def lacking, but he is going to be a great fighter if he keeps his head straight.

Also Hendricks mad GSP "avoiding" him. But Diaz vs GSP has more hype I think. Kind of like Pacquio vs Marquez 4 had more hype than Pacquio vs Bradley rematch would.

Great weekend of fights!

- Rustam's suplexfest was insane! What a UFC debut.

- Pat Barry with an absolutely devastating KO!

- Big Country shows his stuff again. That dude has serious power!

- Nice to see Dustin Poirier rebound from the loss to Zombie.

- Whittaker/Scott was a solid TUF final.

- Lombard is BACK! That looked like the killer from Bellator!

- Ross Pearson with a great win over Snufflelufagus in hostile territory!

And now only two weeks til Cain gets his title back!! (yes I know JDS will likely win again, but I can hope right?)