Canucks Community

Burrows? Do We Really Need Him?

Rate this topic

clutch

Vancouver Sun article (Brad Ziemer) on Burr (and some other Canucks tidbits):

Canucks' Alex Burrows shows signs he's almost all the way back

Notebook: Feisty winger has scored in each of the last three games

By Brad Ziemer, Vancouver Sun December 2, 2010

CHICAGO — It was perhaps the best sign yet that the old Alex Burrows is back.

Early in the third period of Wednesday night's impressive 7-2 win over the Calgary Flames, Burrows raced down the left wing and instead of passing the puck to a trailing Daniel Sedin, ripped a shot that beat goalie Miikka Kiprusoff high to the short side.

"I don't think it's the right idea to look off Danny and shoot the puck," Burrows said with a chuckle on Thursday. "I won't do that again, but it worked out last night."

Burrows has now scored in each of the last three games and acknowledged Thursday that he is beginning to feel like he is nearly all the way back after off-season shoulder surgery.

"I feel way better," he said. "My legs are better, obviously the brain doesn't tell the shoulder be careful or anything any more … it's still a process and hopefully I'll keep improving."

The Canucks have preached patience to Burrows, telling him that it would take time. They were right. It has.

Burrows had points in only one of the first nine games he played after returning to the lineup on Nov. 1. He carries a four-game points streak into Friday's game in Chicago (5:30 p.m., TSN, Team 1040).

"I think he is finding his touch," coach Alain Vigneault said today. "The twins and him are starting to find their groove again. It was going to take a little bit of time. You just have to bide that time, give your guy the opportunity to find his rhythm. No training camp or late in training camp is a tough thing for a player to get back."

"I am just trying to work hard and do the right things out there," added Burrows, who led the team with 35 goals last season. "Obviously, the PK is still a big part of my job and I am trying to succeed there. When I can chip in offensively playing with the twins it's always nice. Right now I am able to produce a little bit and I hope it is a sign of good things to come."

DEFENCE FIRST: Offensively, it hasn't been a great season for defenceman Kevin Bieksa. But defensively, the Canucks are delighted with the way Bieksa is playing in his own end.

"I think he is playing as in control as we have seen in a long time," Vigneault said. "Obviously with the puck offensively he'd like to be able to do more, but defensively he is doing everything we want."

Bieksa has just one goal and four points this season, which means he is going to be hard pressed to get the 40 points both he and the team were looking for.

"I feel like I've had a good year," Bieksa said. "Obviously, the numbers aren't where they should be, but other than that I feel like I'm having one of my strongest seasons. I have put a lot of attention to detail on my defensive game this year and so far things are working out."

Bieksa thinks he has benefited from having a fairly regular defensive partner in Dan Hamhuis.

"I think having the same partner for a long time makes things a lot easier," he said. "Being able to communicate with a guy and know where he's going to be and just little things like getting out of your zone and little chip passes knowing where your partner is going to be, I think that helps. Right now things are going well."

MAKING HIS POINT: One Canuck defenceman who continues to pile up the points is Alex Edler. He has 16 points in 23 games, leads the team in ice time (24:42 per game) and is a team-best plus-six.

"It's always nice to get points," Edler said today. "Sometimes they are lucky and sometimes they are not, but it's always nice to be able to help out offensively."

QUOTABLE: "it's just two teams that hate each other and want to beat each other more than anything. We don't like them … we'd like to go in there and spoil their fun." — Bieksa on the Blackhawks.

ICE CHIPS: The Canucks have sent centre Alex Bolduc to Manitoba, where he will play Friday and Saturday for the Moose. Bolduc has been out since suffering a high ankle sprain in the season-opener on Oct. 9 … The Canucks' Dec. 11 home game against Tampa Bay is now a 7:30 p.m. start. That's the night the team will retire Markus Naslund's No. 19 jersey … Tickets for the Canucks for Kids Fund SuperSkills competition go on sale 10 a.m. Saturday. Tickets for the Feb. 27 event are $15 for the lower bowl and $10 for the upper bowl, plus taxes and fees.

Read more: http://www.vancouver...l#ixzz17217aaTx

We will have a new feature now, to keep things fresh: welcome to creative writer's corner (all submissions welcome):

A: “AY!...that’s a slewww foot, refs open your eyes”

L: last few games he scored a goal, why don’t you look surprised?

E: ‘e is great shorthanded one, gets da puck & flies

X: uh

A: a ref he doesn’t care for him, we don’t really care

N: noone else can fill his shoes, nor his underwear

D: dis is a long name, can I please take a break?

....interlude......

....R: (u aware that he is my most favourite player?)....

E: CHL is where he’s from, but he is no mistake...if you question that, give your head a shake. Then go jump in a lake. You’re a fake. Ohhh, I see you shake and after I get through with you you’re gonna ache. (say hit to Kelly for me)

ok, back on track now (fixes blouse after the skirmish)

B: ball hockey beast, he’s also cool on ice

U: r the bestest Burrows and I’ll bet you’re really nice (shut up, it's my poem)

R: remember that time you broke the slump when you got a shorthanded breakaway goal in a tie game I think against Carolina...wait, let me check...yep, Hurricanes and then we went on to win a bunch after that?

R: tired now

O: Oh no, it’s almost finished, but I’ve still got lots to say

W: whatever, guess I’ll sit back and simply watch him play

S: forever, that’s how long we want Burr to stay. (don’t worry about it, I got the s in there).

Nice post, Deb. At least Burrows knows you want him, even if clutch doesn't/