The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Burrows? Do We Really Need Him?

Rate this topic

clutch

So why is it that he gets no respect? Any ideas? 

Because he is not 6'4" 215 lbs.

Or maybe you think a guy who is 188 lbs in his dreams should be an enforcer and go looking for fights?

All agitators get zero respect... UNLESS THEY ARE PHYSICALLY FRIGHTENING as well as being agitators.

Lucic has career stats worse than Burr, (same points, but less goals) but he gets 'respect' because he is 6'4" 235 lbs.  But there is no difference... both run their mouths, both play chippy, stretch the boundaries of what's legal and get in other players faces.  But in Lucic's case, if someone started mouthing off in the media about him, he'd be in imminent danger of being decapitated or turned into a paralytic.  That's the only reason you don't see whiners going on about him.   Meanwhile a lot of fans rave about him... why?  Because he does exactly the same things as Burrows, but can do them with impunity because of his size... case of Bully minded fans liking a bully.  Lucic has done much worse things than Burrows, but he gets a free pass because large size bullies appeal to a certain segment of the fan base.  Burrows does the same job, but with a lot more of a handicap.

Lucic's ex team-mate Marchand gets exactly the same respect as Burrows because he is also is pint sized.

Bottom line, fans in Vancouver should look at what Burrows has done for the team instead of harping on the chickensh*t details...  by the way, did anyone's finger have to be amputated because of Burrows... Hmmm>???????

How about what Lucic has done>?????

How many times has he put players OUT of the game with his dirty play>??????

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIcg7E9kqhM

Edited by *Buzzsaw*
  • Upvote 2

He pulled hair once and he bit a guy's glove once.

What do we all remember Marty McSorley's career for?

I have to laugh at the people that figured that biting a glove finger is such a dirty act.  Tell you the truth if I was Burrows and Bergeron was stuffing his hockey glove in my mouth I would have bit also plus bring my stick up so hard between his legs the twins wouldn.t see eachother for a few months.

• Upvote 4

I have to laugh at the people that figured that biting a glove finger is such a dirty act.  Tell you the truth if I was Burrows and Bergeron was stuffing his hockey glove in my mouth I would have bit also plus bring my stick up so hard between his legs the twins wouldn.t see eachother for a few months.

Leave the Sedins out of it.

Burr has never pretended to be anything than what he is:

CANADIAN PRESS  Dec. 2 2008

VANCOUVER - It doesn't bother Alex Burrows that he might not have many friends outside the Vancouver Canucks' dressing room.

The feisty Canuck forward plays hockey like a terrier chasing a ball. He crashes and bangs. He'll whack you on the ankle with his stick, then fill your ear with trash talk, in both official languages. Suffice to say he has a low approval rating among other players in the league, which is just fine with Burrows.

"I think it's good," he said with a grin Tuesday. "I have enough friends back home. I have enough friends in this locker room.

"I don't need any more friends in the league. If they are mad at me or rattled, that's all right with me."

Burrows plays with centre Ryan Kesler on the Canucks top checking line. He's usually on the ice against the opposition's best forwards and helps kill penalties.

The six-foot-one, 190-pound forward plays a physical game. He can throw a big hit and doesn't back down when he's challenged. His mouth can move as much as his feet, which means he can add insult to injury some nights.

Kesler, Burrows' best friend on the Canucks, smiled when asked about his linemate.

"It's just the way he chirps on the ice," said Kesler. "He gets under their skin. It's just his style of play. Sometimes you have to have a little chuckle on the ice when you watch him.

"He a guy that plays a hard, in-your-face kind of style. Most guys in this league don't like to be played hard and he's one of the best at it."

Burrows came up through the ranks the hard way. He wasn't drafted coming out of junior and spent time bouncing around the ECHL and American Hockey League before being signed as a free agent by the Canucks in 2005.

"I had to adjust my game to become an NHL player," said the 26-year-old from Pincourt, Que. "When I was in the minors, that's what I had to do, get under people's skin and bring a physical aspect.

"I tried to create some energy on the forecheck, chip in what ever way I could to help the team. That's how I made it to the NHL and that's why I'm still in the league right now."

Grinding is what Burrows does best, but he's been on a recent scoring streak. He's notched two goals in the last three games, including the winner against Atlanta last week. This comes after a stretch of one goal in 26 games.

"I like to score goals, I like to hit guys," said Burrows, who has seven goals and a NHL career high 19 points in 57 games this year. "The most important thing is to get the two points."

For coach Alain Vigneault the play of Burrows has been a bright spot on Canuck team that has just three wins in their last 12 games and is ninth in the Western Conference.

"He's playing with a lot of emotion and a lot of energy on the ice," said Vigneault. "He's a good competitor. When he plays with a lot of feistiness he's tough to play against."

For Burrows, a good night is keeping the opposition's best player off the scoresheet. A better night is when that player also takes a penalty out of frustration.

"The bottom line is those guys are good players," he said. "Once you start competing with them, and competing hard, that's what they don't like.

"They think they will be able to outskill you. If you go out, compete against them and out battle them, that's what really gets under their skin."

Against Atlanta, Burrows' constant battering and yapping put the Thrashers' Ilya Kovalchuk off his game.

"Those Russian guys, they don't like that kind of stuff," Burrows said with pride. "Normally they shy away from it."

Being a pest takes brains as well as brawn.

"You have to be smart about it," Burrows said. "You don't want to cost your team a penalty and be in the box for two minutes while the guy you were trying to get under his skin is on the power play.

"Sometimes it's by giving him a whack or sometimes it's by saying something. You have to be smart and not get caught."

• Upvote 2

Burrows wouldn't repeat what the comments were but did say he's said it and heard it multiple times on the ice. #Canucks

Burrows on Tootoo allegations: "I don't think I crossed the line. I've been told the same in the past."

Burrows would not repeat his comments, but said they had nothing to do with Tootoo's personal history. #Canucks

"I don't think I crossed the line" said Burrows. "I've said and heard it before, it should have stayed on the ice. It's a battle out there"

Edited by Mackcanuck
  • Upvote 1

Im really curious at what was said. If it wasn't racist wouldn't one of them say what it was??

Prob said keep chugging that bottle? Two birds one stone.

edit: I've been caught saying that my self to drunks on the street it is what it is to say the least.

Edited by Yukoncanuck87

just like how Burrows kept what was said on the ice against Auger? But Auger was a POS and so is tootoo so I guess it's all good?

You actually think a ref threatening to and subsequently changing the outcome of a game over a personal matter is the same as 2 players trash talking each other?

Edited by Amish Rake Fighter
  • Upvote 4