The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

A Game Of Thrones: To the point of the TV show, no spoilers beyond that

Mr.Noodles

14 minutes ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

The atmosphere is realistic enough.  Dark and very smoky.  No visibility.  It's war.

But Game of Thrones is television.  Entertainment.  The decision not to have strong lighting was a poor one.

19 minutes ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

A lot of people here are theorizing using book characters or the introduction of just someone new.  That's not happening with such a short timespan.  The story is going to come to a close using all the current pieces left in play.

Others are saying the lighting was okay.  It was not.  I honestly think they used the dark and the smoke to do less work on the cinematography.  It's a show.  You need light even when there is none.  Night battles can be enjoyable on screen.  This one was not.

I actually liked it. I think it potrayed the darkness and the confusion of the lead characters far better than if there was lighting, it makes their instinctive reactions, their flounderings, etc. very relatable and awesome. The decision to go with zero lighting was awesome IMO. 

23 minutes ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

A lot of people here are theorizing using book characters or the introduction of just someone new.  That's not happening with such a short timespan.  The story is going to come to a close using all the current pieces left in play.

Others are saying the lighting was okay.  It was not.  I honestly think they used the dark and the smoke to do less work on the cinematography.  It's a show.  You need light even when there is none.  Night battles can be enjoyable on screen.  This one was not.

I agree that it's unlikely, but I don't think it's impossible.

We were introduced to harry Strickland 2 episodes ago, but so far he's done nothing but tell Cersei that he's looking forward to fighting for her. Oh, that and telling her he left his elephants in his other pants....

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I've been wondering about the Dornish, ever since Arya whacked the Night King. The TV series hasn't really given us any clues, but there are a couple of possibilities from the books that the show writers could fall back on, if they want to bring Dorne into the war against Cersei.

The first is Arianne Martell, who is Prince Doran's eldest daughter in the books. She would be the heir to the Dornish throne, but it's hard to imagine the Sand Snakes leaving her alive, after their coup. I suppose it's possible that she could have been away, (Oberyn mentioned a "sabbatical" in Essos, so it's possible that Arianne was doing the same) but it seems unlikely that this would be the case, since she was never mentioned in the series.

The other possibility is another Sand Snake. Sarella Sand is only briefly mentioned in the books, but there is a popular theory that a Maester in training (and a woman, pretending to be a man) at the Citadel named Alleras, is the last Sand Snake and could decide to return to Dorne to fill the power vacuum. This would have been a better theory, had Sam bumped into a somewhat androgynous fellow trainee in his (albeit brief) time at the Citadel, but it is what it is.

It's possible that Varys will become useful again, using his teleporting powers to try and bring the Dornish into the fray.

Might as well add in Marwyn the Mage if adding Sarella ;) 

4 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Or Lady Stoneheart....

i think its too late to add a new character - will seem contrived in the show's context. If they resolve the Dorne angle, i think the easiest way for them to do it will be to have us find an emaciated and re-deemed Ellaria Sand, shaken from her favorite daughter's death and slow decomposition, rising to become the 4th queen of westeros for an obvertly feminist angle-ending. 

Just now, canuckistani said:

i think its too late to add a new character - will seem contrived in the show's context. If they resolve the Dorne angle, i think the easiest way for them to do it will be to have us find an emaciated and re-deemed Ellaria Sand, shaken from her favorite daughter's death and slow decomposition, rising to become the 4th queen of westeros for an obvertly feminist angle-ending. 

Agreed. I wasn't really serious....

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, canuckistani said:

Of course it is. 

Also the other 2 snakes weren't her daughters.  Oberyn had one with a whore and the other not sure her source. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Gnarcore said:

Of course it is. 

Also the other 2 snakes weren't her daughters.  Oberyn had one with a whore and the other not sure her source. 

Oh, i thought they were all her daughters - can't remember from the books but i do remember the 'even though we are not supposed to, we still have our favorites' line from Cercei in the cellar, leading me to think that the one with her, was her favorite daughter. 

2 minutes ago, canuckistani said:

Oh, i thought they were all her daughters - can't remember from the books but i do remember the 'even though we are not supposed to, we still have our favorites' line from Cercei in the cellar, leading me to think that the one with her, was her favorite daughter. 

Good point there. Maybe the other one was...  one was definitely whelped from a whore though.  She talks about when Oberyn showed up and pointed at the whores tears and his spear and she made her choice of weapon. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Gnarcore said:

Just chatting with my mom...her thoughts are the Second Sons show up to help after getting word of the Golden Company.   Very plausible. 

It's possible. The last time Michael Huisman was asked what was up with Daario, he did the old "Can't tell" routine, which seems a bit odd since other actors (like Michelle Fairley) have had no problem saying they were done...

• Cheers 1

Here's my theory to how it all ends:

Spoiler

When the Aegon the Conqueror and his two wife sisters, and their 3 dragons steamrolled Westeros 300 years ago.. there were Seven Kingdoms. These kingdoms had wars, some big, some little over many millennia.  But, never a war where one kingdom tried to create hegemony.

The show is Game of Thrones. Not Game of The Throne.  Not Game of Throne.

Thrones. 7 of them.

It makes sense that the ending has been hiding in plain site all along, and we go back to the way it WAS.

• Upvote 1

I rewatched it and I don't buy that Jon was distracting the dragon so Arya can run pass, it did sound like he yelled ARYA though.  I assume Arya, the Red Priestess and the Hound were on the second floor and she hoped out of the window and just booked it - no time to make eye contact with Jon.  It's not like I wasn't of fan of Arya getting the kill(she was the only one who could fight blind(darkness)), just the way it went down.  I thought if the Night King touched you you'd get at the very least frostbite or something.  

Edited by Tre Mac

6 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

This guy on Reddit called it one year ago(though his/her spelling sucks):

So the question is why would such a unique and important blade be used to try and kill Bran?

In the show Sansa and Arya confront Littlefinger and claim that he was the one that tried to have Bran killed and pin it on the Lannisters.

But then the question is why would they use a blade like that? And how would Littlefinger come into possession of it?

It kind of makes you think he wasn't behind the plot and that maybe he was being directed by someone else. Someone who wanted to have Bran killed because they knew he would become the three eyed raven perhaps?

Might be nothing to it, but it will be interesting to see if they examine the history of that blade a little more.

Edited by DeNiro

Nice story about some GoT cast members stepping up for a fan....even Ser Meryn! :blink:

https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/01/entertainment/game-of-thrones-hospice-trnd/index.html

Cast members of Game of Thrones surpassed the expectations of an 88-year-old hospice patient in Providence, Rhode Island.

Claire Walton jokingly told her care team that she wanted to meet the cast of her favorite show before she died. Realizing that was a bit far-fetched, she amended her request, saying she just hoped she could watch the third episode.

Her wish came true on Sunday, CNN affiliate WJAR reported, when she watched the Battle of Winterfell -- accompanied by videos from 10 different cast members talking to her.

Syrio Forel, Ser Davos Seaworth, Pypar, Ser Meryn Trant, a White Walker, Qhono and more. All sending Walton some love.

"How are you doing Claire? It's Liam here," Liam Cunningham said. "I wish you the very best. I hope your days are not bad and I hope you can manage."

The actors, submitting selfie videos in plain clothes, realized they might not be recognizable compared to their popular characters from the Seven Kingdoms of Westeros.

Staz Nair, who played Khaleesi's bodyguard, tried to describe himself as Qhono. "Imagine a beard. A beard, long hair and a horse," Nair said, laughing.

"I just want to say thank you for watching. Thank you for being a fan," he said. "And I want to wish you a very smooth transition. I wish you all the best."

Miltos Yerolemou, the First Sword of Braavos and Arya Stark's teacher, hoped the message made Claire smile.

"I know you can't be here today, but I just wanted to say hello, and that you are with us in spirit and that we're thinking of you and sending you all our love," he said.

Even "Nasty old Ser Meryn Trant," as Ian Beattie described his character, had a message.

"I hope you have a wonderful, wonderful episode three, the Battle of Winterfell," Ian Beattie said. "I hear it's going to be the best episode ever."

A spokesperson for HopeHealth told CNN they can only imagine what this meant to Walton.

The episode aired on Sunday on HBO. Walton died Monday evening.

• Upvote 1