The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

A Game Of Thrones: To the point of the TV show, no spoilers beyond that

Mr.Noodles

55 minutes ago, Miler said:

lol. "Psycho" Dany has been righteous, loyal and courageous throughout the series. That's not gonna change. Can't wait to see her take her place on the iron throne. Poor John is nothing but a loving bumbler. He'll do well to go join his dog with the Wildlings at the end of the series.

She's had her worst impulses held in check. That is over. If you can't even spell Jon's name right move along ;)

I have a couple of thoughts/theories swirling in my head after the last episode..

Spoiler

Varys has mentioned a couple of times that Jon would be a more suitable leader because he doesn't want the throne, or the best leaders are the ones who don't want to lead. That line has come up a few times over the course of the series and books. I believe this is also something that Ned Stark would often say IIRC. Ned didn't want to be hand to the king, who at the time was Robert Baratheon. In response to Ned wanting to decline, or something to the effect of that sort of power doesn't interest him, Robert went on to say "That is why your are perfect for the job". Ned would often remark how the iron throne is extremely uncomfortable, and rightfully so given the responsibility. So I think all of this ends with the people, some how some way, wanting Jon on the throne he doesn't want. Sansa may have a role to play in all of that as well. In the beginning all Sansa wanted was to be a queen or a princess. She was blindly loyal to Joffrey in her pursuit to achieve royalty. However, now that she is all grown up and full of awful life experience she no longer wants the throne or to be a princess or w.e, which is why I think she may end up at least 'Queen of the North', if not maybe even the Iron Throne. Something she wanted so badly when she was younger has come full circle now that she appreciates the responsibility that comes with such positions.

OR with Dany starting to lose her marbles and being blinded by her aspirations to be queen I think the people stop following her. Dany will make some rash decision and piss off the unsullied. Grey worm may lose the will to fight given what happened with Missandei, who died for Dany. At the end of it all I could see either the people following Jon and/or Jon surrendering the south if he can just stay in the north, especially after Giantsbane's line of "you belong in the North". North and South would be separate entities. 

How many times is Tyrion going to underestimate Cersei? 

I liked that Sansa called out Tyrion for being afraid of Daenerys. 

Not noticing the Iron Fleet could have been because everyone was too weary to notice... thanks to Daenerys trying to push them to King's Landing so quickly. 

That scene with Bronn didn't add much. 

5 hours ago, Generational.EP40 said:

I’m disappointed in how the show has lost its edge ever since the writers of HBO took over.

I miss the ruthlessness that made this show legendary :( 

This and the sudden change of pace in the plot is what irks me about this season (and the one before). How earlier on Jon travels from Dragonstone to north of the wall back to Winterfell and back to Dragonstone or in this episode Euron from King's Landing to the Iron Isles and back within mere minutes is just not fitting for GoT, imho.

Edited by Lateralus91

Anyone catch John Oliver last night? Her kept making GoT references and at one point said "In two weeks this network is going to be soooo f***ked....!" :lol:

I think Dan and Dave decided that this had to be the last season, (falling back on their 70 hrs thing) and are now trying to squeeze too much into too short of a season. I'm still going to watch and still going to enjoy, but I feel like there's another season's worth of episodes here....

8 hours ago, Down by the River said:

I liked that Sansa called out Tyrion for being afraid of Daenerys. 

It's why she let him live, she knows hes making bad decisions. And she can probably get to kill him later anyway. 

I thought they were doing a good job capturing all the tensions between characters. The war against the Night King was where everyone all had the same aim. Now that that is over, there isn't a clear leader and there isn't a common goal. However, they might have spent too much time in Winterfell as everything after that seemed rushed.

9 hours ago, Down by the River said:

another thing that occurred to me was this episode was another good example of what happens when Danny follows other peoples advice, it always goes badly. She needs to follow her own lead.

Spoiler

Going in too soon, e.g. she loses another dragon. But when she get's po'd and follows her own lead she can fly straight into a swarm of arrows and survive.

Also didn't know King's Landing was surrounded by a desert, guess winter ended quickly.  I don't mean to come off as a hater but this season has been a colossal disappointment considering the two year wait.  And that coffee cup lol...:picard:

12 hours ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

Dany has to attack the King's Landing dragon defence ballistas on the wall under the cover of night. That's my strategy. 

But the writers will have them do another suicidal frontal charge in broad daylight.  It's like the writers have ZERO knowledge or concept of basic miltary tactics.  I'm no better than a Gomer Pyle but even I know this.