The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate The Last Movie You Saw

marleau_12

Cabin in the Woods - 8/10

A great movie. I want to call it a great throwback to the slasher movies of old, but that's not what it really was. I did enjoy the breakdown of all the tropes and conventions though.

A pretty effective commentary on the state of the horror genre, and the nature of its fans. It was a fairly clever movie, I felt.

Got to watch an advance screening of 'Premium Rush' last night. Here's my review:

I was intrigued when I saw the trailer for 'Premium Rush' late last year, but not anymore. 'Premium Rush' feels very amateur and the writing was below par, which comes as a surprise because David Koepp wrote it and he has wrote some amazing screenplays such as 'Mission Impossible', 'Spider-man' and 'Jurassic Park'. The storyline is all over the place and I wasn't interested. There were a few funny parts, mainly the cutscenes on how Wilee would escape from an accident in the making and the mini storyline between Wilee and the bike cop. To be honest, the mini storyline between Wilee and the bike cop kept me interested and that's not saying much. Joseph Gordon-Levitt did what he could and I certainly did not mind the eye candy of whom is Dania Ramirez, who plays Vanessa; Wilee's on and off fling. To top it all off, a lot of the scenes looked fake, which is a little understandable for this type of movie, but again, it made 'Premium Rush' look like an amateur worked on it.

Rating 1.5/5

It's too bad 'Premium Rush' fails to deliver on any sort of excitement. It's bland and you'll be taking out your phone to check your "To Do List" before it reaches the half way point.

Had a weekend with the nephew and watched 'Big Miracle'.

Stupid movie name aside, it was a really great 'based on real events' movie.

Family friendly, and safe even for a 5 year old.

I remember this 'whale' of a story back when I was a kid but not completely until I watched it again.

I gotta admit, I almost got a bit choked up. Had to keep telling myself, "Don't shed a tear in front of the kid man, don't you do it dammit!"

It wasn't a great movie, but it was a 'feel good(kinda) movie'. Had a pretty good cast as well. Drew Barrymore, Kristen Bell(Gossip Girl, Forgetting Sarah Marshal, Couples Retreat), John Krasinski(The Office) Ted Danson.

Kinda sad though, so be prepared to get a little verklempt.....and if you don't, then you have no soul and need to tell us where you live, so we can come as an angry mob and stake you through the spot where your heart should have been located, for the safety of all the townsfolk and our livestock.

Otherwise, watch it and enjoy a good over-dramatized true story.

Pro-tip - Don't make the mistake I did and waste this movie on watching it with your cousins, nieces or nephews, kids, etc... as it's also a good first date/date-night movie. Let's guys, or girls(the non-shy freaky ones) show their sensitive side to 'their victims', i mean dates, and is sufficiently emotionally stirring in some parts that allows you to 'make your move', as the emotions of what's unfolding get the best of her, or sufficiently lull him into a false sense of security/boredom......you may be able to even cop a feel if you time 'it' right. *wink wink*. You can all thank me later.

:)

Battleship was around what i expected. And i expected Transformers 4, plus a battleship. 6/10

Stupid American 'gung ho' crap aside, the movie featured a weaker than ID4 plot, a very weak alien attack force and a bunch of effects already seen in the Transformers series.

Liam Neeson shamelessly cashes another check. Rihanna didn't show enough curvature for my liking, but the blonde bimbo sure did. The lead role could've been played by any hack, but they went with John Carter. The movie would've been better if it starred Topper Harley and made it a full-out comedy instead.

Biggest disappointment: They did not say 'You Sunk My Battleship!' once. Boooo!

However, the action was good enough to carry enough weight to make it work a look and a turf.

Checked out Hunger Games to see what all the hype was for. Not bad, actually. 8/10

But after watching the first, i have no desire to watch the rest. Just seemed 'enough' to me. But i'm not a teenage girl. Never seen any Twilight crap and never will.

Laughed at Lenny Kravitz in that movie. And Donald Sutherland should just stop already.

Cabin in the Woods - 8/10

A great movie. I want to call it a great throwback to the slasher movies of old, but that's not what it really was. I did enjoy the breakdown of all the tropes and conventions though.

A pretty effective commentary on the state of the horror genre, and the nature of its fans. It was a fairly clever movie, I felt.

Pirates of the Caribbean - 8/10

Decided to have a marathon and after finishing the likes of Star Wars, LOTR, Indina Jones, Harry Potter, Chronicles of Narnia and X-Men I went with the Disney series. It was better than I last remembered it, no classic, but defiantly re-watchable.

Pirates of the Caribbean - 8/10

Decided to have a marathon and after finishing the likes of Star Wars, LOTR, Indina Jones, Harry Potter, Chronicles of Narnia and X-Men I went with the Disney series. It was better than I last remembered it, no classic, but defiantly re-watchable.

Archived