3141 replies to this topic

#2671 Canvoucer Vanuck

Canvoucer Vanuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 11:02 PM

Schroeder is different than all of those players because he doesn't have the same amount of speed. He's decent, but it will be fairly average in the NHL. I remember watching Schroeder play back when he was with the Gophers, and say that he was more like a Derek Roy. The problem we are seeing is that, he is also lacking the intensity of those smaller players that are listed. Though, i do believe he'll have a stint with the Canucks, i think he won't reach his maximum potential until he goes over to the east or a weaker team. The Canucks are soft enough with the twins, and because of that, it doesn't seem make sense to add a forward like Schroeder in the top six.

Have you been watching the Wolves this year? His speed has been evident. He's not MayRay in that he blazes around the rink all the time, but he can still turn on the jets when he needs to and we've seen it happen.
RIP LB28, RR37 and PD38... Forever a Canuck

#2672 Canvoucer Vanuck

Canvoucer Vanuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 11:19 PM

POPULAR

He is not makIng the NHL and neither is Rodin. Epic fail.

Luongo
Shcroeder
Rodin

For

Bjugstad
Clemensen
3rd

Posted Image

First of all, the value coming back in that proposal is not even CLOSE to worth it for us. You're making Bjugstad out to be the equivalent of some star prospect. While he's a good one, he's not worth an elite goaltender in Luongo alone, let alone Luongo+. And Clemmensen plus the 3rd aren't enough to make up the difference.

And second, he was going to get his chance with the Canucks had there not been a lockout. If you have a crystal ball, why not predict the winning lottery winning numbers while you're at it?

#2673 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,738 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 12:59 AM

First of all, the value coming back in that proposal is not even CLOSE to worth it for us. You're making Bjugstad out to be the equivalent of some star prospect. While he's a good one, he's not worth an elite goaltender in Luongo alone, let alone Luongo+. And Clemmensen plus the 3rd aren't enough to make up the difference.

And second, he was going to get his chance with the Canucks had there not been a lockout. If you have a crystal ball, why not predict the winning lottery winning numbers while you're at it?

Classic case of someone undervaluing our players, and overvaluing other teams players.

The guy has probably never even seen Bjugstad play. He just sees that name tossed around on here, and assumes that he's a star prospect.

Bjugstad is a top prospect, but he's still very unproven, and it's not like he's setting the world on fire in the WCHA. There would have to be more on their end for that deal to ever happen.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#2674 Edler's Mind Tricks

Edler's Mind Tricks

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,887 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 02:22 AM

I read some criticism that I agree with, his speed seems to be negated by a lack of anticipation.

Hockey Management Intern for UBC Thunderbirds.
Associate Editor for Dobber Sports Network.
Designing a UBC Hockey Management Degree.

#2675 Fozzy

Fozzy

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 03:02 AM

Lp

#2676 eretz canucks

eretz canucks

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 821 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 08:49 AM

Tallon said in an article that he is just as bullish on Bjugstad as he is on huberdeau. That would make Bjugstad an elite prospect.

#2677 pibroch

pibroch

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:36 AM

Tallon said in an article that he is just as bullish on Bjugstad as he is on huberdeau. That would make Bjugstad an elite prospect.

Or maybe it makes Tallon delusional.

#2678 Joel Heyman

Joel Heyman

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,661 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 01:56 PM

Note how there is no mention of Gudbranson :bigblush:

i44w87.jpgryanroyazzopardi+rolled+a+random+image+p
Blue Team

#2679 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,738 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 02:57 PM

You ever heard of trying to increase the value of your assets? Gillis does that sort of thing with our prospects and players all the time.

Florida doesn't wanna trade either of these guys because they are the succession plan for Florida for the number 1 and 2 center. There's no way they trade either one unless they get a top center prospect back.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#2680 Dasein

Dasein

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,287 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 04:45 PM

Note how there is no mention of Gudbranson :bigblush:

LOL good one :P

Serious note though, probably because Gudbranson was a top 4 NHL defenseman last season as a 19 year old :( I would love it if we could get him. I'd even do Luongo or Schneider for Gudbranson straight up (though I think we could get a pick or two or a mediocre prospect coming our way if we tried hard enough).

Athletes today are scared to make Muhammad Ali Statements.

#2681 Canvoucer Vanuck

Canvoucer Vanuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 11:44 PM

Beauty of a snipe today by Schroeder.

#2682 Jaku

Jaku

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,186 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 12:16 AM

Beauty of a snipe today by Schroeder.

That it was! He really let it rip.
R.I.P- #37 Rick Rypien, #28 Luc Bourdon, #38 Pavol Demitra Forever Canucks.
Posted Image
Credit to Khalifawiz501 for the Sig.
Posted ImageColorado Avalanche GM in CDC STHS Sim League

#2683 WonderTwinPowers

WonderTwinPowers

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 08:28 AM

Lp

#2684 Lonny_Bohonos_14

Lonny_Bohonos_14

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,996 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:35 AM

Burke also said he wouldn't trade Schenn for 10 first round pick. And that he would have selected Reilly 1st overall. <_<

Posted Image

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#2685 Jaku

Jaku

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,186 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 12:34 PM

Burke also said he wouldn't trade Schenn for 10 first round pick. And that he would have selected Reilly 1st overall. <_<

Brian Burke's reasoning - There are several more talented players in this years draft, but I would take Reilly 1st overall anyways.
R.I.P- #37 Rick Rypien, #28 Luc Bourdon, #38 Pavol Demitra Forever Canucks.
Posted Image
Credit to Khalifawiz501 for the Sig.
Posted ImageColorado Avalanche GM in CDC STHS Sim League

#2686 Bite me Burr

Bite me Burr

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,246 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:06 PM

And for those who are still writting him off due to size:

Schroeder - 5'9 - 179

P.Kane - 5'11 - 181

Baertschi - 5'11 - 189

Parise - 5'11 - 195

Ennis - 5'9 - 157

Gerbe - 5'5 - 178

Eberle - 5'11 - 184

Should I go on? All of them are NHL Regulars, some star players. (with the exception of Baertschi who I threw in cause everyone loves him).

If he could get up to about 185 he will be fine (the more the better). And maybe he will grow an inch? I think Kane was 5'10 last year then he grew a bit so maybe JS will too.

hey, why stop there...
Gretzky was only 176lbs and Dionne was also a smurf, so I guess a third line hopefull should be compared as such?

Should we really draw on these numbers to foster support for Jordan? ha Why not compare him to what he is up against. Should we start with Getzlaf? Kane doesnt play a checking game and really? Do I have to point out the moot point in comparing a half talent-halfling to NHL elite small men, especially in this roster case? Come on, homer. Call a spade a spade.
CHARACTER AND TOUGHNESS

#2687 Bite me Burr

Bite me Burr

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,246 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:11 PM

Anyways, I took a picture with him one time. Jordan Schroeder. I am 5'8. I was clearly taller then Schroeder by at least 1.5 Inch. I'm sorry to say, he's not 5'9. It's exaggerated.

I wasnt going to say it so thanks.
CHARACTER AND TOUGHNESS

#2688 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,166 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:40 PM

hey, why stop there...
Gretzky was only 176lbs and Dionne was also a smurf, so I guess a third line hopefull should be compared as such?

Should we really draw on these numbers to foster support for Jordan? ha Why not compare him to what he is up against. Should we start with Getzlaf? Kane doesnt play a checking game and really? Do I have to point out the moot point in comparing a half talent-halfling to NHL elite small men, especially in this roster case? Come on, homer. Call a spade a spade.

So you think Schroeder doesn't have a very high skill level?

How would he have gotten this far if he didn't?

I can call a spade a spade, he is a small player, but I will give him a fair chance and support him like any prospect that we have picked high in the draft rather than just writing him off.

zackass.png

#2689 ashbury

ashbury

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 417 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 09:00 PM

hey, why stop there...

The fact that you called Schroeder a "half talent" and a "third line hopeful" just shows you have no idea what you're talking about. It's a pretty well known fact that Schroeder has top tier skill. He was a first round draft pick that was projected to go between the 5-10 spots. He was ranked as the 5th overall N.A. skater by the CSS. We were very lucky he fell to us. He has the talent to be a top-six NHL player it's just a matter of time until we find if he has enough to overcome the size, but for you to write him off now is ridiculous.

fun fact: The Canucks have the 5th and 10th overall CSS ranked N.A. skaters from the 2009 draft (Schroeder and Kassian)

#2690 Sergei Shirokov

Sergei Shirokov

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,544 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 09:39 PM

Schroeder has prob been the best canuck prospect through almost 20 games. He's been a pretty complete player. On most nights, he s the most noticable forward on chicago. Jensen and Kassian started out hot, but have cooled off since their good start. Connauton and sketch have been pretty sketchy for awhile.

#2691 Rey

Rey

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,595 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 12:29 AM

Have you been watching the Wolves this year? His speed has been evident. He's not MayRay in that he blazes around the rink all the time, but he can still turn on the jets when he needs to and we've seen it happen.

No, I've been watching him his whole career? you? You watch a wolves game?

He's never been a player to blaze around, that isn't his style. Never has been as flashy or fast as a Gerbe or a Ennis.

Edited by Rey, 01 December 2012 - 12:30 AM.

#2692 Bite me Burr

Bite me Burr

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,246 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 11:42 AM

The fact that you called Schroeder a "half talent" and a "third line hopeful" just shows you have no idea what you're talking about. It's a pretty well known fact that Schroeder has top tier skill. He was a first round draft pick that was projected to go between the 5-10 spots. He was ranked as the 5th overall N.A. skater by the CSS. We were very lucky he fell to us. He has the talent to be a top-six NHL player it's just a matter of time until we find if he has enough to overcome the size, but for you to write him off now is ridiculous.

fun fact: The Canucks have the 5th and 10th overall CSS ranked N.A. skaters from the 2009 draft (Schroeder and Kassian)

Oh, so we are talking mainly past tense now...? That he was tops?
As far as writing him off, no, I'm just the big bad realist who sees no place for him as a 3rd line center on the Canucks. Reasons for this have been stated in past posts.

As far as comparing him ro Parise, St. Louis and the like is getting so very CDC. The Wolves boast zero higher-end skill so small wonder we have him as our most talented/skilled Wolf. Compare him to his AHL peers and... he looks? The Caucks are loaded with skill and are farming role players at the moment.

This guy is not 5'9, he is smaller. Glad we could put on our big boy pants and admit some truths on here, especially relevant to 2012. If a guy were to come on here and read these homer posts he'd be under the impression that this guy was not only copmarable in size to Parise, but was also similarly suited to a checking role like Bolland, has the speed of Bure and is likely to become Martin St. Louis... if we'd just give him the chance. He just needs time.

A spade is a spade outside of this thread. The Canucks still require a 3rd line center and the odds of Jordan getting this job are slim to none so it is safe to say that he will be given ample time to turn into Parise, in the AHL.

Edited by Jim Lahey, 01 December 2012 - 11:44 AM.

CHARACTER AND TOUGHNESS

#2693 Dasein

Dasein

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,287 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 12:18 PM

No point arguing people who doubt him because of his height guys.

If you think he won't make it, hate on him all you want. If you think he'll make it, then just let him prove you right.

It's pointless. Only Jordan's determination to make the NHL will decide whether he makes it or not.

We know for a fact that guys smaller than him have made it into the league and a few have played on elite teams at an elite level. We also know that Schroeder has the potential and the skills to make the NHL. So let's just wait and see what he does.

Athletes today are scared to make Muhammad Ali Statements.

#2694 Bite me Burr

Bite me Burr

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,246 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 01:13 PM

No point arguing people who doubt him because of his height guys.

If you think he won't make it, hate on him all you want. If you think he'll make it, then just let him prove you right.

It's pointless. Only Jordan's determination to make the NHL will decide whether he makes it or not.

We know for a fact that guys smaller than him have made it into the league and a few have played on elite teams at an elite level. We also know that Schroeder has the potential and the skills to make the NHL. So let's just wait and see what he does.

His size is ONLY an issue because he is spoken of here as the Canucks possible 3rd line center where you can't be small, unphysical and all the rest that a cup team needs in that role. There is no more to it than that.
I hope we package the guy up with Lu and send him to Florida or something where he can get a real shot to play HIS game as he is NOT a checking center. Size matters there.
CHARACTER AND TOUGHNESS

#2695 Drybone

Drybone

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 01:33 PM

Everything I have seen out of the NHL since the 2004 lockout says the most important asset a play can have now is speed.

Speed, then finish, then size.

I have seen no evidence at all Schroeder will not become an NHL second liner. By time he is 25 he definitely will be.
Posted Image

#2696 Bite me Burr

Bite me Burr

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,246 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 02:11 PM

Everything I have seen out of the NHL since the 2004 lockout says the most important asset a play can have now is speed.

Speed, then finish, then size.

I have seen no evidence at all Schroeder will not become an NHL second liner. By time he is 25 he definitely will be.

Does he have great speed? I agree, speed is great but finish is great too. See Macy Ray.
Since you brought is up, I dont see much to suggest that Jordan will make an impact in the game. Perhaps as a 2nd liner on a weak team he will see some production, but he is showing nothing stat wise (evidence) as to back up your claim here. He plays in every situation and plays lots. Where are his stats? His speed and finish? He is not impressing with his speed, really. He is but what 0.6 PPG? As their go to guy? Hey, it could happen.
CHARACTER AND TOUGHNESS

#2697 Canvoucer Vanuck

Canvoucer Vanuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 02:39 PM

No, I've been watching him his whole career? you? You watch a wolves game?

He's never been a player to blaze around, that isn't his style. Never has been as flashy or fast as a Gerbe or a Ennis.

I've been following since last season, and you can see his speed out there in pretty much any Wolves game. Maybe it's because you've seen him 'his whole career' so he doesn't seem all that fast to you anymore but he was the 2nd fastest guy or something on the Wolves last year, behind only Billy Sweatt. Just because he doesn't blaze around doesn't mean he doesn't have that speed to begin with. You can see it on rushes and 2-on-1's.

#2698 Ossi Vaananen

Ossi Vaananen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,821 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 02:51 PM

Does he have great speed? I agree, speed is great but finish is great too. See Macy Ray.
Since you brought is up, I dont see much to suggest that Jordan will make an impact in the game. Perhaps as a 2nd liner on a weak team he will see some production, but he is showing nothing stat wise (evidence) as to back up your claim here. He plays in every situation and plays lots. Where are his stats? His speed and finish? He is not impressing with his speed, really. He is but what 0.6 PPG? As their go to guy? Hey, it could happen.

He struggled the first 5 games, he usually does (only 1 assist in that span). In the last 14 games he has 11 points (7g 4a), including 2 multipoint games. Those stats should back up the claim. He's probably been the most consistent forward on the Wolves this season.

2d7ye0p.jpg

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#2699 ashbury

ashbury

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 417 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 03:01 PM

He struggled the first 5 games, he usually does (only 1 assist in that span). In the last 14 games he has 11 points (7g 4a), including 2 multipoint games. Those stats should back up the claim. He's probably been the most consistent forward on the Wolves this season.

You should make another GDT for the game tonight pleeeease

If not I'm gonna do it and it won't be pretty

#2700 Ghostsof1915

Ghostsof1915

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 22,798 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 10:54 AM

It's too late, but Landon Ferraro might have been a better choice.

But Marcus Johansson certainly seems to be the better forward that was available. Was he even on the Canucks and Gradin's list?
GO CANUCKS GO!
"The Canucks did not lose in 1994. They just ran out of time.." Barry MacDonald Team1040

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.