The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kellan Tochkin Talk

ilikecanucks

• 2 months later...

For some reason Tochkin had fallen out of favor with Vancouver. I believe he was the only player under contract with the Canucks that did not receive an invite to training camp rather reported directly to the Comets camp instead. He was likely ECHL bound before the trade so maybe this will be a good start over for him.

Tochkin was a throw away in this trade. What Vancouver really traded was the 4th round draft choice while Carolina dumped salary.... Particularly with Welsh where he will be making $1M a year to play in Utica. Capgeek shows him on a $1M one way contract. If Dalpe stays in Vancouver it could be a good trade.

Tochkin was a throw away in this trade. What Vancouver really traded was the 4th round draft choice while Carolina dumped salary.... Particularly with Welsh where he will be making $1M a year to play in Utica. Capgeek shows him on a $1M one way contract. If Dalpe stays in Vancouver it could be a good trade.

People are talking about Welsh like his cap hit is 1M but that's just his salary. He is on a two year deal, with an AAV of 850K. Eriksson is making more (although Welsh is obviously overpaid). Now what's confusing to me is that the first year of his contract was two-way (105K/700K) and his 2nd year is one way (1M). Can someone clear up how his cap hit gets calculated if he's left in the AHL? (I assume it would be significantly less unless there's a rule relating to age/number of games played that affects cap hit.)

In the end we get an AHL player and a probable roster player for a bit of salary, a 4th and a throwaway player who wouldn't have done much in the AHL. Where's the downside for us exactly?

Archived