The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Vancouver Whitecaps Thread

Tenacious

Kinda new this was coming after chimiento left. After le toux writing was on the wall. I agree that Rennie has done a good job with this club but it doesn't seem hassli was given a fair shot under him. Really though, from the bottom the only direction the Caps COULD have gone was up. Seems unless you're scottish or played with the railhawks last year you don't get the same opportunity.

Even though a lot of players are leaving, there's no way you can say the team isn't better now than it was at the end of last season.

I loved Hassli and I wish there was a place for him, but with emergence of Mattocks and now the signing of Kenny Miller, there was no way the whitecaps could keep Hassli on the bench taking up a designated player spot.

This. Hassli did not have the best cardio either. Kenny Miller will replace him, and has traditionally put up better numbers on a bigger stage. The Hassli DP spot is much needed somewhere else on the roster. Too many late goals, and the LA game might have been the final straw.

I dont follow the Whitecaps alot, but from the games i've seen, Hassli either has a yellow card or getting a red card for doing something stupid. He seems undisciplined, unpredictable and lazy at times, maybe Rennie is fed up with his antics. Also, wasnt he good friends with Chumiento?? the guy is gone now and so is Le Teux sp? Out with the French and in with the Scots lol.

• Upvote 1

From a team standpoint this is seemingly a good move. From a marketing standpoint I think Hassli brought more than some might realize. A big strong tough player does wonders to attract people who dislike soccer because of its reputation as a wuss-sport. His value as a fan favourite equals value for ticket sales. Additionally, turnover frustrates people, especially if you're not getting players back. Casual fans can't be bothered to remember every single player and I'm sure the roster spots, allocation money and multiple drafts cnfuse people too.

If we win significantly more games because of this, yeah, its worth it from a marketing standpoint because winning is th bottom line. But its always a risk trading away a big name player when yourre trying to attract new fans!

It was a move that had to be done. It just makes sense. Hassli's big salary, international and DP designations were of no use to us sitting on the bench as really the 4th striker on the depth chart behind Mattocks, Miller, and Camilo.

I will miss Hassli, but opening up the DP and international spot is a good move. As well, the pick from Toronto is most likely going to be high, given how badly TFC sucks balls. We got Mattocks and Salgado through the superdraft, so it's an exciting thing to be drafting that high.

I know a lot of fans are upset over this move, and a bit frustrated with Rennie making a lot of moves recently. The thing is, Rennie was brought in and given full reins over the squad, and to build HIS team. The players we had simply just weren't performing under Rennie's system. A lot of the players left over from Teitur and Soehn's time were inherited by Rennie.

You can't say that the team we have now isn't better than what we started out with to start the year. We've done some seriously upgrading in the quality department. Robson is an absolute beauty (what a game he had versus LA, and him chirping Becks was priceless), and I suspect the fans will warm up to him and Kenny Miller real quick. Kenny Miller is a quality striker, who is a smart player off the ball, and is versatile. He doesn't have to play as an out-and-out striker. He can play out wide, or just behind the striker as a CF. I think once he regains his form, he will do some damage for us.

I'm pretty sure Rennie has something in the works. The 'Caps paid $250k to get that third DP spot, so I am about 99.99% sure it is going to be filled. I'm just curious as to who. I've heard rumblings about Carlos Bocanegra to solidify out backline (Demerit should be happy if that comes true).

The more I think about how this team has improved, the more grateful I am that we managed to snag a player of Y.P. Lee's quality on a non-DP contract. It's insane. He is easily the most high-profile player on the team. I love watching him do those step-overs, lol.

If Mattocks keeps playing the same way then it's only a matter of time until he heads to Europe.

With the weird player development program, 'Caps can pay him a lot of money until he hits a certain age or has played a certain amount of games and it won't count against the salary cap. Unless we trade him, we have him for at least 3-5 more years.

Can't blame the organisation.

We are amazing.

Not so much at football....

I certainly could use more of Scotland in Vancouver, ha. I miss it like crazy.

I've heard rumblings about Carlos Bocanegra to solidify out backline (Demerit should be happy if that comes true).

...please let this happen.

Edited by ckamo

Im not surprised Hassli is gone, he was not a fit in Rennie's system. I am surprised they traded him at this point in the season. Depth which was once a strong hold of ours in the forwards position is now just an injury or two away from disaster, and it always ends up biting you in the ass at times like these..

I truly hope they do plan on bringing someone in and this isn't just a cost - saving measure. MLS rules are very bizzare and whether or not the caps actually had to pay the 250k 3rd DP fee remains to be seen, seeing as we ended up trading Hassli so soon after signing Miller.. Its hard to explain but apparently its happened before with Seattle where they technically had 3 DPs for a short period of time before trading one of them and never ended up having to pay for that 3rd spot that point in time.

This much turnover this late in the year im never a fan of tho.

I certainly could use more of Scotland in Vancouver, ha. I miss it like crazy.

I'm looking forward to getting away next Summer haha...

I'm proud to be a Scot, but I'd choose Vancouver over Scotland any day. I guess people just enjoy being somewhere different than where they grow up.