The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rick Rypien Passes Away

Darcy Rota

RIP Rypien, condolences to the family too.

I kinda figured he had really bad personal issues if he had to take months of leave from hockey at a time, but this is just kind of mind-blowing.

Blah.

He had his internal battles, unfortunate that they kept dragging him down. He was one tough s-o-b, and he had some memorable tilts. My prayers are with his family, he will be missed.

Wow. this shocked and saddened me. Even though he wasn't on our team, he played here for a while, so it has still impacted me a little. Rest in Peace Ripper. You will never be forgotten as one of the best fighters in your era.

Guest Dasein

Oh my god...I get home from work and turn TSN on and this is what I saw...

All those personal leaves and the Canucks disclosing any information regarding Rick, and saying that they were trying their best to help him...I had no idea it was this serious. Hard to believe that he had to literally fight to keep a job.

This disgusts me - the fact that we enjoyed and remember him for the very thing that may have pushed him over the edge - fighting in the NHL. I can never enjoy fighting in the NHL again.

I hope for Rick Rypien's sake and Derek Boogard's sake that the NHL gets rid of the fighters. Fights still have a place in the game - just get rid of the guys that put on the skates to do one thing - fight.

My deepest condolences to Rypien's family. So sad he passed away. I was looking forward to playing Winnepeg next season...

<br />RIP IN RIPPER. In times like this, we are all Canucks. I'am going to find some time tomorrow and go down to Rogers Arena and drop off a few momentos by the Roger Nielsen statue to get a makeshift memorial going. I remember when Luc Bourdon passed away, there was a makeshift memorial then and scores of Canucks fans came on down to drop off things to add to the memorial and for Canucks fans to gather. Also an idea is make a donation to Canucks Place with a 37 dollar donation or whatever you desire, a good gesture in memory of the Ripper!<br />

#37 Rypien, Forever a Canuck.

Will the Canucks organization do something like they did for Bourdon? By that I mean have players have his number or initials on there helmets or jerseys and have the first game dedicated to him or something.

Archived