The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Official European Football (Soccer) Thread

1 minute ago, Scottish⑦Canuck said:

6 miles from the stadium seems like a weird place to light a firecracker.

It would have to be a hell of a firecracker to shatter the windows and injure a player as well.

Yeah, I'm not quite sure about the credibility of the source either. In any event, the whole thing is ridiculous.

The match will be postponed to tomorrow, apparently.

Shocking news...

At the moment they say it was 3 bombs, and rumours are that other devices has been found as well.

Hope the Dortmund player, who got injured isn't severely injured. 

Huge credit to Monaco fans singing Dortmund, Dortmund....

Edited by spook007

Good news is that Bartra's injuries aren't life-threatening:

Defender Marc Bartra underwent surgery on his wrist after a trio of explosions rocked Borussia Dortmund's team bus Tuesday, the German club has confirmed.

It happened just over an hour before a Champions League quarter-final against Monaco.

After consulting with police in the Dortmund-Hochsten region and with UEFA authorities, Dortmund announced that the match would be rescheduled for Wednesday at 6:45 p.m. local time (12:45 p.m. ET).

North Rhine-Westphalia police called it an "attack with serious explosives," according to the BBC.

"Bartra was injured, on his hand and his arm, but nothing that would be life-threatening," club CEO Hans-Joachim Watzke said, as reported by the Guardian's Philip Oltermann. "The team is obviously in complete shock. Our task is to process this experience, because the match is taking place in less than 24 hours. That's our job."

Pictures show the team's coach on the side of a road with windows smashed and debris on the ground. A police spokesman confirmed to DW Sports the explosion occurred shortly after the bus left the team's hotel, roughly 10 kilometres from Dortmund's stadium.

According to The Associated Press, goalkeeper Roman Burki told Swiss daily Blick that glass shards from a back window caused Bartra's injury.

Tickets remain valid for Wednesday's rescheduled fixture.

http://www.thescore.com/chlg/news/1277977-dortmund-s-bartra-undergoes-wrist-surgery-after-explosions-near-team-bus

Edited by Brad Marchand
  • Upvote 1

Brutal news regarding these explosions on the Dortmund's team bus. thankfully everyone is fine and hopefully Marc Bartra's recovery goes smoothly. cheering for Dortmund once more as they should be hungry to bounce after their Der Klassiker loss this past weekend vs Bayern @Lateralus91

on another note, Juve are on absolute fire and continued where they left off in Serie A with another win. I really want them to win as Dybala is becoming one of the best players in soccer but with Barca at Camp Nou, you just never know (look at PSG collapse in Round of 16). would love for Juve to edge out Barca as it gets one Spanish giant out of the way.

Edited by Beary Sweet
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, ReggieBush said:

Si

Im not a Juve fan in particular though, I support all Italian teams in Europe except for Lazio and Inter. Udinese is my club though, Nonno is friulan. 

4 minutes ago, Harvey Spector said:

Si, e tu?

Sono anche io.

Juve's been my team for years. Conte, Zambrotta, Zidane, Del Piero, Pirlo and now Buffon and of course Chiellini. Juventus stadium is on my bucket list.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, ReggieBush said:

Si

Im not a Juve fan in particular though, I support all Italian teams in Europe except for Lazio and Inter. Udinese is my club though, Nonno is friulan. 

Cool. I hate Inter as well.  I've been a Juventino almost as long as a Canucks fan.  I like Udinese because they are the "little zebras". Juventus has gotten some good players from Udinese over the years. Alexis Sanchez is a stud. I loved watching him at Udinese. Antonio Di Natale is one of my favourite all time Italian players. 

Edited by Harvey Spector

2 minutes ago, MJDDawg said:

Sono anche io.

Juve's been my team for years. Conte, Zambrotta, Zidane, Del Piero, Pirlo and now Buffon and of course Chiellini. Juventus stadium is on my bucket list.

Awesome. Another Juventino on a Canucks forum!!  We are going all the way this year. Buffon and Del Piero are my favourites. Roberto Baggio was one of the greatest Italian players ever. Loved watching him at Juve and with the Italian national team. Watch out for La Nazionale. We got some stud young Italian players coming up. Belotti, Bernardeschi, Berardi, Verratti, Insigne, Donnarumma, Rugani, Zappacosta, Gagliardini, Caldara. We have a good chance to make a run at the next World Cup in 2018. 

11 minutes ago, MJDDawg said:

Sono anche io.

Today would have been an awesome day to be at Juventus stadium...

1 minute ago, Harvey Spector said:

Awesome. Another Juventino on a Canucks forum!!  We are going all the way this year. Buffon and Del Piero are my favourites. Roberto Baggio was one of the greatest Italian players ever. Loved watching him at Juve and with the Italian national team. Watch out for La Nazionale. We got some stud young Italian players coming up. Belotti, Bernardeschi, Berardi, Verratti, Insigne, Donnarumma, Rugani, Zappacosta, Gagliardini, Caldara. We have a good chance to make a run at the next World Cup in 2018. 

CDC needs more Italians on here.

It wasn't that long ago that the Azzurri were starting to look old and the soccer world was talking about how we could only play great defensive soccer with little offensive flair and creativity.  You're bang on with the number of stud youngsters coming up. We showed glimpses of that speed and creativity in Brazil so I'm already looking forward to what our team will look like over the next couple of years.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, MJDDawg said:

Sono anche io.

It looks amazing. I want to take my Nonno and his brother to Italy for Euro 2020 (god willing, they are getting up there in age) and I assume they will play at least one match there. Probably at San Siro too.

4 minutes ago, Harvey Spector said:

I picked them at the stat of the season, the deepest squad in the world IMO. As for La Nazionale, I just hope we can get to the WC. Even though we have a fantastic mix of young talent and veteran class, a playoff scares me. If we get there, I have no doubt we will be a top contender. You never no, Balotelli could turn it around and be a part of the mix.

@MJDDawg @Harvey Spector where in Italy are you from?