The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Official European Football (Soccer) Thread

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-39442098

this is such a wonderful joke

The sculptor behind a statue of Cristiano Ronaldo that left football fans scratching their heads has said his work is just "a matter of taste".

Emanuel Santos said the bust, unveiled on the Portuguese island of Madeira, was "not as simple as it seems" to create.

The unveiling of the Ronaldo statue led many on social media to question the work's resemblance to the player.

It was revealed at a ceremony to name the island's airport after him.

"It is impossible to please the Greeks and Trojans. Neither did Jesus please everyone," Mr Santos said.

He said that his creation was "not as simple as it seems" to produce, adding that it took him 15 days to complete and that the finished item "was a matter of taste", the Guardian newspaper reports.

_95380881_afp.jpg

_95390528_ronaldobust.jpg

a30ecf407c0e33dd6eddc56c75a547e7.png

Edited by GLASSJAW

http://www.thescore.com/liga/news/1267485

United are looking on pulling Griezmann's release clause and it's apparently around €85 million. It all depends if we qualify for next year's Champs League which looks like we seem to be on our way considering the competition we have to face and none are really a threat other than maybe Lyon, Schalke, Celta Vigo but we seem to be the favorites plus we are also still in contention for a top 4 spot in the PL being just 4 points behind Liverpool with 2 games in hand. West Brom are an interesting team but it should be an easy win though we always make it tough on ourselves against teams that have no aspirations other than surviving from being relegated. It will be interesting how things goes especially after the international break. Go United!

Edited by Beary Sweet

Mata just underwent groin surgery and there's no apparent timeline for his return. He'll probably miss the remainder of the season. It's a shame. He was having one of his best seasons as a Red Devil recording 6 goals and a couple assists. Hope that Mkhitaryan, Lingard, Rashford, Martial and Rooney can fill in well for him

United drop points vs West Brom and earn a 0-0 draw at home.  Martial, Fellaini, Lingard, Rashford all created good chances but weren't able to solve Foster. Rashford came the closest a couple times with a couple of long range efforts off a free kick and on the attack but Foster denied both. Martial also had a few chances of his own putting one wide, and heading one nearly into the back of the net in the 1st half. Fellaini had a effort or two but he wasn't able to finish. Mkhitaryan hit one from close range but again, Foster was there. De Gea got tested late but he easily stopped it though it hit the crossbar but no harm done. Tough match to be honest. This was a match where we could've used all 3 points. They needed their stars Ibra and Pogba in the lineup but they're dealing with suspension and injury respectively. Herrera could've helped as well with his solid holding midfield role, protecting the back four and creating opportunities for our attackers.Gap for 4th extends to 6 with Liverpool beating Everton but we do have two games in hand. Hope we beat bottom dwelling Sunderland to edge closer to Liverpool! Go United

Edited by Beary Sweet

On 3/30/2017 at 9:47 PM, Beary Sweet said:

http://www.thescore.com/liga/news/1267485

United are looking on pulling Griezmann's release clause and it's apparently around €85 million. It all depends if we qualify for next year's Champs League which looks like we seem to be on our way considering the competition we have to face and none are really a threat other than maybe Lyon, Schalke, Celta Vigo but we seem to be the favorites plus we are also still in contention for a top 4 spot in the PL being just 4 points behind Liverpool with 2 games in hand. West Brom are an interesting team but it should be an easy win though we always make it tough on ourselves against teams that have no aspirations other than surviving from being relegated. It will be interesting how things goes especially after the international break. Go United!

3500.jpg?w=300&q=55&auto=format&usm=12&f

---

I think 2-2 tomorrow.  But I also thought we'd beat West Brom and wouldn't lose 5-1 (either time) so I know nothing!

• Upvote 1

Mourinho needs to figure his $&!# out. We can never unlock a team that sits deep and keeps 10 men behind the ball. Europa is our only hope for CL next season.

Also, even though I think Griezmann is a great player, I really hope we don't go for him. Him and Pogba don't suit the same system and I'm sure we could find a cheaper options available. 

On 4/1/2017 at 8:42 PM, CaptainCanuck001 said:

Mourinho needs to figure his $&!# out. We can never unlock a team that sits deep and keeps 10 men behind the ball. Europa is our only hope for CL next season.

Also, even though I think Griezmann is a great player, I really hope we don't go for him. Him and Pogba don't suit the same system and I'm sure we could find a cheaper options available. 

We do have 2 games in hand on Liverpool and 6 points behind so all we have to do is win both matches against Everton and Sunderland and we'll be in a deadlock with Liverpool. The way we're going though, it's not looking good. We have another match filled month and we need to start winning soon to get in a groove. Idk. We dominated yesterday but we just can't find the back of the net. The team is hopeless without Pogba, Ibra, Herrera, Smalling, Jones. Winning will soon come. It takes time and I think Mourinho will eventually figure it out. The team is lifeless without Pogba and Ibra imo and we need more from guys like Martial and Rashford whenever the stars are not in the lineup

26 minutes ago, CaptainCanuck001 said:

We are actually $&!#. Lucky if we even make the final of the EL. 

Ibra saves the day again but seriously I want Mourinho to start Shaw. Kid is special and makes blistering runs down the left flank and defends well also. Blind is good but he isn't as good as Shaw. Pogba and Mkhitaryan should've started in the 1st place. Mourinho continues his defensive tactics but the team seriously needs to up their intensity on the attack. 

21 hours ago, Beary Sweet said:

Ibra saves the day again but seriously I want Mourinho to start Shaw. Kid is special and makes blistering runs down the left flank and defends well also. Blind is good but he isn't as good as Shaw. Pogba and Mkhitaryan should've started in the 1st place. Mourinho continues his defensive tactics but the team seriously needs to up their intensity on the attack. 

Mourinho totally dogged Shaw the other day. I highly doubt he'll get a start any time soon...

Ibra does it once more. He continues his great start with United in the PL. a big 3-0 win even though it was over Sunderland. Ibra started things once more receiving the ball from his back and firing it into the bottom corner from 18 yards out. Mkhitaryan came in firing after the interval with a wonderful finish. Late in the game, Rashford sealed it after taking Ibra's through ball and wasted no time ripping it. Judging from United's Twitter, they played well and they continue their pursuit for top 4 in PL. Romero filled in for De Gea since he had a minor problem and did well. A couple good saves on Defoe off a free kick, Anichebe from close range and Cattermole's strike. Hopefully this will be a sign of consistency for United as we try and lock down a CL though it would be nice if we secure a top 4 spot, EL is still the best shot for this team to win and our quest in winning the title starts Thursday in the 1st leg vs Anderlecht. Hopefully we get the job done and be in the driver's seat early. Go United!